Team Prometheus

Posted by: Monroe - Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:42 pm
 [ 235 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Team Prometheus 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:21 am
Here are some photos of the new (to us) shop equipment. These are (before) shots as I'm rebuilding and repainting all the equipment as we go here.

It's a rocket factory!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:32 pm
If you are going down the 3 phase route just be very careful I have forgotten a lot of what I learned to get a piece of paper saying I was a qualified electrical engineer but the thing I do really remember if that its 115V or 240V its often possible to learn from your mistakes( :oops: I have learned to fly unassisted on 2 occasions once was my fault once it was someone else's) but if you screw up with 3 phase and turn brown and crispy you don't have any more opportunities to learn from your mistakes.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:49 am
Well I was a GSE in the Navy (gas systems electrical) or Gas Turbines Electrical so I have been lit up once or twice by 440v but nothing higher than that.
Had a buddy on the USS Antietam that grabbed a bus bar at 600v. But I'm not ignoring what your saying. I do lot's of stuff that could turn me into a Crispy Critter.
The only real worry I have is working alone. Until we can hire some cronies and an intern or 2 I do have to be extra careful.
I get help now sometimes for weeks but when I'm on my own again I have to be careful your right. Thanks!

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:21 pm
As you work with rockets I guess you are happy with a certain level of risk :wink: :twisted: other bits of paper I have suggest I might know a little bit about computers and in computing its always good to have a backup plan so I suggest when working on 3 phase make sure there is someone else with you and have a sturdy lump of wood nearby. Mind you I am not sure that having a mate hit you with a lump of wood is the best backup plan in the world but sometimes beggars can't be choosers. :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:53 pm
I will be using low voltage control circuits (24v) that should prevent most accidents. But yeah during the initial wiring part. Rubber boots and gloves are standard safety attire. I have insulated screwdrivers also and the one hand rule applies.
Still it is quite hard to knock someone off a 3 phase line if it gets a hold of you. So a good size log is also appropriate.
I have had lots of industrial training I do sometimes forget that those around me likely do not. So I guess those boring safety classes will be in order all over again.
So we need a safety officer and I know just the guy to ask to do that. Stewart would be the right guy for that job. I'm interested in links to good safety information if anyone's interested in posting any.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:26 am
Monroe wrote:
Still it is quite hard to knock someone off a 3 phase line if it gets a hold of you. So a good size log is also appropriate.

Fortunately I have never had to do that but I have heard a few of the horror stories and by Murphy's law if you have the log available you won't need it but that's much better than not having and needing.

Monroe wrote:
I have had lots of industrial training I do sometimes forget that those around me likely do not. So I guess those boring safety classes will be in order all over again.
So we need a safety officer and I know just the guy to ask to do that. Stewart would be the right guy for that job. I'm interested in links to good safety information if anyone's interested in posting any.

Sound like things are going well at your end we are still sorting out the patent/s so our worst injuries are paper cuts :wink: :twisted: but we will have the joys of all that health & safety paper work to look forward to if we can raise the capital to build a proof of concept prototype.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:30 am
Monroe wrote:

Fortunately I have never had to do that but I have heard a few of the horror stories and by Murphy's law if you have the log available you won't need it but that's much better than not having and needing.

Monroe wrote:

Sound like things are going well at your end we are still sorting out the patent/s so our worst injuries are paper cuts :wink: :twisted: but we will have the joys of all that health & safety paper work to look forward to if we can raise the capital to build a proof of concept prototype.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:09 am
I for sure wish you luck. We can do prototyping for others as well fairly soon now.

I hate paper cut's by the way sometimes they last a long time too.

Looking forward to Space Access this year.

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:28 am
Personally I don't believe in patents they are just good ways for competitors to steal your work. If you have something really good just don't show it to anyone :) It takes tons of money to enforce patents and it takes too much time to get them.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:59 am
Monroe wrote:
Personally I don't believe in patents they are just good ways for competitors to steal your work. If you have something really good just don't show it to anyone :) It takes tons of money to enforce patents and it takes too much time to get them.

I agree the patent system is often abused especially these days with patent trolls with expensive lawyers but our reasoning of going down the patent route is that we will need serious amounts of money to build working prototypes and if we have a patent pending as an asset of our company it may enable us to get the investment needed to build the proof off concept that will be needed to get even more serious amounts of money to up-scale to a commercially viable #NewSpace business.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:22 pm
My father has 9 patents including an ion source for atomic particle accelerators. He invented a new wafer cooling system by passing helium on the back side of the wafer during processing. That patent forced the entire industry to copy it or go out of business. The court battles went on for 10 years.
I had a patent pending myself on a cooling device that used a peltier to cool the processor of PC way back in 1990. It was stolen and I had no money to peruse legal action.
I will never file for a patent again.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:28 am
The shop is shaping up I just finished unloading the last of the heavy equipment today. I also retrieved the antenna tower.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:00 am
I had hoped to finish our new shop before Space Access 15 but now I have to get ready to go to the conference and for my wife to arrive from Canada so until after the conference I have to do clean up and get ready for the road trip. Ray and I will ride the Harley 1000 miles to Phoenix and be doing some site seeing along the way there and back. I have to finish some modifications to the sportster to make the trip more comfortable.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Sun May 24, 2015 2:39 am
Space Access 15 was great! Back to work on the new shop. We kicked out a prototype light weight quick acting valve for Paul Breed @unreasonablerocket right now it's raining cats and dogs. It's been raining for weeks now it's hard on construction when it's raining so much.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:46 am
We have just about finished the shop! I'll post some photo's later. We are also building an Arocket turbopump designed by Lloyd Droppers with CAD design by Lars Osborne. Paul Breed is supplying the electric motor for testing the pump. This is a Peroxide/Gasoline engine we are working on.

The impeller for that pump is being printed now by Eric Gustafson.

I just acquired a 65.5ft 100 ton vessel named the Ava Marie in Port O'Conner Texas. We are now looking for a barge sea worthy for the Gulf of Mexico.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next