Headlines > News > Da Vinci Project Launch: Temporary on hold

Da Vinci Project Launch: Temporary on hold

Published by Sigurd De Keyser on Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:33 pm
Share
More share options
Tools

chabot imageThe Golden Palace.com Space Program Powered by the da Vinci Project announced that it has revised its October 2nd planned flight to space in pursuit of the Ansari X PRIZE.

Contributing factors to this revision were availability of a few key components and their integration into the overall space flight program. The Project will provide public notice of its intended flights as soon as practicable under the auspices of the Ansari X PRIZE, notwithstanding the flight plans of any other competitor.

“The flight insurance for the 2 launches has been secured”, says Brian Feeney, Project Leader. “We’re still a go for launch. We’ve made milestone progress since the early August arrival of our title sponsor, Golden Palace.com and we intend to prove that Canadians can and will put a man into space”.

An anonymous highly placed source says; “A 2 WEEK delay..”

UPDATE:
Alan Boyle: Less than 10 days before its scheduled rocket launch, the da Vinci Project says its bid to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize is on hold for the next few weeks. The postponement of the scheduled Oct. 2 launch means that Scaled Composites’ SpaceShipOne team has a clear shot at winning the $10 million in the next couple of weeks.

Da Vinci team leader Brian Feeney told the Toronto Star that his team’s balloon-based launch is being delayed because it could not be done safely in the previously planned time frame. “We’ve evaluated where we’re at in the project. We’re essentially short a couple of key pieces of hardware that is putting us a few weeks out of sync. Not (by) months, but not days,” the Star quoted Feeney as saying.

The Star said Feeney declined to specify what those pieces of hardware were.

Word of the postponement was also posted to the da Vinci / GoldenPalace.com Web site. The Web advisory said the da Vinci Project would provide public notice of future flights “as soon as practicable.”
Click here to continue reading Alan Boyle’s article

Other articles:
space.com: Canadian X Prize Team Delays Launch Attempt
“[Feeney] still wants to be up and down by Oct. 16,” said Dan Gunnlaughson, Kindersley Airport manager and engineer. “So we’re talking days, maybe a week in delay.” (space.com seems to agree with a 14 days or 2 week delay)

xprize.org: Canadian Team Revises its Planned Flight to Space
sask.cbc.ca: Rocket project at Kindersley on hold
ctv.ca: Canadian team postpones first stab at X Prize
thestar.com: Canadian space race team postpones launch
cnews.canoe.ca: Cdn X Prize team postpones launch
globetechnology.com: Canadian team delays space launch
wired.com: Da Vinci Team Delays Launch
canada.com: Sask. rocket launch delayed
cbc.ca: Launch of Canadian manned space mission on hold
pej.org: Canadian Team space shot delayed
canoe.ca: Canadian team set to make a bid for the X Prize space race postpones launch
universetoday.com: Da Vinci Project Pushes Back Launch
slashdot.org: Da Vinci Project Postpones X-Prize Attempt
physorg.com: Da Vinci Holds on Planned Manned Flight to Space
reuters.com: Private Canadian Spacecraft Launch on Hold
tallahassee.com: Canadian News Briefs
technewsworld.com: Canadian X Prize Team Postpones Launch

No comments
Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this article!
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
© 2014 The International Space Fellowship, developed by Gabitasoft Interactive. All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy | Terms of Use