Community > Forum > All other competitions > Next flight contest

Next flight contest

Posted by: Roy - Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:58 pm
 [ 2 posts ] 
Next flight contest 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Next flight contest   Posted on: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:58 pm
May I suggest that the next goal be MACH 12 at 100km up. I think that some of the suggestions reach too far and a more modest step is required. See TUI Engineering , to find out why I suggest this speed and height.

TUI has proposed a space tether system that in one variation can pick up a payload (up to 30,000lbs) from a 100km altitude and mach 12, and fling it into LEO. This works both ways of course and can de-orbit as well. They have produced some engineering studies www.tethers.com/papers/HASTOLAIAAPaper.pdf and www.tethers.com/papers/JPC00HASTOL.pdf. These make forsome very interisting reading, and represent what I think is the cheapest method to orbit. De-orbit would return momentum to the tether system so re-boost could be minimal.

Post    Posted on: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:42 am
To increase suborbital velocity by a little bit more than three times may be a good next step on the way into the real next goal orbit.

Under the aspect of the WTN XPRIZE being a technology prize it would be interesting what technology you propose a competition for.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)