Community > Forum > Official Armadillo Aerospace Forum > Has Armadillo lost interest in space?

Has Armadillo lost interest in space?

Posted by: prickett233 - Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:33 am
 [ 16 posts ] 
Has Armadillo lost interest in space? 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Has Armadillo lost interest in space?   Posted on: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:33 am
I am an advid reader of the weekly update at the armadillo website, however ever since armadillo's big crash and now that the xprize has been won it appears the armadillo team has lost interest in reaching there goals. This is supported by the fact that the no longer put out weekly updates in a timely fashion.

What do you other readers think? Please would someone from the armadillo team update this thread with the reason to the lack of weekly updates.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:48 am
yeah, i find myself hanging out for updates every week.

I think that you will find that they are still having trouble getting parts quickly ;-)

Andrew

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:22 am
Oh, we are as busy as we've always been. The next vehicle is very nearly complete, with only the electronics and a few other minor things still needing to be worked out (we're waiting on the custom electronics boards right now). In the meantime we've been very busy experimenting with the LOX/Methanol engines.

As for John not making timely updates of late, I'd speculate that it has something to do with having a baby in his life now. Priorities, you know :)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post No big problem   Posted on: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:34 am
I have a hard time waiting for each update. I hate it when they are late or when one is skipped, but I'm just thankful that we get the updates at all. I've been following Armadillo for well over a year now, and there have been other times when updates have been late or skipped. I don't think that this alone (at this point at least) is a sign that they are slowing down.

As they have stated themselves though, their priorities have changed now that the x-prize has been won. They wouldn't be working on the LOX/Methanol engines at all if they were still working against a December deadline to compete for the x-prize.

I really hope they get several successful flights out of their new vehicle before a killer crash. I'm glad they're adding the drogue chute so that their next crash will (hopefully) not destroy the vehicle. They've proven that their idea works. I'm mostly concerned about the reliability of their mixed monopropellent engines. So I'm glad they are working on a potential alternative.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:29 pm
John's team worked the most dangerous tool "Lox Engine". Lox Engine is far risky. I don't like the sound of "150 psi, methanol boils around 130 C." It's too much pressure. Nails will pop out or shoot the inner ship. The best thing is cancel armadillo project.

Hydrogen Peroxide monopropellant won't go any farther to orbit.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:54 pm
Quote:
Hydrogen Peroxide monopropellant won't go any farther to orbit.

It does on the planet I live on. Black Arrow, look it up.

Quote:
I don't like the sound of "150 psi

The boilers of early 20th century steam ships often exceeded this pressure. Heavy duty for sure but a hundred years ago.

Quote:
Lox Engine is far risky

Silence fool.

Quote:
The best thing is cancel armadillo project.

:evil:

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:16 am
I think this one needs to be locked.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:01 am
Well, it looks like my speculation about the delayed update was incorrect. It was not apparently due to new fatherhood, but a very busy week at id Software. There are no photos or video in the latest update, but there it is for you who were worried.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:05 pm
In fact, they have very important news - as i understood, they finally got the LOX engine smoothly running and got 186 Isp with just 125 psi of chamber pressure. With the very real 300 psi of tank pressure it will mean well above 200 isp at the ground.

2John:

Sounds like it could mean about 260 Isp in vacuum with the same engine and 280 or more with a vacuum (say 1:100) nozzle? Did you do any estimates on that matter?

If you get something like 280 Isp, it makes chances for a double-staged orbital vehicle quite real

Profile ICQ
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:01 pm
anovikov wrote:
...they finally got the LOX engine smoothly running and got 186 Isp with just 125 psi of chamber pressure.

Well, that's not totally correct. The throat was eaten away on those tests, so they weren't completely successful runs. The next chamber will be built so the throat has better cooling.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:18 pm
And what about your estimates of vacuum Isps with ground-shaped (lower stage) and vacuum-shaped (upper stage) nozzles?

Profile ICQ
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:35 am
anovikov wrote:
And what about your estimates of vacuum Isps with ground-shaped (lower stage) and vacuum-shaped (upper stage) nozzles?

You should probably post that question in the Armadillo sticky thread. Your question is beyond my knowledge, and John is much more likely to see and answer your question in the sticky thread.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:46 pm
Matthew Ross wrote:
Well, it looks like my speculation about the delayed update was incorrect. It was not apparently due to new fatherhood, but a very busy week at id Software. There are no photos or video in the latest update, but there it is for you who were worried.

[ot]w00t! Carmack still is interested in game engines and stuff![/ot]

Okay, back on topic...

Will JC be making any posts in the Armadillo Q+A thread anytime soon?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:03 pm
For those who think there's no update this week:
http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home/News?news_id=285
For some reason there's no link on the main page to this new update.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:36 am
Soyuz wrote:
For those who think there's no update this week:
http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home/News?news_id=285
For some reason there's no link on the main page to this new update.

Thanks, I've posted their latest update on the (xprizenews) front page now :)

Last edited by Sigurd on Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW