Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > ShuttleLabs - Part1 :Invention something to laugh at

ShuttleLabs - Part1 :Invention something to laugh at

Posted by: ShuttleLabs - Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:47 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 12 posts ] 
ShuttleLabs - Part1 :Invention something to laugh at 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post ShuttleLabs - Part1 :Invention something to laugh at   Posted on: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:47 pm
John Carmack and his cool gang show their cool photos. O.K... :P Since I don't have team member, industrial, technology, and rocket chemicals. I decide to take different step.

Topical dumb bunny engine!!! Spinning axis could someday levitate. hahah
Lack of Engine and need to work.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:18 pm
Doesn't this board have a rule against trolls?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:26 pm
:? Not really. Whenever John Carmack shows with his cool engine and schematic on web. I would do anything to catch up alone. X-Prize Forum won't bother me until I finish whole part of chapter and stupid invention. However, the gyroscope engine base is not finish. The picture on top is really a levitation gyroscope.

How a gyroscope works:
I have searched through many texts. but I have never found an explanation of why a gyroscope should resist being turned in any direction perpendicular to it's axis. Maybe the workings of a gyroscope seem obvious to some and needs no explanation. But still, other obvious physical phenomena are explained. So here is the first published (that I know of) account of the physics behind how a gyroscope works.

Instead of a complete rim, four point masses, A, B, C, D, represent the areas of the rim that are most important in visualizing how a gyro works. The bottom axis is held stationary but can pivot in all directions.
When a tilting force is applied to the top axis, point A is sent in an upward direction and C goes in a downward direction. FIG 1. Since this gyro is rotating in a clockwise direction, point A will be where point B was when the gyro has rotated 90 degrees. The same goes for point C and D. Point A is still traveling in the upward direction when it is at the 90 degrees position in FIG 2, and point C will be traveling in the downward direction. The combined motion of A and C cause the axis to rotate in the "precession plane" to the right FIG 2. This is called precession. A gyro's axis will move at a right angle to a rotating motion. In this case to the right. If the gyro were rotating counterclockwise, the axis would move in the precession plane to the left. If in the clockwise example the tilting force was a pull instead of a push, the precession would be to the left.
When the gyro has rotated another 90 degrees FIG 3, point C is where point A was when the tilting force was first applied. The downward motion of point C is now countered by the tilting force and the axis does not rotate in the "tilting force" plane. The more the tilting force pushes the axis, the more the rim on the other side pushes the axis back when the rim revolves around 180 degrees.
Actually, the axis will rotate in the tilting force plane in this example. The axis will rotate because some of the energy in the upward and downward motion of A and C is used up in causing the the axis to rotate in the precession plane. Then when points A and C finally make it around to the opposite sides, the tilting force ( being constant) is more than the upward and downward counter acting forces.
The property of precession of a gyroscope is used to keep monorail trains straight up and down as it turns corners. A hydraulic cylinder pushes or pulls, as needed, on one axis of a heavy gyro.
Sometimes precession is unwanted so two counter rotating gyros on the same axis are used.

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:01 am
As a moderator, I do suggest that we all keep posts a bit shorter, make embedded graphics smaller, try to be reasonably succinct and coherent, and generally respect the board's bandwidth and our fellow Forum members.

Thanks to all,

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Monkey Boy   Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:45 am
This sounds like the monkey that Siggy blocked a week or two back.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:44 am
For more information on Gyroscopes, and the attitude that the research commumity has on people who question them, look up Eric Laithwaite on the net. He was the scientist who invented the linear motor, and then went in to gyroscopes, and was publically villified. He started his own company to produce equipment based on his research. Gyron I thinks its called. There are a number of patents on his work also.

Anyway, check out his papers on gyroscopes. Laithwaite was a bit of a genius, and wasnt able to pull this one off. Think about that.....

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Monkey Boy   Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:00 am
tom karns wrote:
This sounds like the monkey that Siggy blocked a week or two back.

No, Franklin was always reasonably succinct in his trolling. Brevity being the soul of that twit.

This guy appears to put in an enormous effort and still comes off as an irritation with too much time on his hands. Until now he had been principally restricting his weirdity to a single thread, which was unusual behavior for a troll. Perhaps he's only just getting into it?

What is nasty is that he only appears to be making an effort, for example this monkey stole the image and information (without giving it any credit) from HERE. The sooner he gets blocked the better.

DKH

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:16 am
JamesHughes wrote:
For more information on Gyroscopes, and the attitude that the research commumity has on people who question them, look up Eric Laithwaite on the net. He was the scientist who invented the linear motor, and then went in to gyroscopes, and was publically villified. He started his own company to produce equipment based on his research. Gyron I thinks its called. There are a number of patents on his work also.

Anyway, check out his papers on gyroscopes. Laithwaite was a bit of a genius, and wasnt able to pull this one off. Think about that.....

I did a bit of reading on rec.physics about this guy ... the consensus there is that he didn't understand that (relatively) simple vector algebra could explain the gyroscope's "mysterious force" that he was propounding. Apparently the Martin Fleischmann of his day. Quite a sad case.

DKH

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:03 pm
You making difficult subject for me type. I got malign by both unknown nemesis. Dr_Keith_H & tom karns. So, welcome to aboard. 8)
I wish I could ignore that subject. It's seems you won't post on John Carmack's forum. John Carmack won't repond both your comments. you step a way ahead of line. The term monkey is refer as racist term for mocking blacks. I won't comment that on this forum. I felt little hurt about that. Not because I'm black or jewish. Aging from Caveman times to Modern times. The genes we survive is civil war, War War 1, World War 2, and war on terrorism. ideology of racism do hurt people.

My biggest dream is to design a most powerful spaceshuttle to help disability go into space. There's this great mystical God or something unknown of bible. Disability in space could die too easy. Nothing is possible "Zero" chance getting them into space. A human don't have a power. Space is the most powerful brutal force. Challenger and columbia almost save our images we loved. Engineers failed because of mocking. In the night of my dream, I see myself the toughest engineer, to past on generations to generations. Disability in space.... I never get to see the whole part of dream and finish the bible. I stopped there and didn't move foward to space engineering design.

NASA never put disability in space. So secert. They kept for years. I want to crack universal ENGIMA space. Space tourism is reality. Virgin Galatic is going to come out 2007. Something I never correctly done from the past. I'm not sure whether to move foward or stop and talk about "Monkey" term.

Anyways, Dr_keith with due respect plagrism. I would credit the "unknown", because there's thousands webpage mention the author's unname name. Whoever belongs to I have no problem credit post on this forum.

If I were you. I wouldn't never use that term. I don't like to see my friend lose a leg on war with iraq.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:44 pm
Your value of company's stock could possibly be worth $249 - $ 655 a share. Because, you dream to put disability in space. It's a risk taking! I like it. In Chicago Stock Exchange, they'll invest huge amount of capital for research space medicine, space technology, etc. Most staging investors willing to invest your idea. They are intersting in core technology. Most likely you huge funding A rounds from venture capital. Don't forget to write a business plan! I would call $ 250 starting share. It's nice you start nothing but little stuff. your project cost $ .2 cents a share. Soo little stuff you have.

This is investor's website.
http://www.spacevest.com
http://www.in-q-tel.com

Everything I like about Shuttlelabs. You start with Research and sooner you can get into seed funding. You almost got into proof of concept. Your company is amost like GOOGLE.COM. I remember using old Google beta Stanford.

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:58 am
Gee, ShuttleLabs and Splinter sound like the same person? Same tortured English, same side excursions in logic. I hope this is not true.

Regardless, I think this thread has reached a good stopping place before it explodes into greater brouhaha. Lockdown time. :shock:

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:19 pm
IP Compare tells me Splinter is not ShuttleLabs.
Thanks, Author, locking it, is the only way to go, (I hope you're also monitoring his other topic, cause I'm not intrested in reading such a boring long topic lol)

ShuttleLabs, you have 1 other topic, if you have other stuff, use that topic ;) and not spam all others.

Profile WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]