Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > upgraded SS1 for the deal with Branson

upgraded SS1 for the deal with Branson

Posted by: 109Ace - Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:14 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
upgraded SS1 for the deal with Branson 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post upgraded SS1 for the deal with Branson   Posted on: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:14 pm
did I read correctly that the 5 Spaceships to be sold to Virgin Galactic will be able to carry 5 people aboard?!??!?!

Thank you

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: upgraded SS1 for the deal with Branson   Posted on: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:42 am
109Ace wrote:
did I read correctly that the 5 Spaceships to be sold to Virgin Galactic will be able to carry 5 people aboard?!??!?!

Yeps

"The British entrepreneur is having five "spaceliners" built. His versions will be alittle bigger the SpaceShipOne and will be able to carry 5 people. Its expected to cost between $100,000-$200,000 for a ride. "

"It will make suborbital flights lasting three hours overall, with about seven minutes of weightlessness. It will fly a little higher than SpaceShipOne in order to make the experience longer and even more impressive."

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:16 am
They are already taking bookings for it at www.realbuzz.co.uk so get in quick if ya want a ride!!!!!!!!!

Iain

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:55 am
Some of the designs Burt said he was 'fooling around with' during the Black Sky documentary look interesting. I'm not sure if the rendering was for the 'stretch' SSO or his SpaceShipTwo orbital craft, but is seemed to have tandem engines (one atop the other).

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:22 pm
The sketches that Rutan showed on the documentary were for his Tier 2 and Tier 3 projects, I dont believe that they had anything to do with the Virgin deal...

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:06 pm
eraurocktchick87 wrote:
The sketches that Rutan showed on the documentary were for his Tier 2 and Tier 3 projects, I dont believe that they had anything to do with the Virgin deal...

actually i'm pretty sure it was ss2 and a possible tier 2 orbital design- burt's said tier three with be for extra-orbital operations (aka, the moon), and i don't think he's started work on that :D , though we can always hope :lol: .

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:42 pm
The design with the seven seats and dual engines was, as far as I gathered from the program, SpaceShipTwo.

There's already been a fairly long discussion of the implications of that particular piece of footage here: http://xprizenews.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:34 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/10 ... index.html

Article in CNN. Based on firmed interest alone, nearly $1 billion worth of orders has been pledged by would be passengers. :)