Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Source of Earth Image used in X-Prize splash page?

Source of Earth Image used in X-Prize splash page?

Posted by: Aero - Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:18 am
 [ 5 posts ] 
Source of Earth Image used in X-Prize splash page? 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Source of Earth Image used in X-Prize splash page?   Posted on: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:18 am
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can obtain the full version of the image used on the splash (aka intro) page of Xprize.com . It seems to be a popular and well-known image, considering it also appears at the Virgin Galactic site and AOL's X-Prize coverage site.

If anyone could shed some light on it's location, It would be most appreciated.

Profile WWW
Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:50 pm
Perhaps someone can speak more authoratively, but it looks like one of the NASA photos. Those, of course, are public domain and DVDs of high resolution NASA photo collections are available widely. I've used them in book cover designs several times. Google for 'stock photos NASA'.

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:35 pm
I've done some searching, and I've yet to find anything. I'm going under the assumption the main effect in the picture is the "Atmospheric Glow".

I also found a one more location that shows the image, but as part of the overall site design. NASA's download section. :?

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:35 am
Sorry about the bump, double post, and inconvience, but I really need to obtain the source of that image. If anyone can help me, I would be most thankful.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:04 am
I found that picture as a wallpaper on the Pocket McDeb site - she offers Pocket PC themes and sometimes matching PC desktop wallpapers. I don't know if she is the creator of the image, and I didn't see any references to who else might have done it. http://www.mcdeb.com/favorites.html - scroll down to the item entitled "Atmosphere".