Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > X2 SS1 Burn Time?

X2 SS1 Burn Time?

Posted by: dolby_uk - Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:59 pm
 [ 14 posts ] 
X2 SS1 Burn Time? 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post X2 SS1 Burn Time?   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:59 pm
Does anyone know if SS1 did the full burn time of 88 seconds on the X2 flight - it didn't feel like it to me.

I know the burn went on for longer than the X1 flight as the height reached was 30,000 or so feet higher, but I was wondering how much more kick the SS1 had, and if they turned it off early, why they did so? (another envelope expansion flight again?)

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:04 pm
dunno if they shut it down early again, but if they did, it was the prudent thing to do. Higher you go, faster you go coming down, subjecting the ship to higher loads and increasing the risk of something breaking off or jamming.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post SpaceShipOne   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:35 pm
Each of the last three SpaceShipOne flights has had the goal of breaking the X-15 altitude record of 67 miles. This last one was the first one where they didn't lose altitude to one condition or another.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:00 pm
No Franklin, I think you are wrong about the intent of Rutan's barnstormers. I was pretty sure the goal had something to do with winning some sort of prize. I note that you managed to once again squeeze in a reference to the X-15, your most favorite thing, many points for achieving a somewhat difficult manouevre there. In any case it doesn't even approach answering dolby_uk's question.

Actually, I don't know the answer either, but I figure if Franklin can burn bandwidth pointlessly then I can too :P . However, I will at least throw in a supposition or two.

If they didn't do the full burn time (hopefully we'll learn about the details soon) then it's probable that the pilot made sure that the burn was long enough to include a reasonable margin for success.

Xprize flight #1 (77 second burn to 337500 feet)
Xprize flight #2 (?? second burn to 368000 feet)

Hey we should do a sweepstakes on this, try to successfully guess the burn time before they announce it ... my bet is ... um ... ah heck ... how about 81 seconds. :?

DKH

Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:14 pm
I remember to have read of 84 seconds burn-time.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:19 pm
Bummer

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:27 pm
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
I remember to have read of 84 seconds burn-time.

Isn't that the maximum burn-time though? Maybe they did the maximum? I'm just interested in how much lea-way they had - the further up you go, the more zero-g, which for paying passengers is more worth the money. Mind you, it also implies greater g-force on you on the way down I believe.

Btw DKH, I would think that breaking the X-15 altitude was in Rutan et al's minds, although not the primary objective obviously :-)

Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:33 pm
The maximum time has been reported to be 89 seconds after the first flight...

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:34 pm
During the after-flight speaches, Burt mentioned that they had hoped to surpass the X15 altitude record, and whas pleased that they had done so. /jd

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:39 pm
[quote="Ekkehard Augustin"]The maximum time has been reported to be 89 seconds after the first flight...[quote]

Oh well, close anyway :-)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:57 pm
dolby_uk wrote:
Btw DKH, I would think that breaking the X-15 altitude was in Rutan et al's minds, although not the primary objective obviously :-)

Yeah and I did read that Rutan made some sort allusion to it, but the way our X-15 fanboi Franklin says it it's like it WAS the primary objective.

I note that dolby_uk says that the max burn time was 88 seconds. Ekkhard says 84 or 89. Anybody got a link to the truth? It's got to be out there.

DKH.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:16 pm
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Anybody got a link to the truth? It's got to be out there

Is that why they call it the X-Prize ;-)

Can't find any specific information on the Scaled site or elsewhere, but I may not be looking hard enough. Or maybe it's a conspiracy...

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:18 pm
Ah, I didn't look closely enough.

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/040929_spaceshipone_x-prize_flight_1.html

Quote:
September 29, 2004: At 8:13 this morning PDT, SpaceShipOne (SS1) coasted above the 100 km altitude point and successfully completed the first of two X-Prize flights. The peak altitude reached was 337,500 ft. The motor was shut down when the pilot, Mike Melvill, noted that his altitude predictor exceeded the required 100 km mark. The motor burn lasted 77 seconds – 1 second longer than on the June 21st flight. Melvill was prepared to burn the motor up to 89 seconds, which indicates significant additional performance remains in SS1.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:21 am
Using the extremely scientific method of watching time tick off on my video of X2 :D , burn time was 85 +/- 1 seconds. I've been to all three space flights and this is the first time I got the entire burn on tape - it was SO cool!