Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Time travel one of the last fontiers

Time travel one of the last fontiers

Posted by: eleventhdr - Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:41 am
 [ 28 posts ] 
Time travel one of the last fontiers 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Time travel one of the last fontiers   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:41 am
i think we need a prize for this as well those of us who are serious about this feel left ourt without being able to get support for this as well. Come on who is with me on this one please!. Thank's

Profile YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:08 am
Hehe that would be an interesting prize indeed. The only form of time travel I know of would require traveling at a relatively large fraction of c (the speed of light) because time slows for motion according to general relativity and some pretty easily comprehendable math... I can go into the detailed mathematical proofs if anyone would like to look at them, I've worked it out in my spare time, so just let me know.

However if one was somehow able to travel at a great portion of the speed of light and thus able to travel forward in time, the problem then is HOW TO GET BACK.....

And assuming that this person was also able to get back, how do we know that they went forward in time and came back at all? Ever see the movie "Contact"? What proof would we have that this person would qualify for the prize?

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Last edited by rocktchick87 on Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile YIM WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:11 am
By the way, welcome to the forum! Let me know if you have any questions about anything and I'll be glad to help out :)

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:53 am
As Douglas Adams would have said, our timeline is the only thing we haven't managed to pollute yet. Let's keep time linear. I have no desire to meet my grandfather when he was 20 :wink:

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:09 am
LOL that would be something else wouldnt it.... Imagine going back to a time with no internet... now that would be extremely scary... I've only had it for 4 years, but I have no idea how i lived without it :P So pathetic hehe

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:56 am
All of you young whipper snappers. When I was your age, we had to crank the handle on the side of our Apple ][+ that only did all caps. We considered ourselves lucky that we could dial up the Internet (instead of Bitnet or even *gasp* a BBS on Fidonet) with our 300 baud acoustic-coupler modem. And let me tell you, being told to stop yelling gets real old after the third "friendly reminder". None of those fancy graphics things, either. The best there was is 16 color ANSI text-art, which didn't work because we didn't have an IBM.

We didn't have any of those newfangled firstperson shooters. We had text adventure games, with no graphics, where the game would tell you that you were in a room with a flask. And then we'd type in "Get ye flask" and the computer would reply "You cannot get ye flask", with no explanation for why. And sometimes, we could even play Pong, or maybe the origional Castle Wolfenstein (non-3D).

But my parents... whoa. They had to walk to school butt naked in the snow, uphill both ways. And they didn't even have a flushable toilet.

Umm.. Anyways... ;)

I tend to not think that messing with time is something we really should be worying about right now. Unless, of course, we're changing history to make it so that I've already taken over the world now, as opposed to coming to power 20 years in the future. :twisted:

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:35 am
wirehead wrote:
You cannot get ye flask

> SCORE

You have scored 0 points

:lol:

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Hi there again!.   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:50 am
So gald to see you all come on board. But I am one of the one's working on time travel a lot of my own time is spent on just this and it sure would be great to get some help in a lot of ways on just this.. I have some answereres but not all of it yet it is out there like fox would say mulder that is. I have other answereres as well on other stuff which might be amusing to some but a lot of us know how it was just 30 yeras ago without a lot of the very stuff you take for granted right now we liveed without because the technology was not there yet so traveling back wpuld have osme advantages and others you would live without because they were not there then but there was other stuff to compensate . So yeah I do want to go back that is where I really do want to go to really see how it really was and prove that it was so and that it is still there just because you cannot see it does not mean it does not still exsits/ More Later!.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:46 am
wirehead wrote:

But my parents... whoa. They had to walk to school butt naked in the snow, uphill both ways. And they didn't even have a flushable toilet.

You were lucky to have a school. In my day, we had to teach ourselves from writing on t'cave wall, by the age of 3 and that was that. ;-)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:14 am
Huh! Cave wall? Luxury!

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post Yes!?.   Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:48 am
Oh yeah Alright!.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:05 am
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Huh! Cave wall? Luxury!

:lol: You gotta love the Pythons.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:41 pm
eraurocktchick87 wrote:
I can go into the detailed mathematical proofs if anyone would like to look at them, I've worked it out in my spare time, so just let me know.

You mean when you travel at 0.9c to let's say Alpha Centauri (est. 5 years), then go back at the same speed. You're 10 years older, but on Earth more than 10 years passed. Is this you are talking about?

Oh well, I'd like to take a look at your math anyway. Send it through. My e-mail is spam@klub.com.pl.

Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Huh! Cave wall? Luxury!

What can I say? My hovercraft is full of eels. :)

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:43 pm
A forward-only time machine would do me just fine.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:17 pm
Furious Broccoli wrote:
A forward-only time machine would do me just fine.

But what if the future majorly sucked? And you could never get back to the time before J-Lo made "Gigli" (a movie which has profoundly reduced my respect for this fine ... ah ... actress). And you could NEVER EVER mess with causality ... which is what every halfway decent time-traveller intends ... even if it's just so you could go back and try to fix that first date with Mary-Jane that went so horribly wrong.

"Mary, Jane ... now there's two of me ... enough for the both of you."

Jane: "I want the one with no pimples."
Mary: "You got it, at least pizza-face doesn't have wrinkles on his wrinkles."

DKH