Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Clearly there's a low interest in space, why?

Clearly there's a low interest in space, why?

Posted by: Sean Girling - Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:45 pm
 [ 35 posts ] 
Clearly there's a low interest in space, why? 
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:28 am
I repeatedly retrun to a possibility I proposed somewhere else concerning education in astronomical knowledge.

Interest in astronomy could be caused or created by Star Trek - at least the orginal series several times is taking place at regions of space all people can see looking to the skies. Beta Geminorum for example where Captain Kirk and his crew met the greek god Apollon in hiis temple who stopped the Enterprise by his huge electromagnetcal hand in space.

This way the interest in space travels etc. and even privte space travels may be increased. For example there are several books considering the techniques, technologies, environments, languages, "races" and philosophies around the Enterprise and its huge crew. I myself have at least two such books - one a christmas gift from my seven years younger sister.

Such a book could be written based on this message board too and there is a special thread asking why the XPRIZE doesn't refer to Star Trek.

The successful ways start directly at the everywhere to observe interets of the people. One of this great interests even is Atar Trek and its fascination. For Example - say to the people "Here is the way to get to the Star Trek world" and then talk of the possibilities and successes subject to the XPRIZE etc., talk of SSO, Wild Fire and much more, figure out the possible further developments of the privte spacecrafts, the space travels and provide timetables. And why not include the contents of this message board?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:15 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3710906.stm

read that, it shows that lack of interest in Science is going down a lot.
Something needs to be done

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:13 pm
Simple. Science is hard to understand, its hard to do and what students dont want do to is hard working. And the very small percentage that can do science easily like adding numbers, just a few of them even care or are interested in space.

I've dreamed about space all my life (for those who are here, who hasn't?) and i never thought it was a possibilty to work on something which had any connection with something in space or even going into space. Why? Because information was soo poorly distributed and 'dreams' were practicly met with laughter so you took the clearest shot at a job. Just a handfull were doing a technical (math, physics and chemistry in 'high school') course/graduation, and practicly all went to some sort of computer 'science' education.

Why? Because it was logical, life is becoming more hard for this generation, everything is growing more expensive, affordable living places are practicly non-existent and for students its practicly unpayable without having parents who pay a lot and a part-time job as well. So you choose a college nearby more easily then 250 km away (like i have). But i always had interests in space and science. So why didnt i study further and do what i'm going to do now?
Like i said, in my case, and i believe which is happening on 99% of the schools, is that the information for your study is not given to you and not explained to you, and at age of 15 most of us aren't very eager to find everything out theirselves.

So, what can you do to improve peoples interest in space? First, more coverage! In my country, nobody (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) i know around here knew about X-prize, let alone that SS1 first attempt was succesfull. Not because people are not interested, but simply because they didnt know. So, let more people know about more various of things, and if people then choose to pursue it further, they can invest their energy and time into it.

Secondly, add a science/space class into schools very early on like they start very early here with teaching english to us on lower schools. Teach them about solar system and why it is important to go into space, etc. etc.

Thirdly (at least, in my country), make it for students easier to move to a place which has a university. (the only university teaching aerospace engeneering is 250 km away.....) And, not less important, make it possible for everyone to study. I know a lot of people who simply cant afford to study simply because their parents didnt want to pay (or couldnt) but certainly have the potential to graduate.

Last but not least. Look through telescopes! Damn, simply breathtaking imo. Simply looking at the sky is breathtaking imo. If you go regularly with a class to an observatory and watch the sky, i'm sure that general interest in space will grow.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:58 pm
For me interest in Science and Space didnt happen untill last year when i was 18, i finished up High school 2 years ago ( im from UK ) .

So anyway it happend when found some articles online from certain websites i had come across, newscientist.com , space.com and kurzweilai.net . I began to a have a crave for knowledge because i found something that interested me, I then bought BOOKS, about 5 of them.

I mean i bought books on Nanotechnology, Space, Quantum mechanics, Robotics, genetic engineering.... and i read them all. Ive never managed or thought i would read whole books in my life. most or all of the subjects i mentioned there never really came up in class at all. most of my friends dont know what most of them technologies are and what they can do for us in the future. I mean i cant even have a good conversation with friends and family about science and stuff either. Because they cant take the conversation forward because they dont understand or have extremely lack of knowledge of what i am talking about.

See the problem is, The books that they provided in high school just didnt interest me. There wasnt enough options earlier on.

Anyway im 20 in 3weeks time and I feel i made the wrong choices in which i subjects i wanted to study because of lack of information and i wish i could go back to high school to improve and choose science subjects.

ive been through business Studies in College, now im in a Networking level 3 course... but honestly, im regreting it now, But i'll complete these Courses, get a part time job as a computer tech or something and go to college or uni to get the neccessery Qualificatinos to get into Space agencys or projects, im sure there is a lot going on.

But i want an exciting job, There are too many people wasting there lives just being sales people and watever. Sure it supports your family. But by no means is it interesting or exciting.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:53 am
whoa182 wrote:

See the problem is, The books that they provided in high school just didnt interest me. There wasnt enough options earlier on.

Same here ;)

whoa182 wrote:
Anyway im 20 in 3weeks time and I feel i made the wrong choices in which i subjects i wanted to study because of lack of information and i wish i could go back to high school to improve and choose science subjects.

You can. Im two months away from being 22 (life goes fast) and i have a lousy job and went back to high school to get a higher degree in physics and math to get onto an university. Luckily for me, this kind of school where you can take just one or 2 classes in just 1 year, instead of 2 to 3 years normally, is at bike distance otherwise i couldnt do it.

I never heard of a school where you can do that, so i start looking and i found one. So start looking, i'm sure they exist.

whoa182 wrote:
ive been through business Studies in College, now im in a Networking level 3 course... but honestly, im regreting it now, But i'll complete these Courses, get a part time job as a computer tech or something and go to college or uni to get the neccessery Qualificatinos to get into Space agencys or projects, im sure there is a lot going on.

I've done some computer programming study and i frankly knew at the end of the study that i cannot do the job for 40+years, that would practicly drive me insane. I looked for jobs anyway for 6 months, until i really got realisticly interested in space. So i looked for an university, wrote them a hundred emails and phoned them like stalkers and asked what was needed. Unfortunately i wasn't allowed directly, even if our regulations say i should be allowed. So i'm taking extra courses to get onto that university. ANd with support from my parents (financially), i can go onto the university when i succesfully finish these courses.

I wish you all the best with searching for a suitable study, i know from personal experience that the computer/software industry doesnt need lots of people to run.