Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > Burt Rutan

Burt Rutan

Posted by: spaceboy - Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:50 pm
 [ 108 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Burt Rutan 
Post    Posted on: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:02 pm
For Scaled Composites' Space Ship One program, it is rumored that Paul Allen or Dennis Tito or both are providing the funding. Both gentlemen are committed to private space tourism.

It would be out of character for them to fund anything that is a dead-end. My speculation is that if Space Composites wins the XPRIZE, something will following very quickly to make regular space tourism flights a reality. 8)

Post I agree   Posted on: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:19 pm
Why would they just put the SS1 on the shelf? Although I believe they have stated that the SS1 itself will not be used for space tourism, certainly a follow on craft could be built using the same technology to offer two suborbital seats on routine (weekly?) flights?

The business case for suborbital flight is a little dicy though. Say they charged $10k a seat and had two seats available (and filled with paying customers) 50 times a year. That's only a million in revenue, probably not enough to make it feasible. But add on some satellite payloads propelled into orbit by a small booster, and it might make for a profitable enterprise.

Post SS1, last test   Posted on: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:49 pm
Bad info from the Mojave site (nice site though). Looks like the 4 Dec. test didn't actually ignite the engine. Maybe next one will:

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/ ... t_data.htm

Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:16 am
Heard that too; however, Scaled hasn't posted anything regarding the Dec 4th flight yet...

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: I agree   Posted on: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:32 am
Spacebull wrote:
Why would they just put the SS1 on the shelf? Although I believe they have stated that the SS1 itself will not be used for space tourism, certainly a follow on craft could be built using the same technology to offer two suborbital seats on routine (weekly?) flights?

The business case for suborbital flight is a little dicy though. Say they charged $10k a seat and had two seats available (and filled with paying customers) 50 times a year. That's only a million in revenue, probably not enough to make it feasible. But add on some satellite payloads propelled into orbit by a small booster, and it might make for a profitable enterprise.

If I recall correctly, Rutan doesn't want to use the SS1 for carrying passengers because he doesn't want to go through the government red tape to certify the vehicle as safe for manned commercial operation. Using it as a small satellite launch platform seems like it might be a good idea. It could probably compete with something like the Pegasus launcher.

Post    Posted on: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:19 pm
If Burt Rutan does not pursue commercial flights because of bureaucratic regulators, this will be another case of the US government killing private initiative.

Burt knows more about real safety than the combined engineering staff of the FAA!

Post SS1 Engine test   Posted on: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:37 am
Did you notice the full engine test on 11/19?

Kinda makes you feel sorry for these...Pretenders...who are raising $$$ while toting around plywood ships. I think Mr Rutan is ready to light the candle and perhapls one or two others may actualy get something built that will fly. All this and a trip back to the moon.... WOW this is going to be a great decade for space flight.

Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:56 pm
SpaceDev Tests Rocket Motor for Powered Spaceshipone Flight
Thursday December 11, 8:30 am ET

POWAY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 11, 2003--SpaceDev (OTCBB: SPDV - News) has successfully tested a hybrid rocket motor designed for the first powered flight of SpaceShipOne, built by Scaled Composites.
SpaceDev successfully test fired a motor with its proprietary propellant equal to about one-half the total capacity of the motor. The purpose of the test was to qualify the exact configuration of the motor to be used for SpaceShipOne's first powered test flight.

SpaceDev also performed a full flow oxidizer test through its proprietary main valve, during a recent glide test of SpaceShipOne, in further preparation of the first powered flight. The test was successful.

"This project gets more exciting every day," said SpaceDev founder and chief executive Jim Benson. "SpaceDev and Scaled engineers are working well together on a very tight schedule, and you can feel the excitement and tension as this historic project continues to charge forward."

About SpaceDev

SpaceDev (OTCBB: SPDV - News) creates and sells affordable and innovative space products and solutions to government and commercial enterprises. For more information, visit www.spacedev.com.

Post    Posted on: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:50 pm
Thank you for the update. Check out SpaceDev stock. It appears to be at a relatively low price. http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SPDV.OB&d=t

At $1.08 per share as of 10:18 am EST, 100 shares of SpaceDev makes an interesting Christmas gift to your favorite space fan. :wink:

Post Spacedev   Posted on: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:16 pm
I agree it would be a wonderful gift and who knows how high it might shoot (pun intended) when the SS1 successfully goes suborbital.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Spacedev   Posted on: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:57 pm
Bullspace wrote:
I agree it would be a wonderful gift and who knows how high it might shoot (pun intended) when the SS1 successfully goes suborbital.

hmmm..... i wonder if i should try and get some....

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Go Rutan!   Posted on: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:26 pm
My personal prediction is that Rutan will conduct a powered flight test on December 17th, but the engine will only ignite for 15 seconds or so, and it won't go all the way to space. My rationale:

1. Rutan will be staying in Mojave on Dec 17. According to the NY Times, he "will not be going to Kitty Hawk to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Wright brothers' first flight. It's not that he has little regard for aviation pioneers, he says. It's just that he is too busy trying to be like them himself. In hangars here in the desert, Mr. Rutan and his 130-member crew are rushing to finish two aircraft that could make their own aviation history [GlobalFlyer and SpaceShipOne].
2. The recent SpaceDev engine test proved the "exact configuration of the motor to be used for SpaceShipOne's first powered test flight." However, the engine was only half full with propellant.
3. Rutan is a risk-taking man, but he's not reckless enough to try a full-up test on the full flight.
4. Plus, if he really were going for space, you'd think news would have leaked out by now (X Prize officials, perhaps?).

Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:11 am
They only need to notify X-prize officials for an X-prize attempt. That's two flights in two weeks. Scaled does not need to notify X-prize officals for an un-official test flight. I concur that I expect a flight on the 17th. A half-full flight sounds reasonable.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:48 am
Irving wrote:
They only need to notify X-prize officials for an X-prize attempt. That's two flights in two weeks. Scaled does not need to notify X-prize officals for an un-official test flight. I concur that I expect a flight on the 17th. A half-full flight sounds reasonable.

half-full... ehh... maybe, depends on how confident they are of SS1's performance. i'm sure the engine can take it, but i think a 1/5 full horizontal flight is more likely.

Post SpaceShipOne   Posted on: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:25 am
Speculation over. First rocked powered flight for SpaceShipOne.

:D :P :lol:

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/ ... 121703.htm

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next