Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > commercial space flight -Emotional folly or rational risk ?

commercial space flight -Emotional folly or rational risk ?

Posted by: Indigosurfer - Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:51 pm
 [ 14 posts ] 
commercial space flight -Emotional folly or rational risk ? 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post commercial space flight -Emotional folly or rational risk ?   Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:51 pm
Space seems to get even the most educated and rational people rather emotional to the point where they ignore the motivation and consequences for their follies. No where have I seen any mention of enviromental impact of commercial space flight on this site or any other real contrary opinions to any other negative impacts of such grand a venture.Of course I would love to play space man and go for a ride but I prefer to see projects that have more realistic and immediate benefits to mankind but alsas , I prefer substance rather than space castles in the air !

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: commercial space flight -Emotional folly or rational ris   Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:58 pm
Indigosurfer wrote:
Space seems to get even the most educated and rational people rather emotional to the point where they ignore the motivation and consequences for their follies. No where have I seen any mention of enviromental impact of commercial space flight on this site or any other real contrary opinions to any other negative impacts of such grand a venture.Of course I would love to play space man and go for a ride but I prefer to see projects that have more realistic and immediate benefits to mankind but alsas , I prefer substance rather than space castles in the air !

Okay, Obi Wan, why don't you list these "projects that have more realistic and immediate benefits to mankind"?

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:00 pm
Space Travel WILL be 1 of the BIGGEST benifits to Mankind.

Without space travel advances. We may aswell say. bye bye humans

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:08 pm
Ok greenmonster maybe you can't think of one but I can so we have this little problem of radioactive waste in the U.S., sure its not glamorous as pretending to be buck rogers but i would like to see a solution to this small problem unless we can put it in your backyard.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:54 pm
people who claim that spending money on space is wasteful and does not affect us, in the here and now do not realize the full benefit of space, such as medical scans, and imaging, some medicines, research into radiation therapy, improved transportation, satalite imagery, etc, etc, etc. the list is boundless, of all the expenses the goverements have spent for any organization, the return form the space research has benifited man and this planet the most. and now that private individuals want to invest in this, it seems some people are objecting and say the money is ill spent. do some research before you start criticizing

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:05 pm
I have done research and I think if you did research also there are many scientists have asked the same questions I have and many have spoken out, and in response to your generalizations about medical scans etc you exaggerate while turning a blind eye to the issue of how much is spent on space exploration while not even considering if money could be spent more productivly than on experiments that look like they were concieved at a high school science fair than from NASA but what the hey as long as I can get one of those suites at one of those future space hotels . . .

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:28 pm
commercial means not goverment, the xprize is not NASA or any other goverment agency, but from private meaning citizens voluntering to pay for this, now as to spending, medical monitors used in hospitals and ERs all over the world can be traced directly back to the space race, satalites used for mapping and tracking everything from calls, to weather, to great white sharks to finding lost cities are in space, which requires launches etc. Solar enenrgy a fuel of hte future, can only woork on a large scale form orbiting solar collectors, from purely symetrical crystals generated in the weightlessness of space promise has been shown in medicine and in material science, what is needed is funding to space sciences to do the research, NASA has dropped the ball a few times in becoming a delivery provider, there is great hope and promise for the future if this fledging commercial and private space transportation takes off, a lot of those with PHDs only look at things in their field, and have a narrow view on things, the old saying stands that a phd knows great deal about very little,
your words seem to echo the doubters ofthe early 1900s "That crazy flying machine won't go anywhere, and is pointless we have to worry about the scourages of our cities"
embrace the future, and with time commercial space transporation will benifit all even if it means hauling nucular waste and depositing it in some distant place in space

Profile YIM
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:45 am
Hello, Indigosurfer,

please read the section "Public Perception of Space Travel", the section concerning the financial side of space activities, the regulation-section and the section "The Spaceflight Cafe".

Yow will find posts considering the environmental aspects of space travels and spacecrafts.

Because of this I'm now and in this post only mentioning that one environmental effect of spacecrafts in comparison to aircrafts is that their emissions into the atmosphere are lasting less than two minutes only in contrary to the hours of the emissions of aeroplanes.

And - why dont you post the wanted new topics yourself in the sections I recommended to you?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:57 pm
The nice thing about private efforts vs. government efforts is that I can spend my money however I choose. I could use it for nuclear waste activism, but I choose to use it for space efforts. :twisted:

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:27 pm
The big highlights are:
1) It's going to be a long time before we need to wory at *all* about polution from spaceflight
2) By the time we do need to work, it'll be semi-solved because we'll probably be using fuels that don't generally spew lots of atmospheric polutants.
3) The best way to save the environment is to reduce Man's encrochement upon it. We can't ship the population off-planet, but we can ship the next best thing to colonies -- those people who want to have more children than a flat-to-minorly-negative population growth curve would permit. We can even do it without Eugenics or other really strict laws by tweaking the economics of it all.
4) All of the other problems are always going to be with us for eternity, no matter how much we pay for them. So it's not worth cutting funding, but it's not worth making it a world-wide priority and spending it on nothing else.
5) Art is not required for survival, but we spend money on art, do we not?
6) Folks who complain about space not being a priority will look really stupid the next time a Dinasaur-Killer is spotted heading right for us.
7) Most of the environmentalists are on crack anyways. We'd have a lot fewer problems if we'd switch to 2-3 different types of fission nuclear power and a little bit of coal and natural gas power here and there for "peak" usage. Nuclear waste's not a problem if we'd use the research of the past 40 years instead of locking it up in salt mines.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:57 am
Indogosurfer. Are you sure that is your opinion ? Wouldn't 'we' be living in the dark ages if it wasn't for people who tried exploring the unknown (if I may) Believe me if I say humans are always on the lookout for something new and the only reason is because they MIGHT benefit from doing so.

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:44 pm
The Air Force estimates the real estate value of orbital space at around 100 Billion dollars, mostly from telecommunicatons satellites. Cheaper to-space costs would help develop this and provide a real benefit to economies around the world from the influx of cash. However, if you want a more humanitarion or ecological benefit from going to space, consider the idea of moving heavy industry into either orbit somewhere, or perhaps on the moon. This would provide real benefits for many areas of industry, both from the availability of certain resources and from the low gravity or vacuum environment, and the benefits of having polution nowhere near anything alive would positively increase the way we live here on Earth

Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:42 am
Hello, Rapierian,

what about working out details in this thread and then looking what of it may be worth a WTN XPRIZE?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:10 pm
Not a bad idea....although a lot of the net value of orbital space is going to be in things that are too diversified to really give a solid chunk of money. Still, there's enough oppurtunity for space that we should be able to come up with at least a couple industries that would be willing to offer incentives.