SpaceDev is going rocket car racing 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post SpaceDev is going rocket car racing   Posted on: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:31 pm
www.aussieinvader.com

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:49 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: , that's priceless. i'm suprised franklin, good job.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:04 pm
I know its probably a trade secret, but i just can't see how they manage to find wheel-bearings that can survive that kind of speed.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:13 pm
bad_astra wrote:
I know its probably a trade secret, but i just can't see how they manage to find wheel-bearings that can survive that kind of speed.

It's not that big a deal. The 20,000+ lb 763 mph four-wheel supersonic Thrust SSC jet car used roller bearings lubricated with grease.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:44 pm
The main problem isnt the bearings, its the wheels themselves that are rotating so fast they disintergrate through very high centripetal forces. That why they are solid aluminium.

Thrust SCC also had problems with the shock wave from the front of the car as it hit supersonic, crushing and powdering the ground in front, meaning the wheels were driving through this powder and preventing the car form going any faster because of the extra drag. Difficult to see how the Aussie will get round that problem - perhaps with different aerodynamics (its not a horsepower problem)

James

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:55 pm
hmm

munt a big ass tesla coil on the front of it, generate a plasma field to eleminate atmospheric shockwave..once the vehicle reaches 1200kph, the flux capacitor will begin functioning, sending the car back to 1956

sorry I am being silly.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Aussie Invader   Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:26 pm
JamesHughes wrote:
The main problem isnt the bearings, its the wheels themselves that are rotating so fast they disintergrate through very high centripetal forces. That why they are solid aluminium.

Thrust SCC also had problems with the shock wave from the front of the car as it hit supersonic, crushing and powdering the ground in front, meaning the wheels were driving through this powder and preventing the car form going any faster because of the extra drag. Difficult to see how the Aussie will get round that problem - perhaps with different aerodynamics (its not a horsepower problem)

James

Thrust SSS was 12 feet wide and weighed over 20,000 lbs.

Aussie Invader 5R will be under 8 feet wide and under 8,000 lbs in weight, perhaps weighing as little as 5,000 lbs fully loaded.

Peak acceleration on Thrust SSC was under 2g while on Aussie Invader 5R it may be as high as 3g.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:39 pm
Franklin, rather than spewing forth random facts why cant you just answer James' question? If you think weight has anything to do with it then tell us how much does a shockwave weigh?

What the hell is this thread doing in the "X prize in general" thread anyway?

DKH

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:53 pm
SpaceDev has something to do with this land speed attempt (I couldn't tell if they were providing the motor, but it's a safe assumption). SpaceDev powers SpaceShipOne. SpaceDev may build their own RLV (dreamship?). SpaceDev is building Streaker. SpaceDev bought AMROC which practically invented modern hybrids. SpaceDev could, theoretically, be in the X-Cup. Anything they do regarding rockets, is relevant to X-Prize, IMHO.

Profile YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:11 pm
So you wouldn't mind if people blathered on here in "X prize in General" about ... oh heck I don't know, any number of other (non-x-prize) projects that Scaled are involved in .... just because one of their projects is x-prize related?

How about a long and boring exposition on what went wrong during the design phase of Scaled's Pond Racer right here in X prize in General ... nothing to do with the X prize but who cares right?

Mebbe we should nip this sort of thing in the bud instead.

DKH

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Thrust SSV vs Aussie Invader 5R   Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Dr_Keith_H wrote:
Franklin, rather than spewing forth random facts why cant you just answer James' question? If you think weight has anything to do with it then tell us how much does a shockwave weigh?

DKH

I answered the question. You just didn't get it. The smaller crossection of Aussie Invader 5R means lower wave drag at supersonic speed. The lighter weight of Aussie Invader 5R means lower rolling resistance. The higher acceleration of Aussie Invader 5R means its peak speed will be less affected by rolling resistance in the first place.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:33 pm
Quote:
So you wouldn't mind if people blathered on here in "X prize in General" about ... oh heck I don't know, any number of other (non-x-prize) projects that Scaled are involved in .... just because one of their projects is x-prize related?

How about a long and boring exposition on what went wrong during the design phase of Scaled's Pond Racer right here in X prize in General ... nothing to do with the X prize but who cares right?

I understand, this. I am just saying that Scaled's rocket developments might have some bearing on this. For all I know, it's the same engine.

Franklin Ratliff has nothing to talk about, except for rocket car racing. He was that way on the CATS Prize BBS, he's been that way on racing forums, and he's been that way though his various permutations, here. The first time I saw him post I got scared and said to myself, "Oh well, there goes the neighborhood." He's not likely to change his view anytime soon, even now that X-Prize is nearly one, without the aid of rocket cars. When you or I are up in L5 on holiday, looking down at Earth, Franlin will still be down there somewhere, complaining to no one in particular (because no one really listens past his first diatribe) that people should be spending more time working on rocket cars.

I just thought this was a rare case where he wasn't entirely off topic, in the same way I don't think XCOR or Blue Origin are off topic, even though they are not in the X-Prize race at this time.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Cup   Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:43 pm
bad_astra wrote:
Quote:

I understand, this. I am just saying that Scaled's rocket developments might have some bearing on this. For all I know, it's the same engine.

Franklin Ratliff has nothing to talk about, except for rocket car racing. He was that way on the CATS Prize BBS, he's been that way on racing forums, and he's been that way though his various permutations, here. The first time I saw him post I got scared and said to myself, "Oh well, there goes the neighborhood." He's not likely to change his view anytime soon, even now that X-Prize is nearly one, without the aid of rocket cars. When you or I are up in L5 on holiday, looking down at Earth, Franlin will still be down there somewhere, complaining to no one in particular (because no one really listens past his first diatribe) that people should be spending more time working on rocket cars.

I just thought this was a rare case where he wasn't entirely off topic, in the same way I don't think XCOR or Blue Origin are off topic, even though they are not in the X-Prize race at this time.

Still don't see all those teams showing up for X-Cup.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:04 pm
The X-Cup doesn't begin till 2006. If it gets funding, the Bigelow Prize will probably be a big deal too, a few years after that.

Profile YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Thrust SSV vs Aussie Invader 5R   Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:53 am
greenmonster wrote:
Dr_Keith_H wrote:

DKH

I answered the question. You just didn't get it. The smaller crossection of Aussie Invader 5R means lower wave drag at supersonic speed. The lighter weight of Aussie Invader 5R means lower rolling resistance. The higher acceleration of Aussie Invader 5R means its peak speed will be less affected by rolling resistance in the first place.

:roll: Well why in heck didn't you say that in the first place? I think what has happened here is that you didn't properly understand James' question first time, spewed forth in some sort of automated reaction because someone gave you the attention you craved, and only now parsed it correctly after I complained at you. Your initial reply to James' post mentioned zip about the wave drag and profiles, and now you tell us that is what you meant?

You are quite strange Franklin, something deserving of careful study. From a distance.

DKH