Community > Forum > Virgin Galactic Forum > Virgin procurement deal with Mojave Aerospace

Virgin procurement deal with Mojave Aerospace

Posted by: luke.r - Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:52 am
 [ 16 posts ] 
Virgin procurement deal with Mojave Aerospace 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Virgin procurement deal with Mojave Aerospace   Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:52 am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3693020.stm

Sir Richard wants to buy 5 of the uprated SS1 class vehicles. It looks as if the commercial market everybody hoped for is going to happen a hell of a lot quicker than we hoped!
However, I can't let him get away with it that easily can I?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/3692886.stm

Have that for not investing in a British firm! :evil:

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:58 am
It should be those stretched SS1 designs that Burt had shown previously.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:36 pm
Well... I believe him !

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:47 pm
I hope they are more reliable than virgin trains!

well done mr B

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post The week that was...   Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:52 pm
Wait and see. You'll find he'll offer it as a frequent flier award on VS. :D

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:54 pm
for more news related to virgin, go to: http://www.xprizenews.org/index.php

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:31 am
$200,000 for a seat though! Altough if I had jst won lotto why the hell not! and if i had a spare 1.2mill might as well shout the family a ride!
It should be good,peoples dreams can now become a reality.

Iain

Profile WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:50 pm
I think the price is a good starting point. That way, the rich folk who want to take themselves in to space help to fund the next gen of spacecraft for the rest of us...^_- By the time it's cheap enough for us to ride on, it will also be quite safe.

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:54 pm
I hope Vergin will not be the only company who will invest in space tourism ...

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:22 pm
Kerstens wrote:
I hope Vergin will not be the only company who will invest in space tourism ...

There is Blue Origin, which is run by Amazon.com's Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk of SpaceX wants to get into manned spaceflight eventually, as does SpaceDev. So there are some very well-funded millionaires and billionaires that will likely compete with Branson

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:47 pm
200k a ticket frankly sucks. That should be lower by a factor of four. That isn't CATS. That's about $1000/lb of payload or so for a suborbital. $1000/lb for orbital? Now we're talking. But not this. I don't care what perks they are throwing in. The idea was cheaper access to space to develop space industry and eventually make it far easier to go there. I don't think Virgin is moving in that direction at all, and at the rate it's taking, it will just be another Concorde: a prestige winner that doesn't expand any boundaries.

I now actively hope that one of the other, cheaper vehicles (Armadillo, Rubicon, Xerus), beats the pants off of Virgin when it comes time for a competetive business.

Profile YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:31 pm
bad_astra wrote:
200k a ticket frankly sucks. That should be lower by a factor of four. That isn't CATS. That's about $1000/lb of payload or so for a suborbital. $1000/lb for orbital? Now we're talking. But not this. I don't care what perks they are throwing in. The idea was cheaper access to space to develop space industry and eventually make it far easier to go there. I don't think Virgin is moving in that direction at all, and at the rate it's taking, it will just be another Concorde: a prestige winner that doesn't expand any boundaries.

I now actively hope that one of the other, cheaper vehicles (Armadillo, Rubicon, Xerus), beats the pants off of Virgin when it comes time for a competetive business.

The 200k ticket is only in the beginning, branson also said that they will reinvest all the money to lower the ticket price even more.

"We will re-invest the funds raised over the first few years of flight back into the business, striving constantly to lower prices. "
http://www.xprizenews.org/index.php?p=521

£115,000 ($190,000) is a lot, but I think it's a normal number if you look at the investment they have to do:
"It is expected that around £60 million ($100 million) will be invested in developing the new generation of spaceships and ground infrastructure required to operate a sub orbital space tourism experience."
Also employees, taxes, etc have to be paid just to keep the business running.

Branson and Allen have a lot of money.. but their pocket can not keep funding a project that's constantly losing millions a year...
So if you want to fly in space as one of the first.. you'll have to pay also for the development of new vehicles and research...
On this way, the real rich people, who can't wait to go in space, will help to create new space ships that will bring people like you and me into space for a lot lower price.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:18 pm
I am glad that are charging so much, the more money they make early on the more money they will have to invest so we can actually get into space, instead of just floating around for a few minutes than dropping back down.

Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:10 am
Pleas remember the following part of one of the articles concerning Branson's deal: "The licensing deal with M.A.V. could be worth up to £14 million ($21.5 million) over the next fifteen years depending on the number of spaceships built by Virgin."

First this means that Branson has to amortize his license(s)/deal. That justifies the high price at the beginning.

Second this means very fast amortization of SSO for Burtan Rutan and Paul Allen.

But third the deal will tend to cause the reduction of production costs thus creating the basis for the reduction of Branson's ticket prices.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Problems with Virgin Galactic?   Posted on: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:03 am
My biggest worry is that a Virgin never goes the whole way. :D

Sorry, old joke.