Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > Future X-Prizes?

Future X-Prizes?

Posted by: deagleninja - Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:58 am
 [ 35 posts ] 
Future X-Prizes? 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:42 pm
Pete wrote:
Sigurd wrote:
Please calm down, and get to the facts..., cause life is more complex than beeing right and wrong..

I could say that goes for both of you.

Pete wrote:
Heres to another 70,000 posts, may the 70,000th post be made by a private individual from orbit!

Wicked. it might actually happen! Good to know we'll all be sticking around here for another six years (due to the Bigelow prize). Or maybe there will be a forum over there that we all move to? Who knows.

Regardless, we'll all remember 927 as one of the most important days in space history.

I have to agree.. I don't enjoy when people point at me without a nice reason, but I won't make a real fight out of it :) (I'm neither perfect :p)

I guess this forum will stay for a long time with the xprize cup, and I think bigelow prize (if they succeed to get that 50 million toghetter), else it could be a 25 million prize, will be the large goal and the xprize cup smaller progress goals, cause if they get to orbit, they also have an altitude record, that's also an X Prize Cup category. :)

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:18 am
great, so as soon as we can get affordable travel to orbit, we will have space hotels, at least from 2 companies bigelow and Japan's Obayashi Corp. with multiple corporations wanting this for their own ventures, the money should be created soon enough

Profile YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:33 am
i just feel obliged to point out that there's almost certainly an older thread here that has suggested a $50+ million orbital prize. it's certainly not a unique idea, and the fact that so many people've thought of it seems to indicate to me that it's a good idea. i am rather suprized (pun intended) that bigelow has stated their intent to do a large prize like this, and have actually been successful in raising money for it (think of how long it took the xprize to raise half their purse). that says to me that it'll be successful.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:42 am
TerraMrs wrote:
i just feel obliged to point out that there's almost certainly an older thread here that has suggested a $50+ million orbital prize. it's certainly not a unique idea, and the fact that so many people've thought of it seems to indicate to me that it's a good idea. i am rather suprized (pun intended) that bigelow has stated their intent to do a large prize like this, and have actually been successful in raising money for it (think of how long it took the xprize to raise half their purse). that says to me that it'll be successful.

I guess the xprize made a great example, and proved that prizes who worked in the past are still working today.. I hope more people will come forward and set up great prizes :)

@Terryk, I didn't knew Japan's Obayashi Corp. existed .. thanks for sharing this with us :) do you have more info about their project ?

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9705/25/japan.space/
Japan's Obayashi Corp., which so far has done all its building in Tokyo, is now drawing up plans to build a colony on the red planet by 2061. As Obayashi's Chief Research engineer, Yoji Ishikawa, puts it: "We immigrate, then we permanently live there. We raise kids there, then we make the planet our home."

:) I love companies who dream, I think with the current development, 2061 will be possible for a colony on the red planet :)

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:25 pm
all I know about them is waht was in the article and they seem to still be a major international corp. with holdings in many industriesif I remember right from news stories and other sources tehir main concern at the time was cost of transportion to the hotel/orbit. but haven't heard much about them since.

Profile YIM