Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > "The Rocket Company"

"The Rocket Company"

Posted by: The Legionnaire - Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:36 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
"The Rocket Company" 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post "The Rocket Company"   Posted on: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:36 pm
Over at hobbyspace.com, there's a great novel about the development of a reusable rocket, written by Patrick J. G. Stiennon & David M. Hoerr. The novel appears in serial form, one chapter per week, at
http://www.hobbyspace.com/AAdmin/archiv ... ePage.html.

It's actually fascinating reading. The fictional novel discusses the challenges and trade-offs of building a revolutionary new space vehicle. I highly recommend that all of you check it out.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:52 pm
note: if you click on the URL, remove the . after it, cause it makes the URL wrong.

Sigurd
http://hhboard12.free.fr/Sigurd/index.html

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: "The Rocket Company"   Posted on: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:07 pm
The Legionnaire wrote:
Over at hobbyspace.com, there's a great novel about the development of a reusable rocket, written by Patrick J. G. Stiennon & David M. Hoerr. The novel appears in serial form, one chapter per week, at
http://www.hobbyspace.com/AAdmin/archiv ... ePage.html.

It's actually fascinating reading. The fictional novel discusses the challenges and trade-offs of building a revolutionary new space vehicle. I highly recommend that all of you check it out.

I'm reading it, it's great. Not only does it explain space science and technology in simple terms, it shows how high tech enterprices are afected by economics, policy and politics. It's also a window into the mind of the aerospace engineer.

It's relevant to XPrize technology because it deals with low cost rehusable space access, like Rotary Rocket. (And yes, Burt Rutan's SS1 is mentioned!)

As a plus, one of the authors designed a space ship currently under production, the Kisler.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:59 pm
This is a quote from John Carnak's from his Q&A thread:

orbital:
My pet plan for orbital has been "boosted SSTO" for quite some time. This is basically the plan described in "The Rocket Company" serial on Hobby Space -- a straight up / straight down booster, and a very high performance upper stage. I think there are strong engineering and operational reasons for this, even though it looks like an inefficient staging point at first glance.

Aparently he liked reading it.

However, the novel's analysys of Burt Rutan's use of composite materials caused controversy, see the thread Technicals Firsts of SS1.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:56 pm
The Rocket Company is an excellent read if you have the time, I especially like this particular quote as it relates to the X-Prize

"But John Forsyth wasn't intending to wait around until the demand was there. He was going to develop the demand by careful nurturing the expectation that things like lunar expeditions would soon become paying propositions."