Community > Forum > All other competitions > impressed by ARCA

impressed by ARCA

Posted by: n54 - Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:04 am
 [ 19 posts ] 
impressed by ARCA 
Post    Posted on: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:25 am
Hello, Martin,

I'm wondering about your words concerning a translation - do you want something to be translated from German to English? ARCA' site has an english version as well as an romanian version but not german version.

Aah - is it because of livia_ro's post?

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post ARCA   Posted on: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:29 pm
I wish those guys in ARCA every success. What they have done is very impressive, especially the fact they are using composite material, i.e. plastic, for their engines. Does anybody have an idea of what that amazing material might be? The weight savings must be considerable, over an engine made of, say, inconel.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post pages in german   Posted on: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:40 am
Those pages in german can be easily translated using Google or Altavista translation tools. It is very exciting to find new information about ARCA . It seems to me that they are quite reluctant to post detailed info on their web site - there aren't many photos there and most of them are very small.

Profile YIM
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:22 pm
Just read ARCA's Web site to get informed on their recent launch. They posted a lot of good photos of the team, press, the demostrator rocket and launch pad, some cool looking optical rocket traking equipment and the launch itself. This last photos are very impresive, the roket launched with strong wind and turbulence and some mechanical problems but flew very well. They reached the highest altitude of an X prize launch from the ground with liquid propelants. Impresive for their first launch. 8)

I would have waited for a clear sky day but they had alredy delayed the launch and probably needed to show something to the press. Their
9crity was good and the roket was recovered without damage.

Acording to the photos everything seems quite simple, maybe even a little rustic (see the control panels). Shows you can do interesting reserch and development with out a big technological/industrial base. I hope ARCA becomes a trailblazer for developing countries. Their tipe of operation could be replicated in many small and non rich countries.

I'm happy their program is working well and advancing. I hope they can get financial backing. They look like a team with great potential, I hope soon they get to be as big as companies like Starchaser, a goal that looks achivable. Probably Burt Rutan's recent achivements will atract attention to the sector, and since not everybody is a Paul Allen the smaller teams could get a piece of the investment action.