Community > Forum > Historical Ansari X Prize > What happens when the x prize is won?

What happens when the x prize is won?

Posted by: zap2088 - Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:14 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
What happens when the x prize is won? 
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post What happens when the x prize is won?   Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:14 pm
If this x prize is won this year will any of the other teams give up? I have read that there will be yearly contests in New Mexico. However, I thought the criteria for "coolness factor" was sort of corny. Yea, it would help if the ship looked nice but it wouldn't add to the fact that it can get into space. . .Anyway, I look forward to seeing how x prize progresses.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:32 pm
if it's capable of getting into space, it will look nice.

Profile YIM
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:37 am
I agree with you bad_astra. The designs so far are intriging to say the least. What is your favorite team? Also, do you believe that the x-prize will truly usher in a new age of space trasportation and exploration. This question is open to anyone. Does anyone have a hypothetical time table? My guess off the top of my head is that a private venture will reach mars before a public one. What does this say about NASA? I think NASA is vital to space exploration but they need to get their act together in administration and recieve more funding. I think what they are attempting with the international space station is incredibe. I just saw their latest i-max at the NASA center and it was a documentary on the international space station in 3d. (This I highly reccommend for someone in florida). Getting back to the x-prize. Perhaps one day an x-prize ship will dock at the international space station and say hello. Until that day, I look forward to seeing the progression of events.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:18 am
zap2088 wrote:
I agree with you bad_astra. The designs so far are intriging to say the least. What is your favorite team?.

I've always liked DaVinci's plan. I'm a big fan of rockoons though, so I am biased.

zap2088 wrote:
Also, do you believe that the x-prize will truly usher in a new age of space trasportation and exploration. This question is open to anyone. Does anyone have a hypothetical time table?

I think so. Really I think MirCorp and Tito really got the ball rolling, but X-Prize makes it official. Time will tell. I'd like my descendants to have an option, to be able to really believe there are real physical frontiers out there. But the time table is closer then that. Sometime, in my lifetime, (with the usual Clarkian phrase, "If all goes well") I'm going into space, and so will a lot of other folks.

zap2088 wrote:
My guess off the top of my head is that a private venture will reach mars before a public one. What does this say about NASA?

That NASA did it's job and paved the way by scouting out the area first (The Mariners, the Vikings, MGS, MCO, Pathfinder, the MER's)

zap2088 wrote:
I think NASA is vital to space exploration but they need to get their act together in administration and recieve more funding. I think what they are attempting with the international space station is incredibe.

I no longer feel as I used to about ISS. Spending billions of dollars on an international boondoggle that sucks up money from every other program and delivers less science then Skylab. To me, that is incredible.

zap2088 wrote:
Perhaps one day an x-prize ship will dock at the international space station and say hello. Until that day, I look forward to seeing the progression of events

Maybe if we are lucky those ships will dock at Bigelow's hotel instead, and we will all be passengers. The future looks bright. Ad Astra Per Aspera!

Profile YIM
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:36 pm
I for one would like to get into space in my lifetime. As well. bad_astra what is your relation to the x prize? Mine is one of appreciation and following events. I am a film maker by profession. I think making a documenary about the x prize teams, program, and the future would be captivating. However, at the moment I do not have the funding to travel around the US and world to interview and create such a documentary. So for now I watch from the side lines. all the best.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:45 pm
I got no relation to the prize. Anyways, I've signed certain agreements with the company I am in, so I don't think I could help any of these groups even if I could, due to noncompetition clauses and NDAs.

Profile YIM