Community > Forum > All other competitions > Scaled Tier 2!?

Scaled Tier 2!?

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:27 pm
 [ 36 posts ] 
Scaled Tier 2!? 
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:53 am
Looking at the photographs of Wight Knight and SpaceShipOne I suppose Wight Knight to be designed for testing purposes.

The equipment used to carry SpaceshipOne for air launch to the altitude of 15 km might be installed to another aircraft that perhaps is operating at altitudes above 15 km.

And perhaps there might be possible alternative constructions using the wings of SS1-like crafts to reach launch altitudes and after releasing of the spacecraft using the wings of the carrier itself.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Last edited by Ekkehard Augustin on Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:53 am
Well, i was thinking along the line that if Scaled was going to use the same SS1 design and scale it up to a 6 person or even a orbital version, why not start of with carrier vehicle with the necessary payload capacity?

You would not have to go to the proccess of rebuilding a new Whiteknight when they scaled up. The upfront capital cost might be abit more expensive but if Scaled is in the business (which they said they are) for the long term, it might be worth the investment.

It also leads to another question if another investor wants to buy Scaled's system, does he have to buy both WK and SS1? Suppose a group comes along and says they want to use it on a existing cargo plane? Could it work?

Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:17 am
That relies upon the enterprise philosophy of Scaled I don't know right now. Bit they may license the investor - perhaps providing the condition that he has to share them to improvements. And they might give separated licenses for Wight Knight, SpaceShipOne and the equipment to connect them.

Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:20 am
There's a News today assisting SawSS1Jun21's post from Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:32 pm.

Scaled Composites will design the Crew Exploration Vehicle together with AirLaunch as member of the team of Transformational Space Corporation.

I don't know what "design" is including really but it might open access to Know How required to reach the orbit for Scaled.

And the CEV will be an interplanetary spacecraft! ...

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:46 am
Ekkehard Augustin wrote:
There's a News today assisting SawSS1Jun21's post from Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:32 pm.

Scaled Composites will design the Crew Exploration Vehicle together with AirLaunch as member of the team of Transformational Space Corporation.

I don't know what "design" is including really but it might open access to Know How required to reach the orbit for Scaled.

And the CEV will be an interplanetary spacecraft! ...

A finger in every pie. :) I hope we go back to the early days of space flight. Aleast there was some competition between the various design houses (Republic/Rockwell/North American/Convair) without the problems associated with them that let to their demise.

Post    Posted on: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:27 am
They will be paid for the participation in designing the CEV - this means nothing else than getting ressources assisting Scaled's thoughts of reaching the orbit.

Plus the Know How.

Similar to Interorbitals fund raising by building spaceports and a part of Dick Rutans Global Hilton Balloon.