Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > What percent of the population knows about China's launch?

What percent of the population knows about China's launch?

Posted by: TerraMrs - Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:39 am
 [ 15 posts ] 

Poll ended at Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:39 am
<5% 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
10% 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
25% 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
50% 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 9

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post What percent of the population knows about China's launch?   Posted on: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:39 am
Today, I was talking with one of my friends at lunch, and I asked him what he thought about China's man in space. He said he thought it was cool, but he had only seen something about it on a random forum he visits. We hypothesised that, if you asked the average american what countries have sent men into space, you would hear something like 'We have of course, and so have those russian guys, but no one else', so we tested it. I asked about 5 people if China had sent a man to space, and of those, only one knew it had, and then only because he's a big fan of space travel and watches the space.com forums. Something needs to be done about this.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:25 am
So it was not an National TV ?
Here in Belgium it was ... I'll do the test also by asking a couple friends/family.

to be continued ...

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:15 am
Why am i not surprised? :roll: American apathy combined with American-centric views result in ignorance of such an historic achievement :?

In Australia, everyone except the morons heard about it. It was major news.

Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:33 pm
Historical? Yes, at least for China and the "developing" world. A milestone in spaceflight history. Not really. As many have pointed out, the US and Soviets did the same thing over forty years ago.

You folks in Oz are much more atune to what's going on in Asia (for obvious geographic reasons) than we in America are. Don't bash us Yanks for having a few more important things to worry about (like the war on terrorism). Australia is a rich country, where's your space program?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:32 pm
haha, war on terrorism? seriously, space is so much more important than that right now. i mean, outside of the middle east, there hasn't been any major terrorist activity in quite a while, and i think we all know the fiasco iraq has become, setting back the war on terrorism, not helping at all. what we should really hope for is a good president next election who'll care more for space than pre-empting a threat that barely existed.

Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:50 pm
You have no clue what you are talking about. We don't have any imminent threats from space trying to destroy America (at least none we know about).

However, there are plenty of terrorists out there that would like to see us all die in a radioactive burning pit. The fact that there haven't been any terrorist attacks on US soil since 911 means that America's war on terrorist is going reasonably well and at least we are keeping our own shores safe. The terrorists are all flocking to Iraq now to kill US soldiers. Would you rather have them setting up roadside ambushes in your hometown?

If you think the President should be responsible for space exploration (i.e. increased government funding), then why the hell do you care about the X Prize?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:37 pm
I agree with TerraMrs,

First of all, I don't think we can get the world rid of terrorists.
why ? the same answer is a question, what is a terrorist ?

A terrorist is a person that thinks diffrent or wants to harm somebody or people in an other country or even in his own country. or with other words create "terror", make people sceard, let them react etc...

Currently the war on terror, led by the US attacked already 2 countries, first Afghanistan, oke this was a war between 2 countries, US vs Afgh. cause they created 11Sept, or sponsored it.
So very understandable to take revenge, cause it's in human nature..
That's why they attacked Afghanistan.

Iraq ? no those where'nt terrorists, no link to 11 sept, they had an other "opinion" and no proof of weapons of mass destruction.
And if they would still have them, then the question is, who gave it to them, the US gave Iraq weapons to defend itself against Iran, Iraq claimed later they had destroyed those weapons (cause iraq seemed to have used them also for other purposes).

So, Iraq is just in "my" opinion an attack on a country that just needed time to change. (isn't north korea a little 1000x more an international problem ?)

The question is, why became the people in afghanistan, so "against" the US, remember the cold war ? how the soviets and the US destroyed a "modern country" afghanistan into kinda nothing ?
They just wanted revenge like the US did when Japan attacked the US in the world war And with 11Sept on his turn.

But, the real answer to what a rerrorist is, that it are kinda "ANGRY" people.
EVERYONE can get against the United States at any time, any one can get against any one at ANY time, anyone can get against muslims, europians, ... at ANY time..

Anyone can try to make weapons and try to do terrible things.
Even a person like bush, clinton, john carmack, ... , can get mad at any moment, and make terrible acts (even with months of preperation), would they suspect them ? no!, but there're others who will do it in time and change from a public normal person to a public ennemy in 1 day.
Can we stop it ? no, we can't place on each street security, stop people at every corner for security checks, we just can't.

So, how do we need to stop terror ? we need to fix the real problems, problems why they got mad, why they got against us, or got into problems, that will reduce terror.
We don't need more and more checks for terror, we need to keep them, but not get creazy to check each person each day or so..

With attacking Iraq, they are "creating" angry people, they are creating "new terrorists", just think logical, put yourself in an iraqi citizen position, and think this happened to you, a US bomb killed your loved wife, a soldier killed your son working as a police officer when he was chasing criminals.
What would you do ? I would get AGAINST the US in that case, cause I know I wouldn't be able to think logical anymore after such dramatic things.
several thousands of Iraqi citizens died already, but they kinda only report when a soldier or citizen from US/UK dies.
So there will be peace in iraq, when they killed almost every citizen with force.
Giving them foot, water, a good life; will keep them happy and become amarican friends, but showing them force NEVER WILL make them friends "give them food and games, like the romans did" that's a solution, but that's maybe too late already.

This is how I look at it and that's my opinion.

Space on the other side, is something totaly diffrent, we NEED to develop and if you're against space explortation, just consider this:

We're part of a universe, with billions of objects, rocks etc, each second a large rock may hit earth, killing millions of people, why don't try to avoid this with building huge space rocket shields ?

Earth may become a place where a disaster hapenned, so having a second location on mars or the moon would be only saving humans.

People should not think black and white, but everything is gray, there is no good and evil, only an other side of an opinion, so making friends is the answer, joining toghetter, war is only to "defeat, kill" the ennemy.
You can force a person to be something or someone else, neither in iraq, so there will be resistance.

So space is the future and we should explore it! it isn't more then a normal human development, what in time can and will "save life".
But it's only a part of our development, we defenatly should also invest more in psychological humen development, education and world wide health care. and also give everyone the chance to have acces to water and food, but our current world will only get worse to life for humans, so space may give an answer, in space we may be able to make huge stations to grow food etc... each development may give 10001 new answers, but always also new questions, but if we don't develop, we'll all die anyway sooner or later.

Quote:
he fact that there haven't been any terrorist attacks on US soil since 911 means that America's war on terrorist is going reasonably well and at least we are keeping our own shores safe.

So I think the war on terror BEFORE 911 whent also well, cause I neither saw any terrorist attack, sorry but what you just said makes no sence to me.

Quote:
If you think the President should be responsible for space exploration (i.e. increased government funding), then why the hell do you care about the X Prize?

Cause he isn't increasing funding ? cause they aren't helping private space businesses to make commercial flights ?

Learn more about history, logics and psychology my friend unknown "guest", try to speak atleast with a name I would really appreciate that.

Quote:
Don't bash us Yanks for having a few more important things to worry about (like the war on terrorism).

We worry as much as you do, that's why a lot of our countries warned the US before the war in iraq, so don't blame us either.
And I'm also sure a lot of people inside the US neither agree with the governement and the war on iraq.

Sorry if my english isn't perfect and I hope you'll respect my opinion and tell me if I'm wrong or if you have an other opinon.
And try not to fight for your opinion, cause this isn't a war of beeing wrong or right as some people may see this post, but share your opinions.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:44 am
Sigurd,

Keeping in mind that is a forum for space development and the XPRIZE, not specifically for a discussion of Iraq or terrorism, I appreciate your comments regarding US government policy, terrorism & Iraq. And do not worry, your English is good enough.

I live in the US (Texas) and have some strong opinions regarding how the US entered the war in Iraq. The US Congress has a constitutional duty to declare war, if there is a threat to the common defense of US citizens. Unfortunately, this has not happened since World War II. By the way, the US went to war to rid the world of another terrorist, Hitler & company, and liberated Belgium, Europe, Asia and the rest of the world. I believe that you live in Belgium. My father and uncles, those who came home and those who did not, deserve every appreciation for their sacrifice.

Lastly, as we discuss how to leave Iraq, we should all be concerned how to do it in manner as not to make the situation worse. If the US were to leave now, there would be a blood bath of epic proportions. For those of you interested in positive ideas regarding this subject, I highly recommend the Cato Institute website www.cato.org :D Enjoy!

Moving on to space and the XPRIZE, Cato also has done some of the best analysis regarding private space development and role that US government has played in retarding the private commercial development of space.

Please go to www.cato.org and search "private space". Also there is an excellent paper, Introduction: The Coming Commercial Frontier in Space by Edward L. Hudgins at www.catostore.org/pdfs/pdf001_space-intro.pdf . This is how I was introduced to the XPRIZE organization.

I look forward to working with you in space! Remember freedom works! :D

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:38 pm
yea, leaving now is a bad idea, and we can't do anything but make it better now, but in the future our government should think before it leaps, even into space, but that's a slightly different matter.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:30 am
I agree, leaving now would make it even worst, the US government should try to see good relations also as a more important priority.

If they make more friends back in europ, I think sending more troops would be a great answer, but not people only trained as soldiers, but medics, people trained to rebuild cities etc etc so iraqi's will see a lot of other people from other countries and see faster more good changes.
So they will get the feeling the war and the deads, was for a beginning of a better country.

Same with space exploration, we should all work toghetter, and I hope the US will allow china to help with ISS when the right time comes.

And that the US (and all other countries) will allow to have a private space businesses.

To go back to the topic, I really think only a really small percentage know about the china launch, most people I showed the x-prize even don't find it intresting... and china is very far away and RUSSIA and US did it before, so they see no intrest in both...
Going out to a dancing and talking about their great stories of going out with friends is for a lot people I personaly know more important then new developments and the thousands of people who die daily cause of no food or water.., It's really terrible to see people who think it's just normal like we live, forgetting the billions of people who died in history to make it better...
Thinking the worst happens always somewhere else, not here, aids is for black people or idiots etc etc...
It's terrible that a lot people need to see first a disaster in their own local city before they start realizing the world like it is now is a great gift of the people who lived in the past, but still 99.98% not perfect yet and it's to us, to make it even better for our children and not to waste it for them.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:17 am
I have to say that the US abandoning Iraq is not the ideal solution. However, I feel that the US has made an enemy of every Iraqi person by its heavy-handed tactics. They are a great army for winning wars, but useless at peace-keeping, because the US Govt. and its organs, including the Armed Forces, lack the tact and understanding of the Arab culture in the region to solve the Iraq issue.

I'm from Ireland myself, and the Irish armed forces have been very successful in our UN peace-keeping missions. Some Irish soldiers died in the Congo, the Lebannon and other areas where we were peacekeeping, but we didn't react like a bull in a china shop, like America has done in Iraq. We respected the Lebanese people and the vast majority respected us in return as fair-minded and just. We recognised that if we reacted as America had done, we would have become hated and become a target for even more attacks. America can't see that their 'armed' overreaction to each attack is simply stirring up anti-American feeling in the Middle East, particularly among Iraqi civilians themselves. No wonder they are sufferiing so many casualties there!

The solution is clear, a phased withdrawal of US troops to be replaced by UN peacekeepers, from neutral countries (such as Ireland :roll:) , who have successfully kept the peace in countries across the world by considering carefully the consequences of our actions before acting. These would be acceptable to both the ordinary civilians, who would recognise that the peacekeepers were there to protect and help them, and they would not be considered a threat by extremists. There would be less attacks on a UN force made up of neutral countries, and this would facilitate the return of Iraq to a normal peaceful state, surely the ultimate goal at the end of this whole sorry mess.

To get the thread back on topic, I was surprised and disappointed that the Chinese launch of a man into space got so little publicity. For China, it represents a massive step forward, and for all of us, it means being one step closer to commercial space travel, the goal of the X Prize contestants. Personally, I don't really care who is first to do it, so long as all projects involved succeed at some point. The act itself, rather than the group that achieves it, is the important part.

Post    Posted on: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:49 pm
Television is a powerful and misunderstood medium. There was maybe a day or two of coverage regarding the Chinese launch of a man into space. After a week, it was no longer news, therefore no television coverage.

But if you think about it, people must see it more than just a handful of times to become part of our common cultural experience. This is why political candidates show the same commercial advertisements many times a day before an election or some people know more about some charaters in a daily television show than their own neighbors.

However, the Chinese are not helping much either.
1. The launch was not televised live (chickens!). Live is always better than recorded. I love football (soccer) live, but recorded looses its attraction.
2. The next man to be launched by the Chinese is not scheduled until 2005. Why not before the next US or Russian manned launch?

This means that the next manned space mission will be the Russian program or an XPRIZE team. :D

Once XPRIZE teams start carrying paying passengers on suborbital flights on a routine basis, a new debate will begin. Should the cost and risk of space operations be born by governments or private companies who will benefit, in either case?

My prediction: a majority of manned space operations will be private by 2010. Thank you XPRIZE :!: :D

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:16 pm
i agree. privatization is the logical answer to virtually all technological questions (not counting nukes and stuff like that). btw, china's launch recieved no coverage here in the US. i'm not sure if it was o major television networks since i don't watch them much, but it didn't make it in the newspaper so i'm assuming it wasn't.

Post    Posted on: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:35 pm
There was US national TV and newspaper coverage of the Chinese manned launch. But it was not enough to capture most people's attention.

I saw the NBC evening news on launch day. There was a story regarding the Chinese launch and that China was the third nation to put a man into space. Again, if the Chinese had broadcast the launch live, there would have been coverage closer to that of the Mercury launches.

The Dallas Morning News and New York Times had 4 and 8 articles, respectively, regarding the Chinese launch and its implications.

If the next Chinese manned launch isn't until another 2 years, the XPRIZE will be won by then. Come to think of it, because the XPRIZE requires 2 launches in 14 days, there should be some very extensive coverage of the second launch, to see an episode of "Who Wants to be a (10) Millionaire?"8)

Last edited by traveler on Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:21 pm
lol, yea, that's about right.