Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > Are you going to the 9/29 flight?

Are you going to the 9/29 flight?

Posted by: JustMeKevin - Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:47 pm
 [ 43 posts ] 

Are you going?
Yes 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Hopefully 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
I Wish! 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
Only if I win the lottery between now and then 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 32

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:50 pm
I am thinking of taking off weds/thurs/fri. I mean, the cost of going to Mojave, and then having the flight delayed a day or two would really suck. This way, I can be at work on Monday, and have a 5-day flight window for seeing the launch. I guess I'll be flying in Tuesday night, and driving to Mojave, so that part won't be too fun.

I am still trying to find out what the times are for volunteers at the event - do you think an hour earlier and an hour later than most people would arrive on the 29th?

- binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:58 pm
I dunno. I actually signed up to be on the volunteer roster, and i got an email. I'll ask, and let you know what I find out.

"Truth is absolute. Perception is relative"

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:12 pm
I'm going.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:30 pm
Very cool. How are you getting there. I see you're in central CA. You just going to drive out?

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:26 am
binarysunrise wrote:
I am still trying to find out what the times are for volunteers at the event - do you think an hour earlier and an hour later than most people would arrive on the 29th?

now the problem is figuring out when "most people" would arrive. got to remember that you're going to be dealing with a bunch of fanatics like us and they will probably be there for days by the time the launch actually gets around to happening. so i would say that an hour before most arrive is probably going to be on the 25th ;) i suppose you're better off just asking them than trying to speculate hehe.

UCF-LM CWEP Intern
Lockheed Martin Orlando
Missiles & Fire Control

Profile YIM WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:53 am
Dang it, I wish I could go! That ain't gonna happen, though, I have school that day (Duh, Scaled just had to make it a Wedensday flight) and anyways there would be no way I could have gotten out there. Oh, well, I already got to see the first private manned space flight, I suppose that's just as good, if not better. If I asked my parent's about this, the giggle factor would be huge, "why in tarnation do you have to see a second launch!?" Okay, that's exactly how they would NOT respond, but the gist is the same. If we still had that Piper Cherokee I might have been able to convince my dad to make a trip in it, but that's not an option.

Still, go spaceshipone! Best of luck to Scaled, and all those who can see the flight. :wink:

PS, there needs to be some sort of "salute" emoticon. That would be useful sometimes.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:11 am
Actually, I'm not going...I didn't realize it fell on a Wed. I just asumed that it was going to be another Saturday launch

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:24 am
I hear you guys on the choice of Wednesday. I have two days off I can take from work. Getting there from Texas is going to be tough without taking more time off. Man! If it were on Satuday... :!:

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:54 pm
Just got a reply back from Jennifer Cohen regarding volunteering and the launch. Volunteers do not need a parking pass, as they will have a separate area near the check-in. The time commitment needed for volunteers depends upon what they are actually assigned to do, with some positions requiring arrival by midnight for their jobs.

Just passing the info along....

- binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:06 am
Excellent. Thanks for the info!

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:32 pm
I am definitely going, the Voyager Restaurant on the flightline is awesome! :D I am in Fresno, which is about a three hour trip to Mojave, but for out-of-state visitors I would recommend Bakersfield, which is a pretty decent-sized city and is only an hour away from Mojave on a pretty good highway. All the comforts of home, and a ton of motels and places to stay. It is entirely possible to walk into the airport, but with all of the vehicle traffic expected, unless you have a pressing need to be on the runway when the White Knight takes off you can get just as good a view of things from anywhere in a one or two mile radius of the airport. Be prepared for the $2.35 per gallon gasoline, though.

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:44 pm
gregm wrote:
I am definitely going, the Voyager Restaurant on the flightline is awesome! :D

Agreed.

gregm wrote:
for out-of-state visitors I would recommend Bakersfield, which is a pretty decent-sized city and is only an hour away from Mojave ...

Bakersfield? L.A. is only an hour and twenty minutes in the other direction -- on a real highway!

gregm wrote:
unless you have a pressing need to be on the runway when the White Knight takes off you can get just as good a view of things from anywhere in a one or two mile radius of the airport.

You can't get the view of a spaceship landing about a hundred feet away from you.

Post    Posted on: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:46 pm
Alas. It's not looking good for me making it :( I think I'll cry now.

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Fort Worth Transplant will be there!   Posted on: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:35 pm
Derek here:

I plan on flying from Philly to Vegas for a few days, then take a puddle jumper over to LA on Monday the 27th. I'll be bumming around LA for a few days then rent a car and head out to Mojave, maybe get a hotel in lancaster which is just 30 minutes south of mojave. I signed up to be a volunteer so depending on my duties I'll be either in LA helping the Hollywood office or out in Mojave. It would be great to meet up with some people. I was there for the first one and had a blast! Write me!

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post I wish   Posted on: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:22 am
I wish that I had enough money to get there but its too expensive for me right now.

Only flights from Finland to Los Angeles would cost at least 900euros. :(

Well I hope you guys who are going there tell the rest of us what hapend and how much history we missed. :)

Profile ICQ