Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > Are you going to the 9/29 flight?

Are you going to the 9/29 flight?

Posted by: JustMeKevin - Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:47 pm
 [ 43 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Are you going?
Yes 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Hopefully 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
I Wish! 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
Only if I win the lottery between now and then 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 32

Post Are you going to the 9/29 flight?   Posted on: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:47 pm
So... who all is going to watch SpaceShipOne make the first of it's X Prize flights on September 29?

Where are you coming from?

Are you going to volunteer?

Anyone want to share a ride?

"Truth is absolute. Perception is relative"

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Travelling to the launches   Posted on: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:54 pm
Well, I have just looked up some costs for visiting the launches. It seems for me, on the east coast, airfare would be twice as expensive to visit Da Vinci's launch in Canada than it is for heading out to California. Have others found this to be the case?

I was hoping it might be the opposite, as I would love to see the balloon launch.

Regarding hotels, it seems as if there isn't much in Cananda, nor is there much in Mojave. So far the best I have found still available in Mojave is the Motel 6, at $32/night. In fact, its the only rooms I've found that are available....

binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:42 am
Grab that Motel 6 if you need civilization, or rent an RV and camp on the runway with the rest of us desert rats. That's where the party will be. You'll be too excited to sleep the night before, anyway!

Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:08 pm
I certainly wouldn't mind renting the RV! But I think it would actually be far more expensive, wouldn't it? If I can go at all I'll be pretty dern broke.

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post RV's   Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:55 pm
I just glanced at some prices for California. I didn't do any serious looking (I hate driving big cars), but it seems RVs are like $250-$500 for 4-7 days. So yea, I think it'd be more expensive.

Anyone here have actual numbers for the costs of their rental?

- binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:46 pm
hey, desertbadger... what's the chance you could help some of us non-locals out with some info? I know I can fly into LA, and round-trip tickets are less than $200.00. But then, of course, I have to get to Mojave. I'm thinking there will be other folks in the same situation.

What's the transportation like between LA and Mojave? Is there another major airport that would be better to fly into?

What would be cool is if we could somehow coordinate travelers and run some kind of shuttle or share the cost of other transportation.

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:51 pm
I am thinking of flying into San Diego, and stealing my sister's car for the week. It looks like it is 3.5hrs away. If you're thinking of an RV, perhaps a location in San Diego would work as well.

Profile WWW
Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:16 pm
Suggestion: If you can get the same fare to Burbank as LAX, you'll be closer to Mojave (and you'll avoid LAX; highly recommended). It's about an hour and change on the highway from Burbank.

Of course, you don't need an RV to camp on the runway -- a tent would do. The RV would only be cost-effective if you shared. There are also motels in nearby towns 15 minutes away that are not yet booked up.

binarysunrise -- San Diego is about 3.5 hours away if traffic is flowing like water on the 405. Which only happens in the middle of the night. Sometimes.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:37 pm
Hm...about this camping on the runway stuff. I like the idea of using a car and having a tent. Do they not mind everyone bringing tents and such?

I looked over the parking pass info, and it only mentions the RV pass allowing you to hook up your RV the previous night. The car parking pass is access to the 4500 space parking lot. So is the runway area you mention separate from these two, and not under event jurisdiction? (i.e. do we not need a permit for a tent?)

-binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:03 pm
binarysunrise wrote:
Hm...about this camping on the runway stuff. I like the idea of using a car and having a tent. Do they not mind everyone bringing tents and such?

I looked over the parking pass info, and it only mentions the RV pass allowing you to hook up your RV the previous night. The car parking pass is access to the 4500 space parking lot. So is the runway area you mention separate from these two, and not under event jurisdiction? (i.e. do we not need a permit for a tent?)

-binarysunrise

hey, binary -- that's just for an RV parking spot. No hookups. According to the ticket sales office (phone number at http://www.airshownetwork.com/x-prize), camping overnight before a launch is included in the price of your entry ticket. Tents are allowed. Just make sure you camp where you won't be run over by a car or charter bus, the sales agent suggests...

Good advice.

Here's another idea: Park your car or rented Harley or whatever in Mojave's central business district (for free) and walk to the airport. It's only a couple of blocks.

Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:14 pm
Okay. Now we're getting some excellent information! Keep it coming, guys! I'm going to check out flights to Burbank...

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:35 pm
desertbadger wrote:
Here's another idea: Park your car or rented Harley or whatever in Mojave's central business district (for free) and walk to the airport. It's only a couple of blocks.

Oh..*no* hookups (boy I read that wrong)...

Hm, but the $35 parking pass says it gives "access to the general public viewing area" - so it seems like it also serves as an admission pass. I'm not sure parking in mojave would work.

I really like the tent idea - seems like it'd be more comfortable than that 1-star Motel 6 with only smoking rooms available....argh!

- binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post You can see it from anywhere within several miles   Posted on: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:55 pm
...remember that WK makes the drop at 50K feet, so no matter where you are that sucker is a tiny white dot at lauch altitude. That rocket contrail is unmistakeable, though!

Yes, "parking pass" also means "get into the spaceport" ...I'm not even sure there is a pedestrian entrance. Of course, if you dont pony up the cash, you won't be able to hear the on-site announcements, but last time there was a simulcast on a local radio station.

The best part of being at the spaceport is a front-row seat for the take-off and landing operations. If you are an early bird and you're right in the front, that will place you only a couple hundred feet from the approach end of the runway, which by the way is as close as you will ever get to the ship(s).

I stayed in China Lake, which has a number of mid-grade hotels (for DoD and Contractors whom are visiting the Naval Weapons Station) so it was less spartan than most of the Mojave motesl probably are. It is 40 minutes away, however, so I woke up at 5:00 AM and arrived at the spaceport just in time to see WK and SS1 on taxi. The flight is really early becuase the California high deserts can get very windy mid-day. The crowd looks to be bigger this time around, so choose accordingly.

If you do choose to "roll your own" observation point, be advised that California Highway Patrol will not allow you to stop on the side of any of the 3 highways leading into town, so you will still need to be early and be creative as well. A recommendation in this case also: setup to the east of the spaceport. Last time the sun was an issue when viewing the ship(s) in flight. Granted, that was on solstice and this time its effectively equinox, but WK and SS1 are certified VFR ONLY so the Sun is still the timekeeper for the operation.

I won't be making it this time, so best of luck to all of you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:26 pm
I personally think that since the tickets are relatively cheap, and as long as they are still available, that we should buy them instead of finding a free alternative. After all, we're supporting a fledgling industry, and the xprize.

Now...if they give volunteers a free pass..... :wink:

- binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:42 pm
It looks like I'm going to have only two days off. At this point, it looks like maybe I can fly in to Burbank on the 28th, rent a car late that evening, drive out to Mojave and just spend the night in the car (or maybe bring a tent). Then a drive back to Burbank after the event and fly home.

-- the plan is solidifying --

Anybody else on a similar schedule? We could share the car maybe. Or something.

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW