Who will win?
Poll ended at Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:46 pm
Space Ship One 77%  77%  [ 20 ]
da Vinci Project 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
other 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 26

Possible 60 day announcement 
Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:22 pm
Yes, we talked a little while ago about th possibility that daVinci was waiting on Scaled to make an announcement so that daVinci could wring every last develpment hour out of the race before they launched. I suspect that daVinci determined that they didn't have time to do a series of test launches and still beat Scaled...so once the decision was made to go for the prize without a prior full test flight, then it seems reasonable to wait and time your launch to coincide with Scaleds...since daVinci will likely have only one shot at the prize anyway.

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:58 pm
If you're a non-press type person like me, you may be wondering just WHEN today the big announcement is supposed to be made. I emailed Scaled to see if i could find out. Scaled is usually excellent at replying to emails from fans, and this was no exception.

According to the reply I received, the press release is supposed to be on the main X Prize page at 11:30 a.m. PDT

"Truth is absolute. Perception is relative"

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:41 pm
Well the announcement is up on www.spacedaily.com right now. Their trying the first X-Prize launch on September 29th.

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:52 am
This is very frustrating. I want to vote in the poll but I can't do it. Is it my Mac OS X? Is it my aversion to Microsoft products? I'm logged in and I have an opinion but I can't express it.

Please, Sigurd, on behalf of Safari and Mozilla users, give us the right to vote in forum polls -- at least once!

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:56 am
:oops:
maybe this poll is closed? I seem to have voting rights elsewhere...

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:59 am
desertbadger wrote:
:oops:
maybe this poll is closed? I seem to have voting rights elsewhere...

I think this poll is "closed", or there is a scripting mistake on the forum.. I don't know..

Profile WWW
Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:17 am
Oh, well, not a problem. I keep changing my opinion anyway.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post To get Da Vinci in space....   Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:33 pm
So, what exactly is required for there to be an actual race to the finish line?

I've heard that Da Vinci needs $500,000 to finish their efforts, but I've also read that they only need $350,000. How much is this figure actually, and what proportion of costs is this? (i.e. are these funds still 20% of their costs, meaning that this isn't a goal they will reach in the immediate future, or is this just the final drop in the bucket?)

As for raising these funds, is that the reason for the August 5th roll-out? Is that going to be a fund-raising venture?

And on Xprizenews, there was an article where Nestle asked them how much it would cost to bring Smarties into space, but Feeney hadn't given them an answer yet. Is it just me, or should his answer have been "$350,000 please." Does anyone in the industry know what the value of an actual Nestle sponsorship would be?

- binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:53 pm
Can't answer anything about the funding. But you'd certainly think 350 grand would be chicken feed to Nestle.

But I don't see any "race to the finish line". If I understand correctly (and maybe I don't) the only way da Vinci could catch up is if SpaceShipOne fails their attempt. Which is possible, to be sure, but I don't expect it.[/i]

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:57 pm
Here was my line of thinking:

If Da Vinci has some type of funding miracle around the corner (I have a feeling that the Nestle thing is worth only like $10k), they could announce their 60-day notice on the 4th, along with their roll-out.

This seems like it might be a possibilty, as SS1 is trying for their second attempt on Oct 4th. (Is there any other reason its the 4th? Is it just a coincidence that that is the safest turn-around time).

In my wildest dreams, I was hoping that Da Vinci would announce their 60-day a few days earlier, and if by some chance their rocket's design allows for a quicker turn-around time than SS1, then it could be an interesting finish.

Supposing Da Vinci gets the funding, what else is required? (What the heck is the money for?) Is it buying gas for the balloon, or is it something more time consuming like allowing for the construction of high-tech seatbelts? What is left on their checklist?

How about the rest of you - what scenario could put Da Vinci in the running? (besides SS1 failing - that's no fun)....

- binarysunrise

Profile WWW
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:53 pm
I like the way you think. That would definitely raise the level of excitement if da Vinci came through and gave Rutan a run for the money. Maybe we should all chip in. I've got a quarter.

Visit FanSiteOne

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:32 am
Yeah, the poll sees to be closed. Can't vote either!

So far, the SS1 is the only full-scale hardware that reached space.
They have already shown that the X-prize is a reasonable target, surely within 60 days.
(maybe that's why the poll was closed)

If other contenders want to keep their credibility as potential X-prize claimers, they need to come up with working hardware realy soon now.

Other projects may look great, but so far wat did they show ?
Probably we are going to see a lot of things in the next weeks, but some of it is surely because "they feel obliged to show something".

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:21 am
It looks like the miracle might have happened. Brian will make a 'major announcement' along with the roll out. 8)