Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Serious proposition...

Serious proposition...

Posted by: kc7rad - Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:47 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 
Serious proposition... 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Serious proposition...   Posted on: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:47 pm
OK, now that I have vented most of my humorous leanings in some other forums, I do have a little proposition I would like to air.

Presumably, we have all watched the Discovery Channel and the NASA channel. How about building a webcast that combines the two. Technical yet fluffy enough to pull in the typical Schmoe (sorry for the reference to another of my posts :lol: ).

The technology definitely exists and with the advent of IPv6 (more advanced internet communications protocol), webcasting is thought to be the next valid internet entertainment medium. Getting in on the ground-floor, before other, larger organizations do, is the place to be.

Content: There is quite a bit of space and technology video content available from NASA. Some other content is available from other governmental and private agencies. Some content can be webcast with permission but the organizations I contacted view webcasting in the same light as illegal copying. Right now, I have about 3 hours of content but this venture would definitely need more.

Thoughts and discussion on this is more than welcome. If you have access to any content that can be legally webcast, especially dealing with space travel and the X-Prize, please let me know.

Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:20 pm
It seems to me that the key to a venture like the one you are describing would be to build brand awareness. Have you thought about putting together a 1/2 hour show with the content, well narrated and aimed at a novice audience that you could sell to the Discovery Channel (or like organization). At the end of the show, promote the web-site for more information and learning. Avid space hobbyists would probably find you on the web, but the uninitiated would need a hook.

Sorry I can't point you to any content.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:31 am
I personally do not care about the conventions of the digital millennium copyright act, the insane law which makes your proposal effectively illegal. If you wish to put together an educational site that by all means should be labelled as fair use, then I say do it, and perhaps host the server in a legal neutral zone like Sealand. That prevents an injunction against featuring the content, and if you don't want to be sued, well I dunno, I'd be happy to be sued if it meant educating the public on the flaws of copyright and the coolness of space at the same time. Use my name. or any other name. Just put somebody else's name on the site.
Just think, the controversy of such an action would be sure to bring quite a bit of free advertising, too. :)

Just a thought.
It's always worked great for me with my website, which features hundreds of copyrighted works.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:02 am
Sorry, that was perhaps a bit too controversial of a statement.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:32 pm
Electrolyte wrote:
Sorry, that was perhaps a bit too controversial of a statement.

Too controversial? HA! :lol: Not for me, anyway.

Unfortunately I know all too well the crippling effect of the DCMA. I started an audio webcasting and bandwidth company way back in 1999 or so. Everything was moving slowly along. I even garnerd the top Country & Western webcast on Shoutcast.com for a couple of weeks. THEN came the letter. One of the record companies sent me a nice letter wishing me well on my endeavor and... asking for money. I couldn't find a lawyer to help me out so I just decided to fold.

There are TONS of informational sites out there and I just don't think I could distinguish one well enough to pull significant traffic or make any money. Not that I am looking to be a millionaire, I just want a little income anyway.

About creating a show to sell to a network, well, initially I didn't like that because I just didn't have easy/inexpensive access to video hardware and talent. All I had was my S-VHS video camera, a digitizer and a simple video editing package. Now that I was accepted to graduate school, I just might have everything necessary... It is certainly worth reevaluation once the semester gets started.

I did put together a group of videos that I gained from several public domain sources and ran them as a test to see how many people I could get. I had over 1,300 unique viewers in 24 hours. That may not seem like a lot but please keep in mind that I could only have three concurrent viewers. Not bad for a start...

OK, I am going to take off my business cap, ruffle up my hair, put on my old ripped, stained Linux t-shirt for a minute and let you know what I think of the DCMA. The people who put this thing together had no idea what they were doing! Streaming??? What's that? So many politicians and business people can't differentiate between copying and streaming so media streamers get caught in a bad spot. Audio streamers are at minimum, providing free promotion for the songs they play... yet that have to pay to stream them... The record companies and RIAA are getting money AND free advertising!

OK, That's my 2 cents worth...

Profile ICQ YIM WWW