Community > Forum > Technology & Science > NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates

NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 29 posts ] 
NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates 
Author Message
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
avatar
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:52 pm
Posts: 4
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:45 am
According to the lecture given by NASA's Advanced Propulsion Lead, Dr. Harold White, the system needs substantial initial velocity before a massive (electric?) field is turned on which in effect propels the charged interstellar medium. He says it's similar to a submarine propelling water and thus gaining velocity.

See his Q&A session at the end of this lecture: http://youtu.be/9M8yht_ofHc?t=51m0s.


Back to top
Profile
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:40 pm
Posts: 30
Post Warp Test Apparatus May Need Modification   Posted on: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:47 pm
A new paper up on ArXiv finds that the test apparatus Sonny White is using to try and detect warp bubbles is not capable of doing so:

The Inability of the White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer to Spectrally Resolve Spacetime Distortions

If the findings are proven out, this does not mean a step backward in warp drive, it just means White will have to modify the design of his testing apparatus. Basically a delay in experimental progress. And, of course, there is a possibility that the paper is wrong, so we'll see.


Back to top
Profile
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
User avatar
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:17 am
Posts: 52
Location: Planet Earth
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Hi,

I will be the party pooper, this drive will never work because it violates the laws of the universe. The math has been done and it is wrong. No one will ever travel at the speed of light, or faster than the speed of light.

The closest and only way is to covert "yourself" into ones and zeros data, then attach it to light photons an transmit and receive that data and reassemble that data into "yourself". But even then that is not you because the original is destroyed, and you are not traveling at the speed of light your data is.

The laws of the universe are unbendable, which are GOD'S laws. So sayeth GOD and science since the laws of both are the same.

_________________
Terry
http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/uai.html


Back to top
Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:40 pm
Posts: 30
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:43 am
VolksRocket wrote:
Hi,

I will be the party pooper, this drive will never work because it violates the laws of the universe.


No, it doesn't. Alcubierre has shown that it does not violate theory. What remains is to show whether (a)the effect actually exists in nature, and (b)whether it's practical to generate it artificially.


Back to top
Profile
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:15 pm
Posts: 908
Location: Columbus, GA USA
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:36 pm
I would imagine that if you could create a "warp field", even a microscopic one, the effects would be pretty evident.


Back to top
Profile
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:51 am
Posts: 448
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:43 pm
VolksRocket wrote:
Hi,

I will be the party pooper, this drive will never work because it violates the laws of the universe. The math has been done and it is wrong. No one will ever travel at the speed of light, or faster than the speed of light.

The closest and only way is to covert "yourself" into ones and zeros data, then attach it to light photons an transmit and receive that data and reassemble that data into "yourself". But even then that is not you because the original is destroyed, and you are not traveling at the speed of light your data is.

The laws of the universe are unbendable, which are GOD'S laws. So sayeth GOD and science since the laws of both are the same.


As Optimistic Brian already pointed out: you are wrong.

Warp Drive (in theory) has been shown to be possible by Miguel Alcubierre in 1994 and as far as I know, this theory has never been proven wrong.

However, until Harold White proposed modifications to the Alcubierre Drive, it had been shown that the drive would require too much energy to ever be practical (first it was estimated to be more energy than then entire universe contains, later it was reduced to the mass of Jupiter.

According to Dr. White, about 1 metric ton of mass (if converted to energy iirc) would be enoug for a ~ 10 meter ship, but as far as I know, this has not been proven yet?


PS: I would greatly appreciate it if you could leave your god out of this discussion (or any other on this forum). This is not a religious forum and your religious beliefs do not contribute to the discussion, thank you.

_________________
pride comes before a fall


Back to top
Profile
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
User avatar
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:17 am
Posts: 52
Location: Planet Earth
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:10 pm
Hi,

Optimistic Brian - the theory is wrong, warp fields do not occur in nature and impractical (impossible) to create. I am just stating the immutable laws of the universe. "Warp Drive" will never happen because it would have to violate the laws of how the Universe actually works. I wish it didn't, but sometimes we have to accept the few limits of existence.

Marcus Zotti - The Laws of the Universe and GOD's Laws are the same, since how the universe is and how it works are the same as how GOD is and how GOD works (GOD's Laws). I guess that "my version" of GOD is 100% the same as how the Universe IS!

JamesG - You are correct, "if" you could create a warp field you would CLEARLY see it, but it cannot be done.

I am really a positive, optimitic guy, and believe in infinite possibility in infinite combination, in this infinite universe and according to it's Universal Laws! (Which are GOD's Laws!)

_________________
Terry
http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/uai.html


Back to top
Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
User avatar
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:52 am
Posts: 1379
Location: Exeter, Devon, England
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:15 pm
warp isnt travelling at the speed of light. it is warping space. it doesnt break the rule of faster than light travel.

_________________
> http://www.fullmoonclothing.com
> http://www.facebook.com/robsastrophotography
> robgoldsmith@hotmail.co.uk


Back to top
Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
User avatar
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:51 am
Posts: 448
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:33 pm
*sigh* *add to block list* :|

_________________
pride comes before a fall


Back to top
Profile
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
User avatar
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:17 am
Posts: 52
Location: Planet Earth
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:41 pm
Hi,

Rob Goldsmith - "BAM" you hit me hard! Your CORRECT! I confused threads. But "warp" drives will not work either, since space cannot be warped, bent, folded, or stretched, but can only be compressed or displaced. Simply put because space is infinite and 3D, not finite and 2D. It does also break the speed of light rule since it would "bypass it", but that is just symantics.

There is only one universe, it is infinite, and it works a certain way. If you go with it, you'll have a good day! If you don't you won't!

_________________
Terry
http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/uai.html


Back to top
Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
User avatar
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:52 am
Posts: 1379
Location: Exeter, Devon, England
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:01 pm
link to the science on that?

_________________
> http://www.fullmoonclothing.com
> http://www.facebook.com/robsastrophotography
> robgoldsmith@hotmail.co.uk


Back to top
Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 9:47 pm
Posts: 816
Location: Yerushalayim (Jerusalem) - capital of Israel!
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:09 pm
I am surprised that people are thinking about a ten meter long spaceship. Why not focus on just sending information faster than the speed of light? You do that, you change everything. And you prove that it is possible to warp stuff. And it requires a bagazillionth of the energy to warp a little itsy bitsy subatomic particle with information on it than it requires to warp a ten meter long spaceship.

_________________
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
-Anonymous


Back to top
Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:15 pm
Posts: 908
Location: Columbus, GA USA
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:40 am
Not really. Asweunderstandit the energy overhead of warping subatomic particles and whole spaceships (or planets for that matter) is pretty much the same (mind-bogglingly huge) that the size of your object is fairly meaningless. You are warping the space itself, the matter that happens to be there is just along for the ride.

Also part of the problem and our visualization of this solution does not lend itself to FTL transmission schemes. For one, the "traveling warp field/bubble" needs to haul its associated machinery along with it. And, presuming you could squirt your message along at FTL, it doesn't matter if you have nothing/no one to receive it on the other end because... they can't.


Back to top
Profile
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
User avatar
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 9:47 pm
Posts: 816
Location: Yerushalayim (Jerusalem) - capital of Israel!
Post Re: NASA JSC Warp Drive News & Updates   Posted on: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:53 am
Thanks for the clarification jamesg.

_________________
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
-Anonymous


Back to top
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 

Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


cron
© 2014 The International Space Fellowship, developed by Gabitasoft Interactive. All Rights Reserved.  Privacy Policy | Terms of Use