Community > Forum > Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) Forum > When Can SpaceX Do a Falcon 9 Launch Every 2 Hours?

When Can SpaceX Do a Falcon 9 Launch Every 2 Hours?

Posted by: jabowery - Tue May 06, 2014 11:20 pm
 [ 2 posts ] 
When Can SpaceX Do a Falcon 9 Launch Every 2 Hours? 
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post When Can SpaceX Do a Falcon 9 Launch Every 2 Hours?   Posted on: Tue May 06, 2014 11:20 pm
About 5 years ago I did a blog post titled "Arrival of the Solar Power Satellite" and did a rough calculation that, based on the Powersat patents, it would take 20,000 Falcon9 launches to replace the fossil fuel electric plants in the US. The total installed capacity would be under $3/W. If you do that over the course of 5 years that's an average of about of one Falcon 9 launch every 2 hours.

The calculations I went through are pretty simple so any bad assumptions or calculation errors should stand out.

PS: Powersat no longer exists and the patent application is still pending.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: When Can SpaceX Do a Falcon 9 Launch Every 2 Hours?   Posted on: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:34 am
I think never.

I think it's much more realistic that they launch a 12 times bigger rocket every day, for the same lifting capacity but with much less work.