Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > People are Stupid!

People are Stupid!

Posted by: Rob Goldsmith - Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:20 pm
 [ 26 posts ] 
People are Stupid! 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:39 pm
I just caught up with it with a link via a Discovery youtube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZDL_WLrmco

And and also wonder about the numbers of my fellow man choosing the lesser of the inaccurate answers.

But then again I would have thought more of my fellow space fellowship members would have spotted they all got it wrong including the question writers.

The correct answer is both the Sun and the Earth orbit around their common centre of gravity that's how we found the early exoplanets by the wobble on the suns. I am sure there have been a few links to that fact on this site IIRC :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:31 pm
Rob Goldsmith wrote:
This is hilarious! Like speaking to a 19th century monk!

A 19th century monk messing around with peas in the garden figured out basic rules of heredity, the foundation of genetics.

A large portion of science is based on works of deeply religious people one way or another. Human curiosity seems to overpower human ignorance on large scales, hence the modern world we see today.

Religion is and has been part of our biology probably ever since we developed speech, maybe even earlier. It clearly has evolutionary advantages, otherwise it wouldn't exist. Living systems tend towards efficiency hence any observed behavior or characteristic that is a widespread trait in a population is not going to be a detrimental one. Unless of course the population is at a point of a major environment shift, in which case all traits are being put to the test and their usefulness are re-evaluated.

You could argue that the emergence of our modern environment through our own activities is such a large scale change, but deciding wether religion is a detrimental trait is up to nature. The system is too complex to make simplistic judgment based on appearances or dislikes of certain types of behavior.

Is religion bad because people were killing eachother because of it?
Heck is killing eachother bad?

Biologicaly speaking I am not even sure how to make such judgements.

I "believe" in the fractal nature of the complexity of how the universe is built up. So complex living systems have behavioural similarities because of the similarities of interactions. The human body is built from the interaction of trillions of cells. I think humanity itself is basically the repetition of the same "type" of organisation on a different level. As in supraindividual organisms can be considered living organisms just as much as multicellular organism is considered living eventhough it still can be broken down to individual units that are also considered living.

In our body cell death happens on a constant basis, cells kill themselves, they also kill eachother depending on other conditions. The fetus develops through cell division, migration, AND programmed "suicide". So removal of units from a complex living system seems to be an important part of the operation.

Now look at human history, and the growth and development of our civilisation in that light. Nature seems to be building something complex "again", and it is just employing the same mechanisms it does on small scale. Copy units, move units, take units out of the picture, change interactions between units, create groups, add groups, take away groups etc....It's the same pattern.

So dismissing an integral and seemingly quite large portion of a living system like "religion" in case of humanity as something that is detrimental or needs to be gotten rid of doesn't make sense to me. I just never got how scientifically literate atheists have made such rush judgements when clearly the system in question is insanely complex and chaotic.

I am an atheist btw, although I do seem to worship the universe sometimes cause it's just so [censored] cool. :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:53 am
JamesG wrote:
Sigh... Are you drinking?

Rob Goldsmith wrote:
So you are telling me that if someone believes God created the world they can at the same time believe that it was formed in the way science currently understands? Clouds of dust spinning around a star etc?

Our current understanding and theory of the universe is highly influenced by Jedeo-Christian theology and thinking. The Big Bang Theory etc.

I love arguing about this. But Sigurd would kick me. But don't mix Judaism and christianity. There is no proof for christianity.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:57 am
LOL! A billion or so people would disagree. Other than than, I'm not going to drag this even further into the gutter.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:00 am
A big chunk of the world is illiterit, by the way.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:26 am
What's your excuse?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 am
JamesG wrote:
What's your excuse?

I was never properly edumnacated.

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:43 am
There are other species without religion that have evolved so you cant overly say it offers an advantage, although perhaps to slaves etc who would have given up without it. But then religion is a good way of having bad things happen and get people to do what you want them to do thinking they will get a better life, or people to go to war etc. It is powerful

James is right though, lets not go on :P at the moment there is absolutely no completely scientific evidence, until that is provided and does offer proof then it isnt up to me to prove something isnt real. It is up to them to prove it is. Giant spaghetti monster time :)

I only believe the way I do because quite simply ive heard of too many people dying from things that are to horrendous to even contemplate, if something made a world where this happens tens of thousands of times a day then he would have to ask for my forgiveness a lot more than me for his! It is sadistic and I wouldnt even love someone who allowed such pain let alone made it.

Moving on :P I think people overestimate education in society. Right now for example people in the UK want Muslim teachings included in science classes in the UK when that time could be spent doing science.

There was a documentary on over here where a scientist talked about evolution to muslim children and the class were rolling around laughing their heads off. They had no idea about how it worked as were told by their teachers it all means we came from monkeys, an almost attack on scientist. Evolution was (And I think worse than not being taught) taught wrong to make the children doubt it and pass it by.

This sort of teaching is without a doubt a hindrance to scientific learning.

Obviously there are other reasons people are stupid! We all have that person in a class who you just look at and wonder if anything is going on in their head!

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 pm
SuperShuki wrote:
I love arguing about this. But Sigurd would kick me. But don't mix Judaism and christianity. There is no proof for christianity.

You're certainly right about the "Sigurd would kick me." part ;)

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:46 pm
Sigurd wrote:
SuperShuki wrote:

You're certainly right about the "Sigurd would kick me." part ;)

Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. :P

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: People are Stupid!   Posted on: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm
What most people lack is not understanding, but the desire to understand - the ability to feel enriched by knowledge for its own sake. To them it's just a bunch of isolated facts they have to memorize in school, with no essential reality to them. Part of it is poor teaching, but the other part is that human consciousness is not evenly distributed - some people really are just talkative animals living day to day with no ability to stand apart and see anything objectively.