Team Prometheus

Posted by: Monroe - Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:42 pm
 [ 188 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Team Prometheus 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:58 pm
The electronics is about thermo-electrics. It is like Solid state stuff. My hope is it will provide me with the ability to improve my knowledge of physics and application thereof. But its certainly a long process. It takes years to do anything! Hopefully many people will begin to learn from Team Prometheus soon. Once people are able to access and use a certain technology it usually a matter of time until it becomes part of an economic activity. They used to call it telematics. Now it is a lot of many things people see as common.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 am
There are a few interesting uses I know of for thermoelectric's one I'm particularly interested in is the magnetocaloric effect, gadolinium is an element with interesting traits.

Being a machinist I have an interest in the Stirling engine (lots of machinist end up making one sooner or later) but it's use in the cryocooler is a more specific design of interest.

Peltier is one of the more well known thermoelectric devices.

I believe there are far more interesting discoveries ahead in thermoelectrics and perhaps even thermoelectric power generation. I believe with a better understanding of the unified field theory sub atomic power generation is possible without fusion.

So there is plenty of physics involved and you surely will learn a great deal more on your journey in that direction.

Team Prometheus will always be reaching and searching. Hopefully we will begin to present more information as we progress ahead as a team. I also hope we can provide links to team members or provide a web page for each member that we can all display our individual efforts as well as our team effort.

Eric and Michelle are making progress with the website and I hope that leads to more information being presented in a more usable fashion. Something like Armadillo had or perhaps more like Richard Nakka's website actually a cross of the two.

I am not one that really has the desire to spend a lot of time writing and it's easy to see why. I didn't think writing was important enough to take up space in my brain so my spelling and grammar are poor. Me I don't care about such things others are so inclined to the importance and criticize me so much I just don't do it. Like I said me I don't need it and I use that space for what I deem more relevant.

Anyway I think Team Prometheus really just now has something relevant to contribute. Up to this point information we had to share was readily available elsewhere and I also do not deem it necessary to rehash the same old stuff with our spin on it.

Another thing I'd like to say is others seem to feel I enjoy tooting my own horn about Team Prometheus. Well, for sure I've done my best to promote the team! Is that something I enjoy? Certainly not! I'd rather work quietly and focus on getting the job done. Promoting is not something I enjoy at all, I see it as necessary evil so I continue to do it. I am looking forward to the day I don't need to do that myself any longer. It's a waste of my time I could better use working. But, until Team Prometheus is fully self supporting I must continue to do just that.

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 am
FYI as you seem to be interested in thermoelectric stuff a link to some recent advances

http://nextbigfuture.com/2014/01/solar- ... ately.html

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:15 am
Thanks Alex.
I am familiar with these advances in materials. Similar to how syngas and synfuel have been integrated into the utilities. (In AUS and NZ at least) I am sure they will go for a commercial kick off. But these ideas were around, from my understanding, just the materials were not cheap or feasible. It seems to me there is plenty of thermo-electric advances in commercializing the materials side. I have seen dozens of companies and projects and still think its someones lost dream from 3 decades ago. LOL.

For instance these would be super useful at the high altitudes where any thin crystals substrate and layers of whatever films enjoys the upper atmosphere. Even saw Stirlings for space and its pretty crazy that they cancelled them not realizing how efficient it can be. The goal of many thermoelectric, piezo/acoustic #whathaveyou were developed for space exploration but never got any support. Super loss IMO.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:32 am
I think I have seen a few things that suggest they are getting closer to being commercially viable in recent years on the thermoelectronic front. I would be interested in any links on Stirling engines in space if you have them. I think that materials technology is currently going thru a new mini renascence(that is if my spell checker has guessed the right word :wink: ) and things that were previously not thought not commercially viable may become so gradually thru this decade.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 am
I don't remember how to find the links.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 am
A little cold weather holding up progress with MC. Looks like next week we will get some better weather.

Monroe

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 pm
Stay warm!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:53 pm
Well snow on the ground yesterday and it's now 70 degrees today! So I did get some work done today on mission control. Tomorrows weather should be 80 degrees! So perhaps tomorrow we can really get something done. My water pipes froze last night and I could not make coffee so nothing got done until late in the day but it was nice out after noon. Post some more progress photos tomorrow.

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:24 pm
We had a great meeting last night with Michael and got a fist full of good ideas. Weather should be good to make progress on MC tomorrow. I'll post more photo's on the FB page. We are now a little behind schedule with mission control but I believe we can catch up pretty fast with good weather.

More work to be done on the website in February. Looking to get back on the X-11 by mid month.

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 pm
We just started a new forum to discuss details about amateur space exploration. If you interested in hardware and software details or wish to discuss and learn or share your knowledge your welcome to register.

Our forum is about hardware and software specifically not at all like the Space Fellowship. We love the Space Fellowship! This forum is for detailed discussions and exchange of information.

http://teamprometheus.org/forum

More progress with mission control!

Monroe

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:28 am
I noticed we need to develop some sort of autonomous organization. Since we are using the family model right now; where siblings all respond to the parent nodes.

But I think we should try dungeons and dragons model. Where we can get small teams to do stuff autonomously for the guild/horde/alliance; you name it.

For example with the new forum it may be a hassle to do everything by yourself. So perhaps we should develop a way for the non-engineers to coordinate tasks with the engineers. We are not totally dense ya know.

The idea is not worry about money right this moment and focus on building capacity. Capacity is the ability to function without need of incentives.

I bring this up not to troll anybody or put more words than action. But in early stages its all about making a quest out of things. Tell me what you think. People usually do nothing if they feel there is no approval. So its good to make it possible to do something without being in a Skinner experiment. OPerants (secondary reinforcement like money) is only a tool made up in Porter value chains (For example).

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm
Well so far I think it's been more of a racecar game! lol Yeah let's do it D&D Style.

Monroe

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:01 pm
Do you like to discover? Go from a beginning in buoyancy to advanced electronics from the world of Team Prometheus. There are many great experiments you will learn on your journey with the team. Find friends and work together on discovering how far you can go. Modernize your self and discover how much you can really do! The journey into space is only one achievement!
We begin with simple and fun topics like High altitude Balloons and Amateur Rockets. And we will continue to a few advanced topics: UAVs, guided recovery, telemetry, avionics, and Mission Control. Some of the final topics to study include Space places and High Altitude gliders, and reaction control systems. Hardware and software simulations play a critical role in the ability to develop skills at a low cost. The ability to learn electronics and programming can be greatly helpful in any job or business. Team Prometheus modernizes the ability of a team to function in the modern economy.
Our goal is to make real space exploration affordable. We want to show you how space studies can be done in a way that everyone can enjoy! The learning and discovery process is critical to the knowledge based economy. We offer a real door to explore a milieu of STEM related fields. Whether you are already familiar with these topics or not; the community and network we grow together will play a great role when the space economy starts. Many projects with new and astounding concepts are waiting to move forward!

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus   Posted on: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:55 am
I've got several projects that use SDR. For the April mission we can use the weather images we will obtain directly from the NOAA satellites and we can use the SDR for ADS-B tracking so we know where all the aircraft with transponders are so we can avoid getting near any of them.

These cheap TV DVB-T 20 buck usb sticks make great SDR radios.

One other use is for passive radar. I've been looking into that for a while sure would like some help making a useful passive radar.

Another thing lot's of people dont realize is the GPS satellites are not always in good position for your launch window. You can use some free software from Trimble to check your GPS sat configuration during your flight window.

All these things go into mission control and are part of the process during countdown and are checked reviewed and checked off by procedure.

We still need controllers! (this might be you!) as we can have controllers report in from anywhere looking at their own console over the internet. Everyone working at mission control dosen't have to be in any particular location. The just need access and be on TeamSpeak to report in during missions or simulations.

Monroe

PS You also need to be running X-Plane to observe the mission live if you want that. So you need a fairly good computer and internet connection.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next