Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > I can use some help [and everyone can help]

I can use some help [and everyone can help]

Posted by: Sigurd - Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:17 pm
 [ 39 posts ] 
I can use some help [and everyone can help] 
Subterranean
Post X PRIZE NEWS site design contest   Posted on: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:55 pm
the first entry has been received in the X PRIZE NEWS site design contest.

rules to be announced as we think them up

Last edited by desertbadger on Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: I can use some help [and everyone can help]   Posted on: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:37 pm
desertbadger wrote:
Okay, in the interest of getting the new news site online, I am sponsoring the design contest. Anybody who wants to enter should check out http://www.alexking.org/index.php?conte ... styles.php for basic WordPress templates. The contest ends July 31 and the winner will receive an X-Prize t-shirt signed by the X-Prize News staff.

how are we going to get the t-shirt to where everyone can sign it? just of our current reporters, we have sigurd in belgium, me in virginia, and spacecowboy in florida (i haven't talked to the other guy in ages, he should be removed).

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:49 pm
The plan is to ship the shirt around for signatures before it's presented to the winner.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:03 pm
that's what i figured, still a pain though, :lol:. oh well, a good design is more than worth the cost and hassle of doing it.

Software Developer

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: I can use some help [and everyone can help]   Posted on: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:27 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
how are we going to get the t-shirt to where everyone can sign it? just of our current reporters, we have sigurd in belgium, me in virginia, and spacecowboy in florida (i haven't talked to the other guy in ages, he should be removed).

Well, I did kind of drop off the face of the internet there for a while... And it's not my bloody fault you're always "away" on AIM. :roll: :P :lol: To be honest, after school got out and the SSO launch went off without a hitch, my internet use slowed a bit. Okay, a lot. And since I'd lost track of enough of the threads, I kinda gave up on trying to read everything (ah, the good old days when one could read the entire week's new posts in a half-hour). But now I'm back (for good, hopefully), with my old Bushnell refractor telescope newly cleaned and my Carl Sagan book in hand, ready to start my Physics class this August 16 (I'm taking 15 credits this fall -- including Cal III and Physics I w/Cal. At a Community College. And I'm only 17. So either I'll commit academic suicide or I'll be God's right-hand-man.). Oh, and my 7-minute X-Prize speech, newly updated to reflect the June 21 flight that I'll be giving in two weeks (Oh yeah, I'm gonna kick butt). The biggest reason I never really posted anything on the blog is because there's not too any real news sources that I know that y'all don't already. But what with Sigurd focusing more on the game, I might actually be able to help.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:07 pm
Quote:
Oh, and my 7-minute X-Prize speech, newly updated to reflect the June 21 flight that I'll be giving in two weeks (Oh yeah, I'm gonna kick butt).

Just curious, who are you giving this speech to? Students at your college? It's always great to see people spreading the X PRIZE message (ideology?). I did my part today: I wore my X PRIZE shirt to work.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:07 am
The Legionnaire wrote:
Just curious, who are you giving this speech to? Students at your college? It's always great to see people spreading the X PRIZE message (ideology?). I did my part today: I wore my X PRIZE shirt to work.

And it's always great to talk to curious people. :D

The speech will be given to the 2004 State 4-H Congress (Mechanical & Electrical Category). Hey, don't knock 4-H too hard -- by God, I've never had an animal bigger than a dog in my life (although I could hold my own against a cow if I absolutely had to -- albeit preferably with a 12-ga pump). The State competition isn't really a big deal (there's probably going to be less than 20 people in the room). However, if I win there (which I feel I've got a fair chance of), I get to go on to the National 4-H Technology & Engineering competition, which is held up at Purdue University in Indiana. Which just might be a fairly big deal, depending on how it's run.

Three Cheers for Free Trips! (I only wish I'd managed to pull one off to Mojave for the launch...)

Ooh! Ooh! An X-Prize shirt! I want one of those! Although I'm going to have to get the Scaled Composites hat first. God, how I'd love to work for Burt Rutan.... Tier 2, here we come!

In Memoriam...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: I can use some help [and everyone can help]   Posted on: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:27 pm
spacecowboy wrote:
Well, I did kind of drop off the face of the internet there for a while... And it's not my bloody fault you're always "away" on AIM. :roll: :P :lol: To be honest, after school got out and the SSO launch went off without a hitch, my internet use slowed a bit. Okay, a lot. And since I'd lost track of enough of the threads, I kinda gave up on trying to read everything (ah, the good old days when one could read the entire week's new posts in a half-hour). But now I'm back (for good, hopefully), with my old Bushnell refractor telescope newly cleaned and my Carl Sagan book in hand, ready to start my Physics class this August 16 (I'm taking 15 credits this fall -- including Cal III and Physics I w/Cal. At a Community College. And I'm only 17. So either I'll commit academic suicide or I'll be God's right-hand-man.). Oh, and my 7-minute X-Prize speech, newly updated to reflect the June 21 flight that I'll be giving in two weeks (Oh yeah, I'm gonna kick butt). The biggest reason I never really posted anything on the blog is because there's not too any real news sources that I know that y'all don't already. But what with Sigurd focusing more on the game, I might actually be able to help.

lol, i was talking about the eric dude who posted some, then hasn't done anything since, but if you want to consider yourself chastised, you can.

i must say, you have me topped by alot on academic schedule for the fall, something not a whole lot of people can say. i'm doing 3 ap classes, 5 honors classes at my high school, then second semester CS and macro economics at the local university (16 years old here). not killer, but i'll make up for it next year. 15 credits is insane, though i suppose the fact that it's a community college means it's not suicidal. btw, from some of your older posts, i thought you were already in college.[/quote]

Software Developer

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:06 am
The Lead artist of GabitaSoft Entertainment 8) is joining the ANSARI X PRIZE Space Race News website design competition :lol:

Matt is my brother, and toghetter with him and my oldest brother, we own GabitaSoft Entertainment, maybe some other artist over here will support him ;).
I'm sure he'll make a professional design :)

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: I can use some help [and everyone can help]   Posted on: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:41 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
lol, i was talking about the eric dude who posted some, then hasn't done anything since, but if you want to consider yourself chastised, you can.

Oh, uh.... Okay... :oops: Heh. Yeah, now I feel really dumb.

TerraMrs wrote:
i must say, you have me topped by alot on academic schedule for the fall, something not a whole lot of people can say. i'm doing 3 ap classes, 5 honors classes at my high school, then second semester CS and macro economics at the local university (16 years old here). not killer, but i'll make up for it next year. 15 credits is insane, though i suppose the fact that it's a community college means it's not suicidal. btw, from some of your older posts, i thought you were already in college.

3 AP and 5 Honors classes ain't easy, man. Keep up the good work.

And Physics I and Cal III is still gonna whip me if I'm not careful. Remember: this ain't high-school Physics and Cal. This is the real stuff. Fluid dynamics. Orbital Mechanics. Electromagnetism. It's just the basics, but it comes fast and hard. And these are university-level transfer courses, so I kinda am already in college. I'll admit, I'm a bit scared of this next semester, but if nothing else, it's gonna be awesome.

Sigurd: isn't that nepotism? Yeah, we can see who's gonna win this competition...... :wink: :D

In Memoriam...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:08 pm
for some reason i doubt anyone here can beat a professional-level game artist for design (doesn't get much higher than that), regardless of whether or not there are any nepotism considerations.

Software Developer

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:19 pm
Humm nepotism ? :lol:

No, I'm just doing everything in my power to get the best webdesign I can get.
I'll set up a public vote to chose the best design, so there won't be any nepotism ;)

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:34 pm
Granted on both counts. Just figured that it's better for me to bring it up jokingly (and give you a chance to disprove the claim) than for somebody else to make a serious accusation.

By the way, Sigurd, I just noticed your quote from Lord Kelvin (tho' it's likely been there for a while). Good choice.

In Memoriam...

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:34 pm
:cry: the new website was almost ready to get online... I even showed it to Robin last night... and now.. I uploaded the wrong file.. (index.php instead of teams.php).. and my main page is gone... (changed it manually with code online).. so I have to re change it all... :cry:
So it will be a few hours extra waiting before http://www.xprizenews.org will be online :(
I really need more sleep.. but don't worry, I will get that site online before I'm gonne sleep again ;)

Profile WWW
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:47 pm
New website is open to everyone :D

Check out: http://www.xprizenews.org

The design contest is still open, if someone creates a better design before the end of july, then we'll change it ;)

Profile WWW