Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > How to increase attractiveness of private space flights?

How to increase attractiveness of private space flights?

Posted by: Ekkehard Augustin - Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:57 am
 [ 9 posts ] 
How to increase attractiveness of private space flights? 
Post How to increase attractiveness of private space flights?   Posted on: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:57 am
Are low prices between 10,000 and 100,000 dollars sufficient to win the people that could pay these prices and that are intrested in space travels?

If someone is rich enough but not a millionaire, if he is very busy and has only one day without interrupts left to get to a launch site and to return to his business, if he is living in South Africa but all launch sites are far away in America - if all these conditions are met, then this customer wouldn't pay the price and wouldn't be won I suppose.

What ideas do you have to win such customers?

I have ideas and one is to be read in another part of this message board, but the success of private space flights requires much more ideas.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:56 pm
I'd been thinking about this question for days now, and I think I came up with something.
Therapy.
Floating weightlessly in total silence, in a vessel that you could easily make absolutely dark has all of the components of a very attractive Sensory Deprivation Chamber. Integrate a soothing, comfortable environment into the design specifically for theraputic purposes, and you will never run out of people who wish to travel up there, if only to have a nice place to 'chill out' to.
In addition, those who would use such a service for real therapy might even find themselves in a nice position, years down the line, of charging it to thier health insurance.

I believe that such a venture would work astoundingly well. I know of more people than I can count who would pay for this, and more than a few who could afford to, regardless of price.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:30 pm
soothing jungle sounds? or waves?

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:59 pm
Might I note that the moderately wealthy who can drop $100k (US) into something that gives them nothing more than personal satisfaction are also wealthy enough to make the travel arrangements from S.A. to the American Southwest. Such scenarios as you established, Ekkehard Augustin, are possible but unlikely. Also, note that the truly wealthy will be more than happy to purchase their own spacecraft for their personal use -- far sexier than a Cessna.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107

Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:00 am
Hello, spacecowboy,

concerning the point of wealth your'e right.

May point was time. If someone is moderately wealthy or very wealthy this fact doesn't mean that he will accept the requirement or has time to travel from S. A. to the American Southwest for a suborbital flight - he might be used to be lazy or he might have to spend much time for business or for administration of his wealth. He might have a strong wish to make an orbital flight but missing the opportunity to do that in S. A.

To reduce the requirement of a travel to the American Southwest might increase the number of interested people really buying a ticket for a suborbital flight. Under this view it's very good and worthy that for the XPRIZE each team is allowed to launch its spacecraft at home.

But there may be more that can be done. I'm thinking about Electrolyte's answer - that's more than personal satisfaction.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:13 pm
I think this may very quickly become accademic. The very very next step will be to take a suborbital flight and arrive somewhere else. So the guy in South Africa will just go to the airport and take his suborbital flight. His choice will then be "where to".

Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.

Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:45 pm
Agreed - it may quickly become accademic. But better lets say it may quickly LOOK LIKE something academic.

In my job and in between in general too there is the principle "Think big - start small!". XPRIZE is "start small". XPRIZE CUP will be "start small" too. But one day in the nearby future private space travels have to be able to evolve further without any prizes like aviation is able to today - that is "Think big".

There are many rich people saying "Yes" if asked wether they would buy a ticket for a suborbital flight - but often people behave really different compared to whatthey said before. What if only one percent of the people now saying "Yes" really will buy a ticket? It's better now to have in mind the question how to make 90% buy a ticket. Some well structured market research seems to be required to make out potential reasons that might rich people prevent from buying a ticket. Based on such market research it will be possible to remove this reasons.

For example The da Vinci Project, ILAT and the those both teams launching from sea are very flexible to change place These teams may increase the number of tickets sold because they can move to the rich guy in South Africa. Scaled Composites seems to be bound to Amercan Southwest.

This is "Think big" too. This message board is a pool collecting ideas how the things might go on after the XPRIZE is won and until the XPRIZE CUP will take place.

What ideas or thoughts ever someone has - please make it public.

Dipl.-Volkswirt (bdvb) Augustin (Political Economist)[/quote]

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:59 pm
Quote:
Scaled Composites seems to be bound to Amercan Southwest.

Why? I assume the White Knight uses normal jet fuel. And the Hybrid engine of SS1 is supposed to be fairly easy to travel and store (compared to most rocket fuels). So I would think that Scaled Composites is a better position later for setting up operation in other countries then most.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:01 pm
Pendragon wrote:
Quote:
Scaled Composites seems to be bound to Amercan Southwest.

Why? I assume the White Knight uses normal jet fuel. And the Hybrid engine of SS1 is supposed to be fairly easy to travel and store (compared to most rocket fuels). So I would think that Scaled Composites is a better position later for setting up operation in other countries then most.

Well, Scaled itself is going to stay in Mojave -- that's where the best research opportunities are. No sense in moving to a less ideal location. As for the WK/SSO combination, it'll never be mass-produced because Rutan doesn't want it to be. He's apparently going to start work on a marketable variant, carrying five or six passengers (if not more), that will spend more time in 0g. SSO is just the demonstration model. The real stuff's coming in the next couple years.

Of course, if somebody could convince Rutan to license WK/SSO out to a manufacturer, then it'd be easily transportable to wherever you wanted -- all you need's an airstrip and the local government's approval.

In Memoriam...
Apollo I - Soyuz I - Soyuz XI - STS-51L - STS-107