Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Artificial Gravity

Artificial Gravity

Posted by: bzguy - Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:30 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Artificial Gravity 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Artificial Gravity   Posted on: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:30 pm
I am new, could not find anything on search regarding this?
I have been following the planning of manned flights to Mars etc. for decades.
Major problem these days is funding, hence practical and economical solutions are critical.
I have listened to all the problems associated with zero gravity and effects on everything from toilets to bone loss.
I am no doubt not the first to think of this, but do not see it discussed anywhere?
I have seen all kinds of contraptions like small centrifuges inside space vehicles for daily space gravity exercising that cause motion sickness and are only for an hour or two at a time to gigantic Star-Trek-like spinning wheels or tumbling cylinders.
What about this?..........
A flat bottom enclosed "frisbee" (Ironically flying saucer shaped) vehicle with attachment points on at least 3 sides, like one of the platforms of the scales of justice.
This is attached perpendicularly to a counterweight with a cable of sufficient length so that when the two can rotate around a common center of gravity somewhere along the cable in a large (hence slow rotation) enough radius to overcome motion sickness.
This provides a flat walkable 1G living area.
People could enjoy 1G gravity all the way to Mars and indefinitely beyond.
It costs a million a pound to get something into orbit.
Why not send up one shuttle like vehicle and collect enough obsolete and potentially dangerous space junk for the counterweight instead of trying to launch it off the Earth again?
Instrumentation, cameras, etc. could be gimballed and placed on the cable at the center of rotation, with the ability to move up or down the cable to fine tune any balance discrepancies.
I could go on with details, been dreaming this for years.
Has anyone seen or heard of this type of space travel system design? :)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Artificial Gravity   Posted on: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:38 am
Yes.

Sorry but your idea is not new. It's been described in science fiction since the 50's.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Artificial Gravity   Posted on: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:29 am
It really does seem like the simplest solution, but so far space-based tether systems have been a bit hit and miss. We definitely need some more technology development in that area before we can get it to work reliably.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Artificial Gravity   Posted on: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:09 am
If we could get enough thrust from a large array of ion thrusters (preferably using inter-stellar medium as propellant) to accelerate the craft at 9.8 m/s^2, we'd accomplish two things:

1) Generate artificial gravity directed in the opposite direction of travel (first half of the trip),
and
2) Reach the speed of light in about (299,792,458 m/s) / (9.8 m/s^2) = 30,591,067 seconds = 354 days.

Unlikely scenario according to the current theory of everything, but quite a fun thought!