Community > Forum > Official N-Prize Forum > Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?

Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?

Posted by: Ben - Fri May 04, 2012 7:15 pm
 [ 148 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

No prizes will be won. 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Yes, at least one prize will be won. 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 pm
Hey Monroe,

Good and bad news - the good news (which you probably know anyway, but I wasn't sure about your references to the legal process) is that legal costs do NOT count toward budget. I appreciate that those costs are potentially huge, but at least they don't count under budget.

Bad news is that a "donated MIG flight" would probably fall foul of the rules. On the other hand, if you have the kind of friends who can donate MIG flights, sign me up for one!

(Of course, I don't know if you were referring to N-Prize budget costs, or just the sheer cost of getting things off the ground, so my comments only apply to N-Prize budget reckoning.)

Best,
Paul

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 pm
If the MIG guy will provide free flights to anyone that asks, then Monroe wouldn't have to count that toward his costs, right?

I can't wait to see Monroe strap that Q-motor to a MIG. It should be quite exciting to say the least. :)

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:05 pm
:-) True, but I reserve the right to consider this in more detail when sober(er).

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:19 pm
I am sure it can be arranged that anyone that can prove they have a viable rocket can get a free flight. If we get that far it could be announced. But like I said get that close there has to be a way within the spirit of the N-Prize to make it work. I just got an 80 Quart mixer and 2 barrels of AP and HTPB on the way. That "Q" is going to get propellant I've decided that much.

Paul I think he might give you a ride to see the rocket off but I don't think the insurance would cover it.

You can bet we wont make our first attempts at orbit N-Prize attempts.

Yeah, the legal deal is you wont be getting a waiver to orbit lol! Minimum is going to be an experimental launch permit.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/hea ... cation.pdf

Take a look at that and that's SUBORBITAL this is commercial but from what I've been working on this is not nearly the end of a orbital attempt. So good luck figuring that out for yourself.

Orbital is a whole different ballgame and whoever gets there first will be treading on new ground with the FAA alone. Better have some suborbital missions already under your belt.

Monroe

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:34 pm
Hmmm. If it were me, I'd probably ask myself the question "So, what are they going to do, make me bring it back down?" But, on the other hand, if it were me, I probably wouldn't follow me as an example. And if I did follow me as an example, I'd probably be visiting me in jail.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:13 am
Paul H. Dear wrote:
Hmmm. If it were me, I'd probably ask myself the question "So, what are they going to do, make me bring it back down?" But, on the other hand, if it were me, I probably wouldn't follow me as an example. And if I did follow me as an example, I'd probably be visiting me in jail.

When i looked into the legal details a few years ago in the UK it costs £20,000 to register for a launch and if you could prove it was for educational purposes you could get a waiver from the home secretary. Also we could probably get away with it if we launched in international waters tho this is not the case for US citizens as their law on this subject this covers their own citizens no matter where they are in the world. In either case i suspect that it would be a good idea to let be known to a range of authority's even if it is only on the day so you don't actually cause a defcon one event.

Does anyone have an email address for the guys on Ascension island that track what is up in orbit :?: :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 am
Lol yeah we are space pirates and I already told John Carmack we are going to fly the jolly roger on all our stuff back about the Carmack micro challenge and we still are doing that. But any thoughts of pirate launches left a long time ago when I got a notice from the FAA about that launch off the coast of California. I'd never have thought we would have to answer "no we didn't do it" but we did.
They know us now but back then I guess they weren't sure. That sounds interesting about the UK launch $20000 euros sounds cheap indeed but you still have the UN to deal with for an orbital launch no matter where you are. Unless there are countries not in the UN? Might be!

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:16 am
Monroe wrote:
Lol yeah we are space pirates and I already told John Carmack we are going to fly the jolly roger on all our stuff back about the Carmack micro challenge and we still are doing that. But any thoughts of pirate launches left a long time ago when I got a notice from the FAA about that launch off the coast of California. I'd never have thought we would have to answer "no we didn't do it" but we did.

Not that i am a suspicious b@st*rd but when i saw that vid first i did think of you :wink: :twisted:

Monroe wrote:
They know us now but back then I guess they weren't sure. That sounds interesting about the UK launch $20000 euros sounds cheap indeed but you still have the UN to deal with for an orbital launch no matter where you are. Unless there are countries not in the UN? Might be!

Monroe

As i think Paul will assure you we have not been totally Borged by the EU and we are still using £UK Pounds sterling and despite our troubled financial times we have still not dropped down to parity with either the Euro or the Dollar so £20K is still not something to be sneezed at but IIRC that sum for the paper work was mostly for informing other space faring nations of intended orbit etc. The UN treaties IIRC i think mostly cover no weapons in space and no ownership by countries of planets and/or asteroids. There are quite a few countries not in the UN and also some who are who have not signed all the treaties. One of the other possible plans was to launch from a micronation like Sealand as it could be said to be in international waters and also not subject to UN laws unless it was recognised as being a nation which it would like in which case it would still be ok as laws are not traditionally retroactive and the UN would i presume like all space faring nations to be in the tent peeing out so to speak.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 am
Alex that's funny way back I looked into doing a launch offshore but to make any difference I'd have to give up my US citizenship to get out from under the FAA. Funny how many iterations I went threw before I came full circle. It was quite painful to be honest.

I didn't realize a lot in the beginning I didn't really know much about rocket science but I did have the right plan to figure out an infrastructure first. If you lay that down good first you can do a lot more if space is really your thing.

The N-Prize really has changed my life that's for sure. I do actually enjoy my life a lot better. Things keep happening every time I think I might give up something changes and makes me keep going. Just keep going guy's that's all I can say. Today might be the day something good just happens! It's so nuts getting good things from out of the blue and moving forward when you just thought the other day everyone was right and you cant do it.

Monroe

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 pm
Most things that are said to be impossible are really just quite hard until somebody does them and then everybody thinks it was obvious with 20/20 hindsight. For the really impossible you just have to work out which fundamental universal constants you need to tweak and hope it does not break the Universe :wink: :twisted:

PS for any other UK teams i made a mistake earlier in my recall its not the Home secretary you need to get permission from it is Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills and President of the Board of Trade. The post holder is currently The Rt Hon Dr Vince Cable MP search for 1986 outer space act for further info.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:06 pm
I'll second that!

And thanks for the update. I seem to remember not so long ago we had a Minister for Outer Space, which sounds very British!

Cheers,
Paul

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:08 pm
Paul H. Dear wrote:
I'll second that!

And thanks for the update. I seem to remember not so long ago we had a Minister for Outer Space, which sounds very British!

Cheers,
Paul

There do seem to be a few changes now that we have our own UK Space agency just also spotted that the fee is now only £6500 which is good news but they have now defined the insurance you have to have as 60 Million Euros where as before when i read up on this a few years ago i don't think the amount was defined other than you had to have third party insurance.

http://www.bis.gov.uk/ukspaceagency/wha ... e-act-1986

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:45 am
Well one of the Teams we worked with got a ride to orbit! Ardusat is Scheduled to launch: August 4 (Sunday), 2013 (Japan Standard Time, JST) Watch LIVE! http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ - coverage begins at 12PM PST.

Monroe

I believe this is Saturday in the US

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 pm
We just won the collaboration prize! In the DIYROCKET competition for a 3D Printed rocket engine design with Team Sol-X (Solar System Express) :)

http://www.openspaceuniversity.org/#!ro ... enge/c22xk
http://www.solarsystemexpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Pro ... 3171526223

Monroe

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Will the prize be won by the end of 2014?   Posted on: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:50 pm
Hey Monroe,

Congratulations to you and to Sol-X! Tell us some more about the design...

Profile WWW
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Moderator: Paul H. Dear