Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Least-regulated state for space companies?

Least-regulated state for space companies?

Posted by: DadaOrwell - Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:43 pm
 [ 14 posts ] 
Least-regulated state for space companies? 
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Least-regulated state for space companies?   Posted on: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:43 pm
Does anyone have a sense as to which state is the best place to operate or headquarter "space companies?"

My movement, the Free State Project, would love to recruit a couple to New Hampshire, based on the state's low-tax, loose regulatory environment. But I don't know how it stacks up on "space regulation." Certainly it is one of the few places in the country where regulation is likely to decline rather than increase, thanks to the influx of tax haters and anti-regulationists.

Meantime, best wishes and thanks to you all for what you are doing.

www.FreeStateProject.org

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:13 pm
What makes you think people will automatically base themselves in America. If you want a state with no tax and no regulations, there are plenty (Somalia?) if you can afford to defend yourself and your assets! Compared to some, even New Hampshire is a heavily regulated environment, but probably in a good way!

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:01 am
Wow a space program based out of Somalia that actually sounds like an interesting idea... Imagine no NASA to ban you from exporting your boosters to the launch site....

I guess you'd have to carve out a pretty big perimeter around the program site though to avoid a threat from SAMs.

www.FreeStateProject.org

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:29 am
Might be good for their economy and technological development too. Anyway, who wants NASA sticking their noses in where it's not wanted? It's the space equivelent to the old British Rail! :P

Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:22 pm
A space program based out of Somalia of course would have to defend itself from extremist anti-modernity muslim terrorists. And please don't confuse them with peace loving muslims.

Just a thought, where is the Ghandi or Martin Luther King of the Muslim faith?

Back to the subject, Texas has no state income tax and fewer regulations than most states. There are 3 XPRIZE teams, including Armadillo, based in Texas. Y'all come down y'hear! :lol:

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:45 am
traveler wrote:
Just a thought, where is the Ghandi or Martin Luther King of the Muslim faith?

Back to the subject, Texas has no state income tax and fewer regulations than most states. There are 3 XPRIZE teams, including Armadillo, based in Texas. Y'all come down y'hear! :lol:

I believe that Ghandi attempted to put peace over any of his own religious beliefs and that the split between India and Pakistan that he tried to prevent may have been what he felt to be his greatest failure. Somehow I think if a modern day counterpart to Ghandi or King showed up that person would very quickly share their fate.

As far as best state in the U.S. I think once the Oklahoma Spaceport gets all of it's paperwork in order that will be the place to go.

Subterranean
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:15 pm
TJ wrote:

As far as best state in the U.S. I think once the Oklahoma Spaceport gets all of it's paperwork in order that will be the place to go.

You have to be joking.

Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:00 pm
TJ wrote:

You are right on, if fact Armadillo, based near Dallas, Texas is using Oklahoma for some of its test flights. The Oklahoma Spaceport is only a few hours drive or about one hour flight from Dallas. :lol:

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:06 pm
I don't know about the regulations but is there any other states that are even attempting to start up a spaceport? The X-Prize cup in NM is fine but I've gotten the distinct impression that Oklahoma is ahead of NM as far as getting an operational spaceport going. White Sands is prohibitively expensive and Mojave only allows horizontal takeoff and landing. The only other spaceport I'm aware of is Kennedy Space Center in FL and I think that would probably be the worst as far as paperwork goes.

I'm sure that there are plenty of states that have a much more lenient outlook on this but once someone gets serious about launching things I'm sure that even someplace like New Hampshire would roll out the red tape.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:00 am
TJ wrote:
Mojave only allows horizontal takeoff and landing.

How much concrete/cement would one have to pour in order to make Mojave suitable for (experimental or commercial) VTOL/VTHL?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:02 pm
Setting up launch/landing pads is most likely the easiest thing for them to do. The paperwork and bureaucracy would be the killer. I think that the fact that Mojave is the home for WK/SS1 might actually hurt VT/VL. I can just see some paper pusher stalling/killing the minor expansion of Mojave for verticle capabilities because they're already a spaceport and there's no need for any more work.

Thinking more on this and the relatively close proximity of the OK and NM spaceports is probably a good thing since it'll provide some competition between the two. OK has to really hustle if they're to be taken seriously since the X-Prize cup is slated for NM. My favoring OK could easily be attributed to the fact that I've simply read more about the OK spaceport than than the NM spaceport.

At this point though I would guess that the biggest hurdle any place has to overcome to setup a spaceport is all of the Federal level work. I'm sure that someplace like New Hampshire may have some benefits for setting up a space company but if the company is serious they will have to do test flights sooner or later, unless they intend to depend on some other company to provide launch services. Those that intend to fly would be better off near a launch facility simply for logistical reasons. This will become even more important for those who seriously intend to get to orbit. It's one thing to lug an X-Prize class vehicle around on a trailer, it's quite another to start lugging a larger and most likely staged orbital vehicle. Granted thats probably years away but it may be closer than many think.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:48 am
Could make an artificial island in the middle of international waters :)

Just pile on the old boats, oil rigs, scrap cars and cover it in concrete :D

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:46 pm
Dawa?

You actually have a good idea, unfortunately it's not a new one.

Werner Von Braun tried to interest the US Navy & Army into using
his new [new in 1953] Redstone rocket fitted with some upperstage Loki solid-rockets to launch a small satellite into Earth orbit from the deck of a navy ship from the equator in 1954.
Unfortunately, the government and Pentagon turned him down...and
the Soviets send up Sputnik first in 1957.

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:30 pm
Yes, but this time its private companies :)