Space Crazy Crowd Research

Posted by: box - Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
Space Crazy Crowd Research 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Space Crazy Crowd Research   Posted on: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 pm
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ORa ... o1A8I/edit

Just a google doc that I am trying to populate with questions.

The goal is to get as many questions as possible aimed at people interested in space.

Second stage will be to weed out the questions and edit them.

Third stage is the development of a website where people can be directed to to fill out the questions and where they can learn about the crowd /get all the data gathered/.

If you are interested, go there and put some questions on the list. Or if you are too shy, just put the questions here and I can copy paste it into the document.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Space Crazy Crowd Research   Posted on: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:15 pm
Needs a better (more serious) name.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Space Crazy Crowd Research   Posted on: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:24 pm
JamesG wrote:
Needs a better (more serious) name.

True.

Any suggestion?

Does "Space Crowd Research" sound better?

Or "Space Crowd Study" ?

Or "Space Crowd Survey"?

I have no idea what to call it at this stage.

I am more interested in what questions to ask atm, than what to call the project. Although I guess if I want others to take it seriously and contribute I would need a better name.

Do you have a title suggestion?

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Space Crazy Crowd Research   Posted on: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:41 am
"Collaborative Space Survey"?
Or
"Open Space Interest Survey"?
Or
Something very convoluted and wordy if aimed at academics. :wink:

There are quite a few survey sites around the 'net. A lot of them "free". surveymonkey.com, etc. All you have to do is punch in your questions.

Sadly, I'm willing to bet that your survey has been done over and over again, and the data is in many college papers and business plans. I'm not really sure where to find that at.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Space Crazy Crowd Research   Posted on: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:37 am
I did a search yesterday for survey sites or programs. Limesurvey seems to be the best option given that it's free and fully functional. All the other ones have all sorts of limitations because they want you to buy their product. Although I will need to setup a server to run limesurvey on myself.

But I thought to begin with, a demo survey could be done with google form and aimed at a small target audience just within my network of people I can reach through the forums I am active in.

I didn't think the idea was original. I did do a small search after reading your post and found a few surveys done by various space organisations though their topics didn't cover what I was interested in.

I can see 2 major issues. One will be practically nobody thinking that this is important and would be something quite handy for our collective success as a "space activity supporting crowd". The other issue is that I suck at following through with my dumb ideas. :)

I added your suggestions for title into the document, also if anyone else here is interested, just visit the document and can enter your own suggestions or questions.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Space Crazy Crowd Research   Posted on: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 am
I do think that it is a worth while project.

Almost all surveys that I can recall were focused more on "what do you think of space (from a cost benefit perspective)", or "would you like to go to space (as a customer, or government astronaut, etc.)" but not from the perspective of would you want to be a participant in an open collaborative space effort. I think this is mostly because up until recently it wasn't conceived as possible.

That would be worth finding out.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Space Crazy Crowd Research   Posted on: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 pm
I was thinking that I propably should combine the survey with a "infographic" type of thing that would include information about each topic I am asking the questions about.

So for instance questions about hardware or software tinkering could start with information about makrespaces or online places where people involved in such things get together.

Or the social networking part would include information or links about places like spacefellowship or moonmars etc...

I am just trying to think of how to make the survey more entertaining or useful for the person who is filling it in, so they are more likely to go all the way through if it ends up long. Also the less boring it is the more likely people will tell other people in their networks about it.
:)

Profile WWW