Community > Forum > All other competitions > SS1 flight anomalies

SS1 flight anomalies

Posted by: Dr_Keith_H - Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:58 am
 [ 22 posts ] 
SS1 flight anomalies 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:37 am
They could put in a windsheer sensor, but at the rate of acceleration, I don't know how much help that could be.

Profile YIM
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:46 pm
Scaled got some new pictures up. I note THIS ONE in particular because I think I can see the faring deformation. Unless someone thinks this is how it looks normally.

Actually the tail faring looks pretty different (I think) from its configuration for the 14P flight, compare it with THIS image.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:44 pm
hmm.... yea i can definitely see it, unless of course that's just the different camera angle that's causing it.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Fairing   Posted on: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:53 pm
TerraMrs wrote:
hmm.... yea i can definitely see it, unless of course that's just the different camera angle that's causing it.

The fairing looks different because it IS different. For one thing, on this flight they were testing a higher expansion ratio nozzle.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:27 pm
Clark Lindsey has the low-down on the flight anomalies in this week's Aviation Week issue:

The left roll that started about 7sec after ignition was due to a 60kt. wind shear.
Melvill responded with the rudder and it rolled to the right but then again to the left until finally leveling about 19secs after ignition. These "trajectory excursions" reduced the apogee by about 30k ft.
Roughly 68 secs after ignition, Melvill began to counter the effects of nozzle erosion with trim that eventually "hit the stop, tripping the thermal overload breaker." It needed 3 secs to reset before providing trim control again.
A left roll occurred over the next 15 secs, a period during which the engine shut off 76secs after ignition.
With the trim motor available again he was able to removes some of the roll and "exit the atmosphere in relative stability."
Avoiding the trim limits and the 3 sec dead time on future flights is a priority for the engineers.
The hurricane-like sound during the Mach 2.9 reentry was the most frightening segment of the flight for Melvill.
A glide ratio of 7:1 allowed Melvill easily to reach the desired runway despite the fact that the accumulated anomalies knocked him off the target box by 26 miles.
The fairing under the nozzle that buckled most likely suffered from heat radiated from the engine. The buckling probably produced the loud bang that Melvill heard.

Post    Posted on: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:33 am
Watching the video on Scaled's site, you can see the roll(s) starting at about the 15 sec point of the video.

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:13 pm
According to this articleall the anomalies are now fixed:

"That's a complete, entire yes," Rutan said when asked whether his Scaled Composites team had gotten to the bottom of a trim-control problem experienced during SpaceShipOne's voyage to an altitude of 100 kilometers on June 21.