Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside

Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside

Posted by: Lourens - Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:55 am
 [ 22 posts ] 
Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 am
Dave is definitely headed in the right direction :-). Let me add that some of you may have seen this place before, although perhaps not in person.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:38 pm
Is it a JP Aerospace balloon?

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm
Is it maybe a JP Aerospace balloon?

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 pm
It definitely reminds me of the JP Aerospace V-shaped balloons.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:54 pm
No takers? Ok, here's another hint. According to the urban dictionary, the "brilliant, great, fantastic" used by one of the observers to describe the mysterious noises translates to the British slang term "rip snorter".

If no-one figures it out by Sunday, I'll post the answer.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:37 pm
i've tried posting 5 or 6 times already, now using another browser so here goes...

Could it be one of those V-shaped JP Aerospace balloons?

They would definitely "take off" if they made a ripsnort-like sound, a bit difficult to control where exactly one would be going maybe...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:27 am
Forgot all about it, so a bit later than planned, but here we go :-).

Dave was right that this is indeed a small airport. In fact, it's Caddo Mills Municipal Airport, home of, yes, Armadillo Aerospace. If you zoom in a bit more, you can see the AA launch pad at the bottom of the triangle.

The mysterious runner, "John" is John Carmack, who has recently taken up long-distance running and certainly did see the lights of the vehicles he flew at Caddo Mills, and the other witness is Neal and his rip-snorter.

Other than that "Project Ato" is of course a reference to JP Aerospace's Airship-To-Orbit, which was indeed funded by the Air Force a long time ago, and AA have also done US Air Force contract work. Goodfellow Air Force Base is also real, including the cryptology unit.

The reporter's vacation in Egypt is a reference to the practice of extraordinary rendition.

See you next year :-).