Asteroid Mining Startups

Posted by: box - Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:48 am
 [ 44 posts ] 
Asteroid Mining Startups 
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:58 pm
FOP-leechy wrote:
I hope that they all succeed as we are going to need a few companies to rally behind and get the private space economy racing. The 3D printing developers should get the tech ready for space because that is where I would put them to good use. I can see printed habitats being all the rage for our grandkids. :)

I hope they all succeed as well (or at least a lot of them), our future as a spacefaring people depends on commercial development of space. Of course public funding has a place and I'd like to see a few bazillion more dollars go to space exploration (if we're spending the money anyway, we might as well be building bridges to somewhere). But in the long run, it will be the entrepreneurs who secure our place in space.

A related thought: From 1958 to 2011 NASA spent about $790* billion dollars (adjusted for inflation). It sounds like a lot, but when you spread that expense over half a century it quickly becomes pocket lint compared to the rest of the budget. I'm not advocating the centrally directed model - capitalism works much better in the long run - but if the people can be convinced to invest more of our public dollars... I'm all for it.

Now, how NASA spends the money is a completely different issue.

*Wikipedia

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 pm
Any tips for getting into this new growth industry? It seems to me that, barring having a fortune to invest, the Ares Technology Corporation route is the best one to take.

It's also recently occurred to me that Ceres might have impactors that can be mined. With an escape velocity of only 500m/s, and it's location in the asteroid belt, it might have many intact metal asteroids on it's surface. With everything else that's needed for life, except maybe a decent gravity level, we could actually settle the place (which is, after all, the main aim of the company).

I'm thinking Cererean Corporation as the name, perhaps?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:32 am
Terraformer wrote:
Any tips for getting into this new growth industry? It seems to me that, barring having a fortune to invest, the Ares Technology Corporation route is the best one to take.

It's also recently occurred to me that Ceres might have impactors that can be mined. With an escape velocity of only 500m/s, and it's location in the asteroid belt, it might have many intact metal asteroids on it's surface. With everything else that's needed for life, except maybe a decent gravity level, we could actually settle the place (which is, after all, the main aim of the company).

I'm thinking Cererean Corporation as the name, perhaps?

Can't wait for Dawn to have a look. :)

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm
Yes, I just checked - Dawn can be used to detect masscons, so we should be able to find out if there are any big chunks of metal buried under the surface. Though I'd still like to send a probe swarm to check that out further. Nothing big, a few ~10kg probes and a bigger one to relay their data back as well as providing propulsion, which can do more indepth mapping. Maybe even land it on the surface at the end of the main mission, since the fuel requirements won't be great. Hopefully the entire mission could be mounted for under a million pounds. By the time I have the money, I'll possibly be able to buy the probes off Planetary Resources.

But first I need to learn how to build websites, since it's a viable non-space business with low start up costs. I need to do more research, but I think I might be bring the price down further and minimise the workload...

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:04 pm
Terraformer wrote:
Yes, I just checked - Dawn can be used to detect masscons, so we should be able to find out if there are any big chunks of metal buried under the surface. Though I'd still like to send a probe swarm to check that out further. Nothing big, a few ~10kg probes and a bigger one to relay their data back as well as providing propulsion, which can do more indepth mapping. Maybe even land it on the surface at the end of the main mission, since the fuel requirements won't be great. Hopefully the entire mission could be mounted for under a million pounds. By the time I have the money, I'll possibly be able to buy the probes off Planetary Resources.

But first I need to learn how to build websites, since it's a viable non-space business with low start up costs. I need to do more research, but I think I might be bring the price down further and minimise the workload...

What sort of website did you have in mind?

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:30 pm
I can help you with graphic design, and some html,

learn java ?

a game that teaches it :)

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/20 ... odespells/

my game will teach about game logic....

want to make games instead?

The "Next level" of the internet is true 3d immersion,

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:18 pm
...the previous version of which was Second Life (remember Second Life?) and the next version of which is called Google Glass. Look at app development for that maybe?

Last edited by Lourens on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:42 pm
I am working on a open source game using 3d logic nodes for inter-object communication,

my next project will be to use Blender and a Cloud set-up to allow true collaboration in blender, but I need a lot of help with coding, as I am best with logic, or "psudo-code" that makes sense and works, I just can't code it :(

in the end it will be like many small second life servers, some will "locked" in genre and some will be "blank canvas" and some will be geared to education,

Long and short of it, Blender Game Environment + HTML and or java and https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF/blob/master/specification/README.md
= new internet

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:58 pm
Lourens wrote:
...the previous version of which was Second Life (remember Second Life) and the next version of which is called Google Glass. Look at app development for that maybe?

Oh, I have a lot of ideas for augmented reality. Mainly involving coloured rings around everyone, marking them out as friendly, neutral or enemy (social networking in action!); a healthbar linked in to all the sensors monitoring my body (hmmm - actually, rigging a heartrate monitor up to augmented reality glasses, so that you can see what you're pulse is at, could actually be quite useful...); an arrow that tells you where you ought to go (useful when looking for a friend)... suddenly, all these characters I've played in videogames having a healthbar in their vision and being able to bring up maps makes a lot more sense...

We can store the computer itself on the arm. Include the tricorder into the design when it comes out. Make it ultra capable. We'll call it an Omni-tool, from the Latin word for "everything"...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 pm
You'll be paying a lot of royalties to various sci-fi franchises. :wink:

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 pm
If they let us off, we'll allow them to port their media to the device :p

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:56 am
Sigma wrote:
The "Next level" of the internet is true 3d immersion,

That actually was always its intent or how it was envisioned as it's interface defined with VRML. HTML was only seen as a way of rendering dumb text documents. But it was cheaper and easier to create and use HTML browsers (and the computers to run them), so the Internet became based on "web pages" and applications based on Windows analogs.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:10 am
Are you saying we sacrificed immersive VR so that anyone would be able to create a website, thus allowing the internet to become what it is today? If so... it was a worthwhile sacrifice, I think.

Even so, perhaps making it possible for most people to make their own VR sites will be the next internet growth industry?

Hmmm, what about the hardware side? Augmented reality glasses that plug into todays smartphones?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 pm
Actually it was so that "The Internet" would run on even low end computers, which were not all that cheap back in the early 90s.

But yeah, it turned out that it was the best choice, obviously.

Today I think we have the computing power available, even in smartphones, what is lacking is the human interface. VR glasses are only part of the solution. Still waiting on the neural implants of cyberpunk...

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Asteroid Mining Startups   Posted on: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:05 pm
JamesG wrote:
Today I think we have the computing power available, even in smartphones, what is lacking is the human interface. VR glasses are only part of the solution. Still waiting on the neural implants of cyberpunk...

Yep also still waiting tho i am prepared to wait for the hardened Linux version as BSOD could have a whole new meaning on a Mickey$oft version :wink: :twisted:

Profile WWW