Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside

Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside

Posted by: Lourens - Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:55 am
 [ 22 posts ] 
Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:55 am
Picked this up on a military aviation blog, seems interesting considering that there's at least some evidence.

Quote:
Mysterious triangle appears in Texas countryside

Somewhen in the past month a mysterious triangle seems to have appeared in the Texas countryside. It was discovered recently by a local pilot flying in the area. We obtained the above satellite image from NASA, having sent them a FOIA request after they initially refused to send us anything. It is unclear what exactly this structure in the image is. We were unable to locate anything on the ground, and our investigation has so far been inconclusive.

A local runner calling himself "John" claims to have seen lights hovering in the sky in the area where the triangle was later discovered. While extraterrestrial origins are of course highly unlikely, they cannot be ruled out completely. Others claim to have heard "brilliant, great, fantastic" engine noises "very unlike a jet engine", which may point toward military activity, possibly a secret new Air Force weapon system.

The US Air Force has declined to comment on the specific case, but stated that it has several bases in the vicinity and has "supported various activities" in the area. It should be noted that one of those bases, Goodfellow Air Force Base in San Angelo, TX, includes a cryptology and intelligence unit, opening up the possibility of some kind of covert intelligence operation.

The Air Force has recently been experimenting with airships for fast shipping and surveillance missions, and we suspect the satellite image may in fact be showing a new kind of high-altitude airship. We obtained files describing a recently-declassified US Air Force project codenamed "Ato" that showed designs similar in shape.

A reader suggested that this could be some kind of DHS surveillance project as well. With DHS jurisdiction now extending well beyond the borders and into the interior of the nation, this is not unthinkable, but any evidence so far is scarce. Our FOIA request to DHS was answered in person by a team of DHS employees who came to our offices to ensure the absence of any terrorist activity in the building as well as on our persons. Unfortunately, further investigation on the ground is currently suspended while our reporter is enjoying a well-deserved vacation in Egypt.

If you have any information, or an alternative plausible explanation, please write in the comments below.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:17 pm
You need one of these to see it correctly:

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 am
You have to try it every year, don't you Lourens? ;)

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 pm
That's my job :-). But this one's also a puzzle. What does that picture really show? Who are the anonymous witnesses?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:10 pm
Mouse cursor of the gods?

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 pm
You can see the underlying terrain beneath/behind it, and since they couldn't find it on the ground, I would say it is an "artifact" on the image.

Is this from Google Earth? Know the coordinates?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:32 pm
It looks like a vision cone approximation to try and figure out what a camera is looking at, like getting the origin of a camera point,

I have seen something like it before somewhere, I am not sure where,

another thing, if I could track a satellite, and point a "Uber-focused projector" on it's camera, what would happen? could I "Fake" a satellite image?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:33 am
Sigma wrote:
another thing, if I could track a satellite, and point a "Uber-focused projector" on it's camera, what would happen? could I "Fake" a satellite image?

Extremely unlikely. Beyond the fact that you would have to aim your upber projector precisely at that camera aperture (which is often not obvious) it would have to be perfectly aligned with it too. And then there is synchronization with whatever imager scanning rates, and so on...

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:52 pm
Note that I didn't say how hard they looked when they didn't find anything on the ground :-). In fact, the image is a cropped but otherwise unedited Google Maps screenshot. But of what?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:07 pm
"Where" is the important bit.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:12 pm
Lourens wrote:
Note that I didn't say how hard they looked when they didn't find anything on the ground :-). In fact, the image is a cropped but otherwise unedited Google Maps screenshot. But of what?

I don't know, but it bears a striking resemblance to the mystery object in this aerial photo of Mt. Rushmore. :shock:

Attachment:
trimor.jpg

NOTE: Just in case there was any doubt, I totally made that up :mrgreen: but...

Here's a "tangentially" related story: Football field length triangle UFO reported moving over Texas town

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:49 pm
Well, let me hint that the mysterious triangle is not a tornado, although it is situated on the outskirts of Tornado Alley...

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:13 pm
Lourens wrote:
Well, let me hint that the mysterious triangle is not a tornado, although it is situated on the outskirts of Tornado Alley...

So you're saying it's somewhere right around here...
Attachment:
tornaly.jpg

Can you give us a little more to work with? :mrgreen:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:07 pm
It looks like a small airstrip. Here's one in Conroe, TX that looks similar, but is clearly not the same one.
Attachment:
conroe.JPG

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Mysterious triangle in Texas countryside   Posted on: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:11 pm
Good post, DaveHein. But as I was looking at your airstrip I spotted something unusual...
Attachment:
unda.jpg

So I went to Google Maps and zoomed in...
Attachment:
sasher2.jpg

...clearly the government of Conroe, Texas is hiding something.