Community > Forum > Official JP Aerospace Forum > Hydrogen vs. Helium

Hydrogen vs. Helium

Posted by: John C. - Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:06 pm
 [ 18 posts ] 
Hydrogen vs. Helium 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Hydrogen vs. Helium   Posted on: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:51 am
Google ITAR and AECA and read some of the horror stories of what the US.gov has found in its "public interest".

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Hydrogen vs. Helium   Posted on: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:01 am
Wild Tangent Ahead...

I frequently deal with ITAR, EAR and other export regulations in my job. The US commerce control list and US munitions list have whole categories devoted to aerospace equipment and technology. Since not just the aircraft and spacecraft but their individual components are controlled, I would be very surprised - no, stunned - if JPA never had to deal with export licenses on any component of their ATO system just because they're flying airships instead of airplanes. They have to comply with US export law even if they're not even selling anything.

However, JPA also isn't the only aerospace contractor in the business, and the US law does make plenty of exceptions for business. Terraformer is right that "Off the shelf" is an important distinction in US export law. Not every technology that the US State Department and Commerce Department keep tabs on gets the same attention or degree of control. Even for controlled items, the regulations include a whole system of licenses intended to allow business traffic with friendly nations, including general licenses which are really more a system of reporting than an actual licensing process. Woe betide the poor sap who tries to sell nuclear reactor parts to Syria without so much as a by your leave; but, if they get an export license from the appropriate agencies through proper channels, then it's legal. Unless JP Aerospace is actually making weapons and spy gadgets, their biggest problems with export law will probably be preparing and keeping track of all the paperwork. (i.e., Pretty much like everybody else.)

“The next generation of engineers, astronauts and scientist are not going to appear out of thin air. They need to be inspired and educated, and the best way to do that is to get them involved.” - John M. Powell

Rocket Constructor
Rocket Constructor
Post Re: Hydrogen vs. Helium   Posted on: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:42 pm
What would the lifting power of hydrogen negative ion gas be and would/could it get around FAA rules?

Moderator: jpowell