Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Atmospheric conditions of the Jovian planets.

Atmospheric conditions of the Jovian planets.

Posted by: box - Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:47 am
 [ 19 posts ] 
Atmospheric conditions of the Jovian planets. 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Atmospheric conditions of the Jovian planets.   Posted on: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:00 pm
What landing? Something for Jupiter has to be largely "steady state", it needs to be able to float at it's altitude for the entire mission.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Atmospheric conditions of the Jovian planets.   Posted on: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:56 pm
JamesG wrote:
What landing? Something for Jupiter has to be largely "steady state", it needs to be able to float at it's altitude for the entire mission.

Did not spot someone wanted to land in that case i agree if your wanting to land on metallic Hydrogen then probably our materials tech is still at the unobtainium stage. But i think something that's the B*st*rd offspring of an Airship, Sub and glider might be possible for the middle to high Jovian atmosphere especially if you had an large array of IR sensors on the wings and a descent number crunching computer to spot where the best thermals will be.

Last edited by SANEAlex on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Atmospheric conditions of the Jovian planets.   Posted on: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:35 am
I meant deorbit, not actually landing, but some type of sacrificed probe could be dropped in on a fiber optic cable to gather data from lower down, that could be solid with no gaps for pressure issues.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Atmospheric conditions of the Jovian planets.   Posted on: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:07 pm
Hot gas ballon would be feasible - see Peter Hamiltons book "The Nnano Flower' - at least, I think that was the one.