Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Electrolaser...

Electrolaser...

Posted by: Sigma - Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:21 am
 [ 4 posts ] 
Electrolaser... 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Electrolaser...   Posted on: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:21 am
So this is kinda neat strange and scary,

http://www.army.mil/article/82262/

I wonder if any of my other ideas are feasible........

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Electrolaser...   Posted on: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:03 am
Interesting.

So once we solve the high density power storage issue, we can have our doomsday robot army with lightning guns shooting down anything that moves. :)

This is amazing though. Thousands of years ago people imagined Gods weilding lightning bolts to strike down unwanted pesky little humans or eachother.

Now not only do we use electricity to power devices and a society unimaginable for people back then, we are literally going to weild lightning just like their imagined Gods.

I wonder how far off our imaginations about the future is. Which predictions/dreams will become reality, and which ones will stay fiction forever.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Electrolaser...   Posted on: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 pm
A more practical application of this might be a taser. Lower the voltage and amps and maybe now you can hit someone multiple times at larger distances. I doubt it would shoot one hundred yards but farther than conventional tasers.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Electrolaser...   Posted on: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 pm
The "less lethal" use probably has a lot of technical details to contend with. How strong a laser you can use, will/can it be eye-safe, and what voltages are incapacitating vs. fatal, etc.

In comparison the brute force "man-made lightning bolt" is pretty straight forward. The project's primary motivation and driver is the desire for a reliable remote way to neutralize or detonate land mines and IEDs, because the current means are either sending an EOD robot or person up to it. A job that is very hard and expensive on either.