Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > UN Space Agnecy? ? ?

UN Space Agnecy? ? ?

Posted by: chris77au - Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:16 am
 [ 22 posts ] 
UN Space Agnecy? ? ? 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:41 pm
One of the things that worry me about the commertialization of space is this: Will it follow our current paradigm of corruption and secrets and back-room deals or will it be more like the commercial ideals put forth by Ayn Rand? Oh sure, her view of pure capitalism might work in a complete vacuum but would it work in space?

Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:05 pm
See, the beauty of space exploration lies in that it is a frontier. As such, the law is what you make it to be, and business practice is as simple as honoring the demands of your contract. If you've gotten funding for your asteroid mining expedition from an investor, he will get a cut of what you send back. And if you don't return on his investment, you'll end up on your own - which is fine as long as you're digging in space rocks, but which will curtail your adventures once you come back to Earth.

I don't see the boardroom politics moving off Earth until corporations do. Once they do, I suspect they will work as they have until now, except from a different place.

Profile ICQ YIM
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:58 pm
kc7rad wrote:
One of the things that worry me about the commertialization of space is this: Will it follow our current paradigm of corruption and secrets and back-room deals or will it be more like the commercial ideals put forth by Ayn Rand? Oh sure, her view of pure capitalism might work in a complete vacuum but would it work in space?

The corruption and back-room deals you speak of are those of politicians giving special treatment to their rich business buddies. And this is true whether Democrat or Republican. Ayn Rand was and is still correct.

Just listen to Burt Rutan. Also the biggest and fastest technological boom is history has been the computer industry. This was only because of an almost total lack of government regulation during its growth period of the 80's and 90's, at least in comparison to other industries.

We are benefitting today from the financial contribution from one of the computer industry's main players, Paul Allen. :lol:

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:04 pm
If you look at many of the funders of the new spaceflight enterprises like Scaled, Armadillo, Blue Origin (What exactly ARE they doing?), Da Vinci, SpaceX, you see computer/internet boom money behind it. I can't even imagine the shock that regulatory snafus must have given (And still are giving) these guys.

Profile YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:21 pm
The UN is anti free enterprise and anti property rights. It needs to stay out of space.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:41 pm
yes instead of the UN accomplishing nothing on earth, it could now accomplish nothing in the solar system.

Profile YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:02 pm
bad_astra wrote:
yes instead of the UN accomplishing nothing on earth, it could now accomplish nothing in the solar system.

lol, well I think the UN is to make sure some things don't happen.. to make some peace.. peace keeping and to keep nations discussing things with eachother... but in the end.. they are not an "organization" to "create" objects as rockets, vehicles, etc I see them as an administrative organization...

So yes.. UN is accomplishing nothing (speaking about technogical development).... but of course the UN is just actually a group of nations ;)
It's their to keep world stability, it's not a world congress about technology, or a center to centrelize all the earths power ;)

Profile WWW