Community > Forum > Perception, Barriers & Regulation of Privatized Space Travel > Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?

Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?

Posted by: Stefan Sigwarth - Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:59 pm
 [ 102 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care? 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:03 pm
To Terraformer's post--"to make it possible for private adventurers..."

That is very premature. Required large scale developments that cannot happen
before the appearance of a culture analogous to that that appeared after the
microcomputers became established.

Such a culture of space mission capable must first develop, and for financial
reasons must be of the Microlaunchers scale--tiny, cheap, frequent launch.

Starting on a big scale is a mistake, wish driven by desire to explore planets
before the means to get there is first built.

We must *first* do something like outlined in Microlaunchers.

I am now seeking people who see it this way and who will want to join in the effort--
the "oner in ten thousand" alluded to in the N Prize presentation on the site.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:18 pm
I said private adventurers. I didn't say 'moderately wealthy' private adventuers. They'd have to be rich - multi millionaires who are willing to spend a significant fraction of their wealth on taking a trip outside Earth orbit - but those people *do* exist.

Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:45 pm
The One in ten thousand may be able to take part in micro-missions, but the macro-missions are for the one in Thirty Million or so.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:50 pm
There are over 6.6 billion people in the world. 1/30,000,000 is 220.

Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:00 am
220 * 30 Mil is 6.6 Bil.

220 was a rough estimate of the number of billionaires at last count, minus the suicides from the recession.

Those are the people who can afford to go on a private mission to Mars or whatever.

Whereas 0.01% of the Earth population, may be able to afford $100K or so for a Cube sat to a Neo.

Profile ICQ YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:50 pm
Yes, people need to be personally involved in space, but that doesn't mean we should discount private space explorers going on Lunar flybys in ultralight spacecraft, or whatever. rpspeck, do you have any mission designs for a week long Lunar flyby free return mission?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:09 pm
Terraformer wrote:
Yes, people need to be personally involved in space, but that doesn't mean we should discount private space explorers going on Lunar flybys in ultralight spacecraft, or whatever. rpspeck, do you have any mission designs for a week long Lunar flyby free return mission?

Going to the moon in an ultralight - that's funny! :D

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:20 pm
Why?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:14 pm
see attached photo (gimped)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Wed May 05, 2010 7:13 pm
Once it become economically feasable to mine on the Moon and other planets/asteroids, then people's intrests will be focused on space. Until there is money involved not many will have an interest.

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:09 am
For the fact that its just the world that they're seeing everyday and seeing only a glimpse of what's above and also lacking the passion to wonder about it, well caring for space stuff might be too much for these kinds of people. The world and what they do in it is just what simply matters to them.. which is pretty much a behavior of an animal that doesnt care of what's goin on around them. They forget the fact that they are not animals. They have that "huge nugget" in there heads that should be used for purposes such as curiosity and other characteristics of an intelligent life form. So in my opinion, people like these are behaving like "animals" or so to consider for the fact that they just simply live their lives trying to survive without knowing and appreciating vital pieces of reality.... Just like space.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:15 pm
So, what can we do that will get people more involved in space? Cubesats have been mentioned, as has Nearspace tourism. The trick is to lower the cost so that the average person can be involved, say by getting the cost of building and launching a 5kg space probe down to $100k, so that maybe 100-200 people can be directly involved in financing it. 5kg to orbit should be enough for a small Lunar orbiter, maybe even further than that?

I think Nearspace tourism has promise in awing people, and making space seem closer. It's space tourism for the masses. Get people up there to have a taste of what it's like, and maybe they'll want to go further.

Any more ideas?

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re:   Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 12:38 pm
whoa182 wrote:
Well at the moment people cannot do anything, the stars, the moon and planets are just too out of reach for anyone to seriously consider going in the near term...

After promises upon promises of all the fantastic ideas about space tourism, moon colonization that were supposed to have happened some years ago, people just lost interest and to them its liike " well its not going to happen in my life time anyway! "

A lot of people still have that mentallity about space. Thats what we have to change, we have to make it known that we are going to go to space and this time its really happening, theres no going back. People need to understand that, space is probably our future now.

The xprize got some attention, but still.. people think that the only people that will go is the RICH. So whats the point in getting all excited? What the news and media dont tell them is, its going to get cheaper so me and you can go.

NASA has their own little corner and they pretty much keep a low profile on things now, NASA isnt really cool anymore, they just exist. The way they handled things is really bad, especially with the public.

I do believe things will start picking up over the next 5 years and more people will be interested. Within 10 years... I think Space talk will be common among young and old people :D

Not much has changed since.

Apart from me finding this place and now spamming the hell out of it. :)

I think what people need to realise is that if they want something, they need to work and pay for it.

Now it depends on how many people want said thing, how much it will cost per head to get it.

For an individual forking out billions of dollars to bring the price of getting into space down is pretty much impossible. You would have to become a billionaire and that takes years if not decades.

BUT as a crowd, we could fork out billions upon billions upon billions without any problem.

We do it with other industries, we spend billions on smoking, billions on watching fantasies about going into space, billions on crappy plastic toys, billions on chocolate, or coffee, or tea...etc...

We spend trillions of dollars on things we don't really need, and we still have trillions in our banks just waiting to be spent on more crap.

If we could funnel some of those billions on something more useful and awesome, we could get things going much faster.

Now the only thing we need to do is get all the space enthusiasts and get this into their heads, then offer them an online system where they could spend their billions on the research and engineering projects that need it.

S**ew rofits, s**ew waiting for billionaires to spend the billions they made on us buying crap, s**ew the governments and their crappy policies, and lack of vision.

We could s**ew them all because we have money!

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 12:51 pm
Terraformer wrote:
So, what can we do that will get people more involved in space? Cubesats have been mentioned, as has Nearspace tourism. The trick is to lower the cost so that the average person can be involved, say by getting the cost of building and launching a 5kg space probe down to $100k, so that maybe 100-200 people can be directly involved in financing it. 5kg to orbit should be enough for a small Lunar orbiter, maybe even further than that?

I think Nearspace tourism has promise in awing people, and making space seem closer. It's space tourism for the masses. Get people up there to have a taste of what it's like, and maybe they'll want to go further.

Any more ideas?

Bore them to the point they decide to join you. :)

I think what we need is an interactive website where people can get closer to the research and engineering. News are not enough. We need hands on contact, or live news feeds, and lectures from the people working on the projects. Make the crowd feel that they are there with the researchers working on the problem and they aren't just sitting back and waiting for the problems to be solved.

Also we need games on said website to satisfy the need for problem solving, and also give instant gratification to keep people coming back.
Then we also need to enable the people to donate their time or money to the research projects and institutes they like.
Then we also need to make sure that we don't mess with the crowd. We cannot afford to put them off with profiteering and trying to rip them off.

We could go and do the lunar x prize ourselves, or we could pick teams and support them with funds if they require funds to speed them up. If they need more hands, we could sponsor engineers to join the teams and help them out.

There are so much we could do.

Now tell me.

How late am i with my proposition.

Do people come here regularly with this idea? I have seen one post in another thread from 2 years ago that basically outlined the exact same thing i am preaching here.

And if you have already thought of this, how far have you managed to get, and how come i haven't heard of you?

Are you already working on a crowd sourced crowd funded space program, or you are just trying to connect likeminded people and provide them with news and a place to chat about things?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Why are people not interested in space, or dont even care?   Posted on: Tue May 15, 2012 1:29 pm
Hahahahahaha :)

I think i have become one of those crackpot theorist posters who go into forums and then dump their crazy idea on the rest and then get ignored by everyone. :)

At least that is how my post probably looks like. If it will ever make it through moderation.

Hi moderator, what's with all this moderation?

It's putting me off. :)

Could you just have a bot look through posts and replace every swear word with some random flower name or something?

Wouldn't that be enough moderation?

Or do you need to censor content to make sure things stay on topic?

Then maybe if people voted on comments to be removed and if the votes reach a threshold the comment gets removed kind of system could take care of that problem.

I am just saying this because if you want to handle millions of posts a day from the crowd that is going to be following me here, you will seriously have to rethink this posting system. :)

Otherwise i love your site, why haven't anybody told me about this place?

It would have saved them a lot of headache.

Now back to the topic.

I personally was interested in space exploration for ages, but i didn't see how i could be involved apart from becoming filthy rich, or becoming a scientist/engineer, or a politician.

Then a month or so ago i realised with all these crowd projects on the net, why hasn't anybody started a space program online?

For real, with real money, real people, real projects, real work etc...

I would have been so hooked from the start it's not funny.

So i decided to start my own, and ranted away at my friends and family.
Then i ranted away at space.com.
Then i ranted away on my new website to try and get people off their utts.

And really the only thing that is stopping humans from going forward and going faster is our mindset.

We have plenty of money, we have plenty of expertise, we have plenty of hands to do work. Heck we have a problem that we can't provide enough work for those hands at the moment.

What we don't have is want.

For some reason not enough of us want this. And if they do, they haven't clumped together yet. And if they have, the clump is not large enough. Like this website with 5000 members but only a couple of hundred active ones.

Space.com has articles checked out by over 100 thousand people. Why aren't those people actually working on a space program instead of reading about others working on a space program?

Because there isn't one to engage them...

So this is why i have basically am sieging you people now. You are interested in the subject, you seem to be doing work as part of the subject, but it is not enough.

If it was, there should be millions here by now.

Something is amiss and we need to figure it out, because while this site grew to 5000, facebook grew to 850 million.

The visitor centre at Kennedy Space Centre gets 1.5 million visitors a year. There is clear interest in the subject, but nobody has engaged and made that crowd do actual work.

We need to if we want to speed things up.

Profile WWW
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next