Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Computer System

Computer System

Posted by: Sigma - Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 am
 [ 8 posts ] 
Computer System 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Computer System   Posted on: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 am
Modular computer powered by broadcast magnetic power that each component is a laser networking node. This way the more.components the faster the system no hard routing.

An as hoc address system would need to be.made maybe vector based

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Computer System   Posted on: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 am
That's called a compute cluster. They're normally powered by ordinary power cables though, as that is much more efficient and reduces the risk of affecting any magnetic media. Also, the lasers shine through fibre optic cables; broadcast causes collisions which reduce performance.

Ad-hoc network organisation is usually done through a leader election algorithm.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Computer System   Posted on: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:07 am
I am talking about a motherboard with no motherboard not a network. The reason you would.use no.fiber is to be able to re aim the laser...... If every component routed info a stackable single system could be made..... L.e.d flashing can send light . Add all colors led can pass vectors blinking binary etc. led and camera or laser and photosensitive cells could both do.it.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Computer System   Posted on: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am
But aiming the laser would take a huge amount of time. A packet switched network is much more efficient. LED signaling has been done in remote controls and for PC's as well, and it seems like that could work. But I would just connect neighbours together, and build a switched network on top of that fabric for long-distance communications.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Computer System   Posted on: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:42 am
How far down on the machine are you thinking of? individual IC chips or all the way down to each transistor?

In the context of "here", this wouldn't be a good application in space. Its very electromagnetically noisy at the best of times, and cosmic radiation can play hell with even shielded electronics.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Computer System   Posted on: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:03 am
Not to the individual transistord but individual components, like cpu ram hard drive etc. each piece could be redundant. By communicating via two or more channels error! Correction could be implemented.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Computer System   Posted on: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 pm
I think this type system would work better in a spatial network, than a planar one. Most of the processing accelleration would come from parallel processes, and since this is an LOS dependant system, each node would be able to "See" more components in 3 dimensions. Kind of reminds me of Indri's Net.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I envision the components imbedded in an optical crystal substrate, like Glass, or possibly Diamond. Artificial Quartz might be good for using peiso-electric resonance effects. The neat thing is, you could use the semiconductive properties of the substrate to magnetically isolate the components, because they communicate with light. Using 2 frequencies, it could also use Trinary {-1, 0, 1} bits instead of Binary. This allows bit level boolean {Or, Not, And respectively} at bottom layer, massively parallel for extremely efficient use of the bits.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Computer System   Posted on: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:26 pm
Yeah the individual pulses could also be adress vector color data and the next could be data in binary, vectors and even amplitude magnitude for another stream. Almost like a brain. The reason I decided on empty space was so the system could be ever expanding. I now think a scanning laser projector could power the components via micro solar panels. This way there is no limit to power infrastructure as you could add more power modules.

Also a vacuum would limit collisions....