Community > Forum > Official Cambridge University Spaceflight Forum > Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?

Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?

Posted by: Terraformer - Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 pm
 [ 13 posts ] 
Any Cambridge students who can offer advice? 
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 pm
I've got an interview at Churchill on Thursday (anyone here go to that college?), and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me...?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:26 pm
Terraformer wrote:
I've got an interview at Churchill on Thursday (anyone here go to that college?), and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me...?

Its been a while since i have visited Cambridge but if you are going by car it can be entertaing finding a place to park so leave plenty of time for that and if you are taking a bike on the train take a strong lock and have something on your bike that makes it stand out from the crowd.

Good luck with the interview.

And i know its obvious these days but google their website and read up on what they say about themselves and if they have any useful maps on it print them off even if you have a smart phone its always good to have a back up.

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:17 pm
Interview at T-1250 hours...

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:16 pm
Good luck
I have one at Exeter Uni tomorrow :P haha

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:00 am
Oops. Bit late posting, but you can use the park and ride or the new guided bus and park well out of town to get in to Cambridge without parking problems.

Wave to me as you drive past the Science Park!

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:38 pm
I was too busy crying on my way out of Cambridge... the second interview went terribly; I completely forgot what electronegativity was, the guy wouldn't let me complete my equation before asking whether certain parts would cancel... the interview was nothing like I expected, which threw me. I was not impressed.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:54 pm
Remember that academics are not necessarily good interviewers or have good interpersonal/communication/social skills. Obviously I don't know the situation at all, but in general I'd say don't put all the blame on your side...

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:49 pm
I got my letter on Thursday... and I still don't know if I've got in to Cambridge, because they've pooled me. Grrr.

Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:23 am
Good luck

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:32 pm
Well, I won't be joining CU Spaceflight then - I got my rejection letter today. Ah well, looks like Lancaster is in luck...

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:15 pm
For want of a Mechanics module, an application was rejected...

I got my feedback, and it turns out I was rejected because my UMS was too low. Yet, I reckon that, had my school allowed me to do Mechanics in AS rather than Statistics, I would have been able to score high enough to be accepted... grrr.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:15 pm
Terraformer wrote:
For want of a Mechanics module, an application was rejected...

I got my feedback, and it turns out I was rejected because my UMS was too low. Yet, I reckon that, had my school allowed me to do Mechanics in AS rather than Statistics, I would have been able to score high enough to be accepted... grrr.

Commiserations, it wont help practically but it may be therapeutic to do what this cheeky lass did. :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-16604050

Profile WWW
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Any Cambridge students who can offer advice?   Posted on: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:24 pm
Nah, I don't think I'll be doing that - I may wish to reapply next year.

My Chemistry teacher has, however, sent them the AS UMS of the students who got an A* last year - all below 90 percent, to prove the point that their assumption that AS results are reliable indicators is flawed. :)

Moderators: Ed Moore, Fergus Noble