Community > Forum > Technology & Science > Faster than light neutrinos

Faster than light neutrinos

Posted by: SuperShuki - Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:09 pm
 [ 5 posts ] 

What are the chances that the neutrinos are travelling faster than light?
No chance - there's an error in the experiment. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Very small possibility - Einstein's theory has held up to all kinds of tests, but the scientists who did the experiment aren't amateurs. 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
50/50 - It's up in the air. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Almost certainly faster than light - the test has been done many times, and would be completely accepted if it was about a different subject. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
The neutrinos are definitely going faster than light - Einstein goes the way of Newton. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't know at this stage. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Faster than light neutrinos   Posted on: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:09 pm
I'm sure everybody has heard about the experiment which seems to show that neutrinos travel faster than light. If true, this would be a revolution in physics. What does everybody think about this? What do people think the chances are that the neutrinos are actually traveling faster than light?
[url]
http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2011/0 ... te-physics[/url]

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Faster than light neutrinos   Posted on: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:21 pm
I'm skeptical, it could easily be error or another phenomenon given how complicated and indirect the experiments are. But I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait to see if some new wrinkle of the universe has been found. Its the kind of work the CERN was designed to do.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faster than light neutrinos   Posted on: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:27 pm
I'm skeptical as well, but considering the fact that the FTL-Neutrinos have already been suggested as early as 1985, the results (if correct) are not completely surprising.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Faster than light neutrinos   Posted on: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:32 pm
Well, there's a lot of evidence against stuff going faster than light, but at the same time, those physicists aren't exactly beginners. They've been very careful so far, and I think that's good. I'd say that there's a large probability of this being the result of experimental error, but the chances of it being true are not zero.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Faster than light neutrinos   Posted on: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:35 am
but then you also do not "think" that the photon is a particle, although that is a proven fact*.

* = depending on what properties you measure, wave–particle duality certainly isn't easy to understand.