Community > Forum > The Spaceflight Cafe > Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources

Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources

Posted by: Troubadour - Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:02 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources 
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources   Posted on: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:02 pm
We have been fortunate in recent years to see the explosion in private space interest groups, commercial industry trade organizations, small businesses, and the various relations among them begin to bloom. But I feel that periodic conventions where people trade tips and show off latest developments are kind of an anarchonism - a throwback to a period in the aerospace industry where they were merely selling hardware, with no greater implications to the species as a whole. It may be time to boldly step up to a new level of cooperation, and form an umbrella organization among these disparate interests that can reach consensus about goals, and has access to the pooled resources of all the member institutions. For instance, imagine SpaceX, ULA, XCOR, Virgin Galactic, a host of research university institutions, etc. unifying into a single institution with common goals, objectives, and pooled resources. This should be attempted.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources   Posted on: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:22 am
The Open Source Launch Vehicle Project.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources   Posted on: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 pm
Troubadour wrote:
For instance, imagine SpaceX, ULA, XCOR, Virgin Galactic, a host of research university institutions, etc. unifying into a single institution with common goals, objectives, and pooled resources. This should be attempted.

You need competition to drive private space research. That's why you won't get what you're hoping for.

Profile ICQ
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources   Posted on: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:01 pm
Define the common goal. And something specific, not "make humanity space-faring".

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post Re: Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources   Posted on: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:21 am
IrquiM wrote:
Troubadour wrote:
For instance, imagine SpaceX, ULA, XCOR, Virgin Galactic, a host of research university institutions, etc. unifying into a single institution with common goals, objectives, and pooled resources. This should be attempted.

You need competition to drive private space research. That's why you won't get what you're hoping for.

What I'm suggesting wouldn't interefere with competition, but enhance it - companies would cooperate universally on matters where competition fails to serve due to the enormous up-front costs, but compete all the more aggressively where competition best serves progress.

Ben wrote:
Define the common goal. And something specific, not "make humanity space-faring".

I would want the organization itself to reach such a goal through consensus, but we can give some hypothetical examples: For instance, it could reach consensus on seeking price per kg to LEO as XXX dollars, as an initial goal, and coordinate efforts toward that end. Individual compaines would compete on small-scale, company-level initiatives toward this objective while they would compete in large teams and as well as universal efforts in areas where large-scale action is needed to realize the goal.

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources   Posted on: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:59 pm
What I would like to see is a vehicle capable of carrying ten passengers who's individual weight limit was 250lbs (passanger + baggage) to a 200-250 mile high orbit at $100,000 each. If I can add more to my wish list I would like to take off from conventional airports around the world and land there. Every country would have equal and cheap access to space.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources   Posted on: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 am
lightningbob wrote:
What I would like to see is a vehicle capable of carrying ten passengers who's individual weight limit was 250lbs (passanger + baggage) to a 200-250 mile high orbit at $100,000 each. If I can add more to my wish list I would like to take off from conventional airports around the world and land there. Every country would have equal and cheap access to space.

I think we would all like to see that. Not going to happen though as currently impossible.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Unify the Drive for Space / Coordinate Resources   Posted on: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:24 pm
Yeah. Even if it became technically possible due to a technological breakthrough, it wouldn't be permitted by governmental/regulatory bodies without a fight.