Community > Forum > Official N-Prize Forum > Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details

Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details

Posted by: stew_lilley - Mon May 16, 2011 1:59 am
 [ 86 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details 
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:25 am
Very good work being done tonight! Igniters are now viable and we are ready for the ground test. This will validate our recovery system and we will be go for NSE-6!

Rocketflite Magnalite igniters do work well in a vacuum! If you need ignition in space these will work.

Monroe

Spaceflight Participant
Spaceflight Participant
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:34 pm
Monroe, good luck for NS6.
Best,
Joshua

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:55 pm
Monroe, have you done the ground test yet? What about the NSE-6 mission? It sounded like you were ready to go on Monday.

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:50 am
Burn bans are holding things up. Looks like soon though the 4th I ended up having to do family things and it's kept going. Things are settling down again. Company issues are making a difference also. Looks like I'll be building a 100% scale with working avionics model for Aeronautic Enterprises as well as the space shot rocket for Team Prometheus the company 4 stage is over 40ft tall. We are going to display it at some events to raise funds.

Monroe

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:59 pm
Awesome! It's always disappointing seeing models from people like Starchaser where they have a sick model but no real hardware - it's different when you know the model is just a cheaper version of a real vehicle!

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:12 pm
Or ARCA, who seem to have a "build full scale model first, actually design functional object second" approach.

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:03 pm
If we make something that big it might as well have components we can transfer to the real thing. Actually I believe we could test launch it the structure should be rigid enough if it's underpowered. We will see how it goes. We are ordering materials so it is going to get started on soon. I'm going to do a complete build story on it too.
I'm going to tear down the website again and rebuild that too and do a build up for the space shot rocket as well. The new website wont be flashy but it will document what we have done in detail. There is so much stuff that's not on there and I guess only I can document it properly as our past webmasters cant seem to do.
I'm going to put in all the gory details so your going to have to bare with me while it's under construction. We really have done a lot of work but nobody can see it.

Monroe

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:14 pm
Monroe,

You may want to consider doing your test launch of your G-powered rocket with one of the clubs in Texas. The Alamo Rocketeers are planning a launch for Saturday near San Antonio. DARS is also showing a launch for Saturday on their calendar. If you are interested in launching with them you should contact them to make sure they haven't canceled the launch due to the burn ban.

Several weeks ago I suggested that you test your space rocket at LDRS in Argonia, Kansas during Labor Day weekend. At the time, you thought that would be too late. However, now it looks like the timing might be about right. If fact, your probably a bit behind schedule for getting a rocket ready by Labor Day. I believe LDRS will have a waiver up to 50,000 feet, so it would be a good opportunity to get in some test launches.

Dave

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:06 pm
Monroe wrote:
Looks like I'll be building a 100% scale with working avionics model for Aeronautic Enterprises as well as the space shot rocket for Team Prometheus the company 4 stage is over 40ft tall.

Monroe,

I didn't quite understand your sentence about the 4 stage 40ft rocket. Your sentence seems to be missing some words or punctuation marks. Are you saying that your N-Prize orbital rocket will be 40 feet tall? How much will this weigh? Are you intending to launch this from a balloon, or will it be launched from the ground? When do you plan to launch it? Is it a solid fuel rocket?

Dave

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:09 pm
Dave
Nope, its an Aeronautic Enterprises ground launched and not related to the N-Prize. ANEI is suporting Team Prometheus. Thats where the progress is coming from.

Monroe

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:11 pm
Monroe,

I don't understand. ANEI and Team Prometheus are the same thing. How can one entity be supported by the other when they are really just the same thing. In both cases, they are just one-man organizations with no employees.

Anyhow, aren't you putting the cart before the horse with this 4-stage rocket that's as tall as a four story building? It seems like you should be focusing on the model rocket ground test launch, and then the NSE-6 mission.

Dave

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:09 pm
Everyone here knows there are others on the team right here on the SF Dave it cant be a one man show.

Monroe

It's 47ft tall :)
Burn Ban Dave has been for sometime now. Everywhere within range! Besides what's your hurry? And yeah, ANEI has been making money lately imagine that! No, Team Prometheus is a separate entity and it's non-profit remember? It's so cool that the plan I in-visioned is coming to fruition. It's all a matter of time. It is beginning to work after all. Wait till you see what happens next year :) and the next and the next...

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:19 pm
Monroe wrote:
It's 47ft tall :)
Burn Ban Dave has been for sometime now. Everywhere within range! Besides what's your hurry?

Monroe,

As I suggested a couple of days ago, you had two opportunities to do your test flight today with one of the Texas rocket clubs. Both the Alamo Rocketeers and DARS planned to fly today. I'm puzzle that you don't have a sense of urgency. I assume you still want to win the Carmack prize and the N-Prize. If you're going to do that you better start running some missions.

There are 430 days to the new N-Prize deadline. Your plan was to do the ground test launch by June 1st, which was 45 days ago and about 10% of the time left till the deadline. I can't see how you could possibly be capable of achieving the N-Prize if you slip 10% of the schedule on something as simple as a model rocket launch. Suggestions of a 47-foot 4-stage space rocket is ludicrous until you can prove yourself with simpler launches.

Dave

Profile WWW
Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:46 pm
I need to prove what to who Dave?

Monroe

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Re: Team Prometheus NSE-6 Mission Details   Posted on: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:08 pm
In a methodical approach, you would break up the project into smaller parts and prove out each stage of the project. If you want to win the N-Prize you need to complete all the steps leading up to the orbital launch.

The current step that has been on hold for 6 weeks is to do a gound test of the model rocket with all the electronics. The next step is the NSE-6 mission. After that you need to do the same thing with a high power rocket. Each step builds upon the previous step, and each goal must be achieved before moving on to the next one.

So the answer to your question is that you need to test each step, and prove to yourself that it is functioning as expected.

Profile WWW
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Moderator: Paul H. Dear