Community > Forum > All other competitions > Scaled Composites - GlobalFlyer

Scaled Composites - GlobalFlyer

Posted by: Sigurd - Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:49 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
Scaled Composites - GlobalFlyer 
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Location: Kapellen, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post Scaled Composites - GlobalFlyer   Posted on: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:49 pm
It seems Scaled Composites are not only looking at the x-prize, but one of their other planes is also going to make a new record:

Richard Branson and Steve Fossett have announced the launch of the first solo-piloted aircraft to fly non-stop round the world without refuelling.
The aircraft, code named Model 311, is being built in the US Mojave Desert by Scaled Composites. It will be made entirely from advanced materials and will be ultra light.

A plane called Voyager, which carried two pilots, completed the challenge for the first time in 1986.

GlobalFlyer, which is due to take off next year, is designed by Burt Rutan, who also created Voyager.

Virgin Atlantic hope the journey will be completed in 80 hours.

More information:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3204897.stm

So, if they would do both challanges close to eachother, they will come 2 times in the news. (SpaceShipOne + GlobalFlyer)

Profile WWW
Launch Director
Launch Director
Post    Posted on: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:45 pm
Hi :)

I just posted over in 'General' (about Millionaires) regarding this. Scaled Composite are starting to take centre stage of the new advanced aerospace world. I wish them luck with SpaceShip One.

Launch Director
Launch Director
Post SCALED COMPOSITES   Posted on: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:21 am
"The battle not always to the strong nor the race always to the swift.. but in a horse race that the way to bet"

Go Team RUTTAN

Profile YIM WWW
Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:51 pm
I often wonder if carbon nanotube composites might factor big into making spacecraft. Being only 1/6 the weight of steel and possibly 200x stronger (not sure if that's compressive wise) I'm thinking a composite material made of cnt might make it easy to build an SSTO.

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Tue May 18, 2004 4:55 pm
Spacerat wrote:
I often wonder if carbon nanotube composites might factor big into making spacecraft. Being only 1/6 the weight of steel and possibly 200x stronger (not sure if that's compressive wise) I'm thinking a composite material made of cnt might make it easy to build an SSTO.

it would absolutely be an interesting material for many applications but largescale manufacturing of cnt (enough for building spaceships) is nowhere close yet afaik

Location: Alexander, North Carolina, Planet Earth, the Milky Way Galaxy
Post    Posted on: Wed May 19, 2004 1:48 pm
n54 wrote:
[.. largescale manufacturing of cnt (enough for building spaceships) is nowhere close yet afaik

True, but if things like the X Prize spur the commercial use of space along (and they WILL), the market will then exist and companies will find ways to economically supply carbon composites and the other building blocks for affordable spacecraft. You see it happen in microcosm in every new industry... once government gets out of it and the free market economy cuts in. :P

--Ralph

http://1vid.com

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Wed May 19, 2004 2:19 pm
carbon nanotubes and composites based on them will be created and mass produced independent of the ansari x-prize but i still agree with your thinking

Spaceflight Trainee
Spaceflight Trainee
Post    Posted on: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:42 pm
Seem like the trip has been post-poned to the 6th of feb, according to www.globalflyer.com