Community > Forum > Wirefly X Prize Cup > Which teams will be ready by October?

Which teams will be ready by October?

Posted by: Texan - Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:41 pm
 [ 36 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Which teams will be ready by October? 
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post Which teams will be ready by October?   Posted on: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:41 pm
Who will have ships ready for an X Prize attempt before the end of October 2004?

How long will spaceshipone be delayed? How bad are its' problems?

How far along is Da Vinci?

Is John Carmack still trying to win? How far along is he?

What is Canadian Arrow doing?

Starchaser?

American Astronautics Corp, ARCA and others?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:13 pm
These are just guesses:

Scaled was down about a month or so from the last problem (the landing accident), expect about the same amount of time this time, and possibly one more test flight before they commit to the two X-Prize flights.
Definately ready by October.

DaVinci: Very hard to tell. The claim to be ready to test this summer. But one wonders exactly what this test would be. If someone has been testing the world's largest helium baloon, I would think there would be some attention paid to it in the press by now. They do have a launch lisence, and the Mk VI looks a lot more reasonable then the original WildFire. So how far are they, exactly?

ARCA: Nowhere near ready, but doing cool things with engines.

Canadian Arrow: I think there's a good chance they'll be ready by October.

Space Transport: Could just maybe slightly who-knows could be ready.

American Astronautics: I have a feeling that they might take their time and work on the seven-man vehicle now that it looks like the X-Prize will be unwinnable for them. In fact , I would bet that when they announced they'd stop developing the 1 man test vehicle, they had basically already scrapped the X-Prize attempt altogether.

DiscCraft: first flight sometime in the year 2137

TGV: they are pretty tight lipped. They have a great design. I'd love to see that thing land.

Bristol Aerospace:

Blue Ridge Nebula Airlines: Though disqualified, it hardly matters. They are already piloting the Space Hooptie out in Andromeda from the images they are sending back on the website. How they are able to fold-space and travel back in time to send this images without violating laws of cause-and-effect is a trade secret.

MicroSpace: not without a helluva lot of funding and paperwork at the last minute.

Pioneer: no way.

Kelly: See Pioneer. Sad too.. these two outfits were some of the first of the new wave of alt.space companies to come around.

InterOrbital: haven't heard much from them, but they do have the know-how, the experience with paperwork (The CATS Prize debacle), and a lot of equipment.

HARC: I doubt they'll be ready. But there's always the X-Cup.

SubOrbital/Cosmopolis: Nyet. Will not be ready

Bristol: nope.

Pablo De Leon: I think that the complete loss of their test vehicle set them back, really hard. Otherwise he may well have been one of the front runners.

Advent Launch Services: no

StarChaser: not this year. They've basically said so.

Vanguard: are they even still around?

Lone Star: no

PanAero: from what information I've read on usenet. no. It's a money problem, definately not an engineering problem.

IlAt: not this time

Fundamental Technology: if they were flight testing a HTLH rocketplane somewhere in the United States, someone would have heard by now.

Armadillo: I hope so :)

Flight Exploration: paging Dr. Graham Dorrington. paging Dr. Graham Dorrington..

Profile YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:56 pm
"Armadillo: I hope so"

Me too, but will they? How far along are they?

"Scaled was down about a month or so from the last problem (the landing accident), expect about the same amount of time this time, and possibly one more test flight before they commit to the two X-Prize flights.
Definately ready by October."

Aren't they afraid one of the other teams will be ready if they wait? Of course they don't wanna lose a ship and pilote....

"Pablo De Leon: I think that the complete loss of their test vehicle set them back, really hard. Otherwise he may well have been one of the front runners."

<---I did not know that they had lost their test vehicle, nobody hurt I hope?

"Lone Star: no" <--- sniff :lol:

Yea, nice name but they have nothing.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post Lone Star   Posted on: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:25 am
Lone Star has launched some sounding rockets before. IIRC correctly they were in it for the CATS Prize but never got as far as HARC or JP AEROSPACE, not that anyone ended up winning it.

Again IIRC, they used to use a concrete culvert with holes bored into it as a mission control rooom from their launch area. Cheap, and effective.

Profile YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post De Leon   Posted on: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:26 am
Pablo De Leon's test vehicle was 1/2 scale. It was still pretty big. I don't think anyone was hurt.

Profile YIM
Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post on Scaled   Posted on: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:28 am
I think Scaled has the luxury of waiting. They'd like to win the X-prize, but they've already got themselves in the record books as a 1st. Highest you can always challenge, but 1st is forever. They've proved their point, even if they dont do the two flights/three butts in seats/repeat in two weeks thing before the prize runs out. It would be much worse if they lost the vehicle during this time.

Profile YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:14 pm
If I drew a diagram of Armadillo's suborbital vehicle, and highlighted in red the parts already built, how much would be highlighted in red?

Space Station Commander
Space Station Commander
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:35 am
armadillo is VERY far along compared to everyone but scaled and possibly da vinci. basically all they need to do is tweak the big vehicle, get a license, and test it thoroughly. they could probably theoretically fly before scaled if they had a license, but it would be insanely dangerous. they're the only other team to have done powered flights, though those were just really short boosted hops and hovers. i think we can expect them to be flying to 10-20k feet regularly by the end of the year, and if they can get a license and a spaceport, maybe do suborbital flights. ask john carmack in the armadillo q&a thread if you really want to know, but be sure to read it first and make sure your question hasn't already been asked.

Software Developer

Also, check out my fractals

Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:30 am
I've read all of the Q&A thread and posted in it-the last post there so far was mine.

btw are there pictures of their "big vehicle" on their website? I did not see any that looked big enough to be a three man suborbital vehicle.

Once I went to their site and saw a chair with stuff strapped to it and wondered "Is that their vehicle" I did not really think they were serious till I saw they were good at getting publicity. I voted for them as my favorite team on the X Prize poll.

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:58 am
Texan,

The big vehicle is the one you saw in the tests where it was suspended from a crane. I think in full X-Prize trim it would have a larger fuel tank, however.

Profile YIM
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:19 pm
hmmm... I did not see that on their site. Can you give me the link?

Space Station Member
Space Station Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:11 pm
If you go back through the Armadillo news archives, there are many videos and images of the "big vehicle" in various articles.

Here is one of the more recent images (with a smaller tank for non-liscence flights)

http://media.armadilloaerospace.com/200 ... thCone.jpg

Profile YIM
Moon Mission Member
Moon Mission Member
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:35 pm
yeah, i love armadillo to death but could someone tell me how three people get in that thing? looks like the whole thing is a nose cone? any drawings or pics to show where people go?

Profile WWW
Space Walker
Space Walker
Post    Posted on: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:36 pm
Ok nice :D but that looks kind of cramped for three people, once person yea...

:roll:

Spaceflight Enthusiast
Spaceflight Enthusiast
Post my vote is for scaled   Posted on: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:56 pm
I have full confidence with Rutan and the scaled team to work out the problems... I say the xprize attempt will be made in September.

BTW, new scaled pics are up here: http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/photos.htm

Videos of spaceshipone's most recent flight into space:
http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/video.htm

Cheers!

Last edited by maraudr on Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.